2023/2024 Fernie area

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Was out today and yes the snow pack is certainly low but we managed to have a good first day without any carnage . Max we probed was 85 CMS. Last year at beginning of December it was 120 cms
7305c22a8eff8a36cf23ed1196eb838b.jpg
2cde4f2a616f4532956132914dd236c5.jpg
9d1a9c357bc65940a8714393a4b4d5fd.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Tell Ken it's about time he got to test out those recalls! 😂😂😂 I believe I met you at the A&W September long weekend. I was out fishing with my dad.... Anyway looks like you had a great day. I only found 70cm where I was Saturday. Ken know where and it cost me a A arm 🙄

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell Ken it's about time he got to test out those recalls! 😂😂😂 I believe I met you at the A&W September long weekend. I was out fishing with my dad.... Anyway looks like you had a great day. I only found 70cm where I was Saturday. Ken know where and it cost me a A arm 🙄
He mentioned that another buddy had a bit of carnage. His 9R is running sweet.

Got Juice?

Reaction score
I like riding Fernie and Elkford, but sometimes the little known stuff is so much better. Virgin Pow, lots of it, 2' of well set up base. Where we were trenching last weekend, today it was just about having fun and for that matter, I did not get stuck once. Damn!

Got Juice?

Reaction score
Considerable avalanche conditions?
Unbelieveably no. I dug 2 pits and only found 1 shear plane but it was close to the surface snow. Both were at 9" and 11" below the top layer.

It appears that the earlier rain on monday caused the plane to form and the remaining 9-11" of snow we had made up the top.

If there was risk, it would certainly be classed as minimal.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What area is this? Where is Bull River?
It is west of Elkford. The ending of Crossing Creek trail is the Bull River FSR.
A highly technical area with lots of avy concerns. A video posted the other day shows only 90 cm. In my 20 years of sledding there, that is minimal coverage.
Crossing Creek trail is the access to Crossing Lakes, Smith Basin, Koko Claims (Elkford cabin), Mear Lake and Cowboy basin, the Gorge, Tundra, and the infamous Wayne’s World. One can get up to 8000’ with a little work but I am sure the snow cover isn’t enough for those places just yet.

Got Juice?

Reaction score
That was a lot of logging roads. You worked for that basin.
You were on the actual Bull River side and started in Galloway, or the Bull River store?
Good eye for details! Worked our way from the Galloway side. one downside of the bird eye view is it looks to be low consequence all the way up. 3 or 4 spots you must be careful, it’s a long way to heli a sled out.

Last edited:

Got Juice?

Reaction score
The road ride was good. I did not go off trail as much as last time. I ate my bars on a drop down and wasn’t feeling terribly adventurous after. Plus it dented my fav coffee mug!!! Even on the road/path scratchers were not needed, the weekend before I was off in the treed areas playing. Lots of snow, lots of fun :). Iirc we started at 1030 and we finished around 330 ish.

Got Juice?

Reaction score
The video I was referring to was out of Elkford. 12 km to the top of Koko Claims and then it starts dropping down to the Bull River FSR and that is north of where you were.
Yes I belong to the Elkford club. Super nice people. To work backwards to that area made no sense on that particular day, and our group leader had been through there on snowshoe 3 weeks earlier. It was really really good.

Got Juice?

Reaction score
That was First Peak behind Galloway off Big Sand. No where near Bull River. I thought so from the pictures, but the route map confirmed it.
And it’s snowing an absolute storm up there again. Should be another 6” I hope by the weekend! I would like to go next weekend to Summer lake and work my way east to the back side of Dingley or Drop into Bear Lake or Mt Ruault. Just have to see what the snow Gods have in store this week.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And it’s snowing an absolute storm up there again. Should be another 6” I hope by the weekend! I would like to go next weekend to Summer lake and work my way east to the back side of Dingley or Drop into Bear Lake or Mt Ruault. Just have to see what the snow Gods have in store this week.
Might need more snow for Bear Lake. Lotta big rock going into there.

Top Bottom