2017 Sneak Peek tonight in St.Albert

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple more. The yellow axys looks way better than the orange.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 311

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you ride an Assault with bars like this from the factory.
Yea. They are definitely too far back. And a little short. I moved mine up so they are pretty well vertical. Much better. But may have to extend them...

And I wish I could have gotten the retro color scheme!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
"The orange 2.5 850 you guys weighed was full of fuel and oil... ". Your words T-team
Was just going to call bull **** on the 850 weighing just over the 400 lb mark full of fluids?

Call bull**** all you want? And yes... I realize those were my words... as I wrote them...What are you getting at? I was there.. We checked. The numbers probably weren't accurate.... If you had been paying attention to what everyone was saying... The SPREAD is what people should be paying attention too.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call bull**** all you want? And yes... I realize those were my words... as I wrote them...What are you getting at? I was there.. We checked. The numbers probably weren't accurate.... If you had been paying attention to what everyone was saying... The SPREAD is what people should be paying attention too.

I understand what everyone is saying and I am paying attention, unlike yourself ?
First you say it was full of fuel and oil and then it wasn't ? So you tell me who isn't paying attention?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting experiment....my 1st thoughts were about equal fluids in each one because that can make quite a difference from one sled to the next.

Also noticed that you were placing a board on the scales when weighing the back end....the pics I saw show the board close to the edge of the scale....the board probably should be across the middle of the scale to be closer to accurate weights. Those cheap bathroom scales can read different if you put weight on the edge vs placing the weight equally on the complete platform.

There is no reason in my mind why the manufacturers cannot publish dry weights of each machine instead of having this "guessing game" every year.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I understand what everyone is saying and I am paying attention, unlike yourself ?
First you say it was full of fuel and oil and then it wasn't ? So you tell me who isn't paying attention?

What the hell are you talking about? Are you in here to argue about something or to get information....Im not sure what you are getting at.
I said there was oil and fuel in that one... I never went back and corrected myself on it. If you want an exact teaspoon amount of how much fuel was in it I have no idea. Im sorry I kicked your dog or whatever happened here lol

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting experiment....my 1st thoughts were about equal fluids in each one because that can make quite a difference from one sled to the next.

Also noticed that you were placing a board on the scales when weighing the back end....the pics I saw show the board close to the edge of the scale....the board probably should be across the middle of the scale to be closer to accurate weights. Those cheap bathroom scales can read different if you put weight on the edge vs placing the weight equally on the complete platform.

There is no reason in my mind why the manufacturers cannot publish dry weights of each machine instead of having this "guessing game" every year.

Personnally to me wet weight as you are about to leave the staging area is the important weight if you are going to play the weight game. I have never driven nor seen anyone drive a dry sled and not saying that manufacturers weight are untruthfull (lol) but dry does not mean the same to evryone. Dry weight is the hot sexy number but like 36DDD is it real? Full of fluids to the top of all holding cells.....kind of hard to tinker with that one.
Weight is not such a big concern as I am one of those that can not drive a new stock sled to it's full potential. Handling and durability are right in there. Except for the odd sled that is a lemon like a vehicle there are no "bad" sleds. Doo is a ? as the new motor and chassis need to be production volume proven.
To bad there is not another show around Edmonton to do the wet weight..........maybe some one will do a wet weight next fall of all four sleds of the same track length - 163ish - just for giggles and chits.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personnally to me wet weight as you are about to leave the staging area is the important weight if you are going to play the weight game. I have never driven nor seen anyone drive a dry sled and not saying that manufacturers weight are untruthfull (lol) but dry does not mean the same to evryone. Dry weight is the hot sexy number but like 36DDD is it real? Full of fluids to the top of all holding cells.....kind of hard to tinker with that one.
Weight is not such a big concern as I am one of those that can not drive a new stock sled to it's full potential. Handling and durability are right in there. Except for the odd sled that is a lemon like a vehicle there are no "bad" sleds. Doo is a ? as the new motor and chassis need to be production volume proven.
To bad there is not another show around Edmonton to do the wet weight..........maybe some one will do a wet weight next fall of all four sleds of the same track length - 163ish - just for giggles and chits.

I agree, a wet weight would be better...full of fluids...ready to go..... But, at least with a true dry weight (as any manufacturer can do before they ship it), most of us are smart enough to add the weight of fluids....you know how many litres of fuel your sled holds

And, you are right, can any average operator really notice 10 lbs difference....or even 25 lbs?.....doubt it.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just find it odd that at a show like this you would have fuel in your sleds your showcasing to the public to sell. You know guys are going to be tipping them over, lifting the fronts and backs and all the other garage boondocking we do. You would want that sled to feel as light as possible to enhance your first impressions. Our weigh in was strictly for fun not scientific or meant to brand bash. I will weigh myself tonight on the wood on the edges and centred to see the differences.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people, myself included, get to caught up in the the weight game. Full of fluid weight is about as useless as a dry weight. What do either of them matter? Ride a sled for an hour and look at it. Loaded with snow. Probly a jerry can/gear bag box of some sort. Different sleds hold different amounts of snow.

I think we should all just be honest, and say the weight really isn't as big of deal as most make it out to be.

It's like hockey or football- fun to talk about for some, but has ZERO real importance or significance on any of us.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another that surprises me is the Yamaha guys. The viper is the same weight as a 2001 summit 800. Only took them 16 years but there in the under 600 lb class now.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another that surprises me is the Yamaha guys. The viper is the same weight as a 2001 summit 800. Only took them 16 years but there in the under 600 lb class now.

Yamaha gives it's riders an mountain sled with 200 hp from factory. BRP gives its riders a mountain sled with torsion springs and horizontal steering. Neither one is in competition with the other :coffee1:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We brought some scales to the show. Here's our very scientific NASA confirmed weights of the sled. All weights are within 100 lbs so no bitching.
162 viper sidewinder mtx. 584 lbs
850 doo 165 2.5" track. 476 lbs
T3 174. 491 lbs
174 axys. 472 lbs
163 3" axys. 461 lbs
163 2.6" axys. 442 lbs
not at the show but in my garage 174 turbo pro. 474 lbs

Power to weight ratio calculations, at 7000 feet altitude:

162 viper sidewinder mtx. 584 lbs 584 lb / 204HP = 2.86 lbs/hp
850 doo 165 2.5" track. 476 lbs 476 lb / 134 HP = 3.55 lbs/hp
T3 174. 491 lbs 491 lb / 130 HP = 3.77 lbs/hp
174 axys. 472 lbs 472lb / 126 HP = 3.74 lbs/hp
163 3" axys. 461 lbs 461 lb/ 126HP = 3.65 lbs/hp
163 2.6" axys. 442 lbs 442 lb / 126HP = 3.50 lbs /hp

So, who was that guy saying that power to weight ratio is what really mattered? Oh yeah.......summitric. :)

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't you guys know bathroom scales are misleading.
Tells me I'm heavy too.

Still nice to know a rough weight.
Just ordered a hanging scale. Now we will see how close the ol bathroom scales are.Could be eating a lot of duck if it's not close!HA

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So, who was that guy saying that power to weight ratio is what really mattered? Oh yeah.......summitric. :)

If Yamaha builds a 600# ish sled with 300hp it will be wicked fast and have the best power to weight ratio for the next 20 yrs.
But it will still be heavy, I know it masks it's weight sooo well.

Sorry but a pig with lipstick and fast legs is still a pig.

Stock 2 stroke and you will not be nearly as tired at the end of the day.
And yes I have driven Yammie turbos, they have their place but no thanks.
I have also driven all of the smokers and I will ride any of the three first.

Pick any brand and grab the bar with one hand and pull it over.
Go do that with the Yammie, hmmmm the weight masking doesn't work so good eh???
You just can't hide 115# with 200+ hp at 7000' where the rider has less air to breath also.
Just a matter of what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

Talking about weight; did he ever post the scale ticket with the actual wet weight of his kid's pickup truck?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Yamaha builds a 600# ish sled with 300hp it will be wicked fast and have the best power to weight ratio for the next 20 yrs.
But it will still be heavy, I know it masks it's weight sooo well.

Sorry but a pig with lipstick and fast legs is still a pig.

Stock 2 stroke and you will not be nearly as tired at the end of the day.
And yes I have driven Yammie turbos, they have their place but no thanks.
I have also driven all of the smokers and I will ride any of the three first.

Pick any brand and grab the bar with one hand and pull it over.
Go do that with the Yammie, hmmmm the weight masking doesn't work so good eh???
You just can't hide 115# with 200+ hp at 7000' where the rider has less air to breath also.
Just a matter of what you are looking for.

Please tell me you are not bringing up an old farm story.......lol

Top Bottom