2016 Polaris AXYS RMK long track

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Torque and clutching are the reason Pro's are competitive with less HP. Polaris clutching is just way better. Why else wouldn't the 160 hp totally dominate easily over the 145 hp sled. Assuming they lie equally, :).
Actually I disagree, Doo clutching is better for belt grip for the bottom end and midrange (where most mountain riding is done), Poo clutching works better for top end stuff. The Doo clutches take a lot more set up but have lots more variables to play with, lots of guys hate on them because they simply can't figure them out. Polaris clutches were used by lots of Doo guys racing years back for simplicity, because you can change weights and profiles in about 3 mins without doing anything to the sled (on the Doo you have to take half the clutch apart to get at it) and the Poo clutch was lighter, so faster revs.

I think Poo has a winner chassis since the sled is balanced slightly better than the Doo. The sled was lighter so the performance advantage is comparable because the power to weight is the same even though the Pro has less of both, not because the clutching is that much better.

I think the belt drive being more efficient than a chain helps as well putting more power and torque to the track. I've always believed this is the best setup. Just wish they would move the brake disc down as having no brakes if you break that belt makes me nervous.
The belt drive helps lose that critical rotating mass, which helps with flow when riding as you are not fighting other weight or rotational forces on the chassis.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of those riders are somebodies because Polaris has payed them to become 'somebody'

And the T3 is a deep powder sled, I think everyone agrees with that. Hill climb races are not in "powder" by any means. Most of those guys cut lugs down and put screws in them and also widen the front ends which takes away two of the T3's most positive features

the guys running the RMSHA aren't running the T3 package, they are using the Free Ride chassis which is a wider stance. So no one is modifying the front end of a T3. Pretty well all the new race sleds from all the manufacturers are going to a narrower front end on the hillclimb sleds as time moves on. for 2015 Cat is now down 2" to 40" overall (used to be the widest) in the HCR, and that is right on par with the Assault and the Free Ride.

Sorry to be off topic but as a rebuttal to your comment - So many of these guys can actually ride and weren't just "paid" to be great as you are somehow are suggesting. Polaris has built a better sled because of input from guys like Curtis, Burandt, etc, Same reason Doo has built a better sled because of input from guys like Kuster, Alford and Rasmussen. Same reasons for both Cat with McClure, and Johnson for Yamaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5UZh8MHKvE

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I disagree, Doo clutching is better for belt grip for the bottom end and midrange (where most mountain riding is done), Poo clutching works better for top end stuff. The Doo clutches take a lot more set up but have lots more variables to play with, lots of guys hate on them because they simply can't figure them out. Polaris clutches were used by lots of Doo guys racing years back for simplicity, because you can change weights and profiles in about 3 mins without doing anything to the sled (on the Doo you have to take half the clutch apart to get at it) and the Poo clutch was lighter, so faster revs.

I think Poo has a winner chassis since the sled is balanced slightly better than the Doo. The sled was lighter so the performance advantage is comparable because the power to weight is the same even though the Pro has less of both, not because the clutching is that much better.

The belt drive helps lose that critical rotating mass, which helps with flow when riding as you are not fighting other weight or rotational forces on the chassis.

I agree and i think Simplicity is usually the one factor that is most important to the majority of guys. I always smile when I hear the comments " they are way better if you know how to tune them or if you figure it out or once you make the changes to dial them in ".
Isn't that what the $15000 was for . :)

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree and i think Simplicity is usually the one factor that is most important to the majority of guys. I always smile when I hear the comments " they are way better if you know how to tune them or if you figure it out or once you make the changes to dial them in ".
Isn't that what the $15000 was for . :)

In stock form they work just as well as any other clutch and IMO the doo has better clutch with the adjustable ramps for high altitude adjustments. It's when guys start modifying them in some way, that they are more fine tuneable and guys don't understand them. With the poo and cats it's usually a matter of changing the weights or spring.

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom