2015 Yamahas Released

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has put one of the best motors in the business in a very capable borrowed chassis...yamaha dealers should have a good winter coming up.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just for the kicks to help entertain LBZ, i stopped in at Vernon Motorsports, Yamaha/Cat dealer.
This is what we found, Yamaha 2014 SR ViperXTX, which is a crossover Viper with the 144 smaller lug specs. according to Yamaha specification sheet 505Lbs.
Now add the longer 163x2.5 track and rails, plus the longer tunnel, they put it at 540-545Lbs for the mountian version, (they had no spec's on the mountian version yet).
We also looked at the spec's. of the Cat M1100 with the 163 track in stock form and Cat spec's are 570Lbs, according to Cat service manual.
According to the dealer and Yamaha, the Cat M1100 and the Viper share the EXACT chassi with the exception of the motor. Viper uses the Nytro yamaha motor.
So unless there is a difference of 30Lbs between an 1100 Cat motor and a Nytro motor, i would conclued that the new Viper will be near the weight of the Nytro MTX, which is 550Lbs in stock form according to Yamaha service manual.
The biggest difference Yamaha fans will get is NOT weight reduction but a DIFFERENT chassi. Supposedly better then the Nytro, i guess time will tell if it is.
So that is what the dealer and i conclueded looking at all the info we had, now you make your own concluesion's.

BTW, i forgot to mention that the 1100 Cat that we spec'ed out is a factory turbo model. So you can add 20Lbs to that sled just for the turbo, thus making a NON turbo model closer to the Nytro weight of 550Lbs.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think people need to take into account the chassis and how well the manufacturer can "hide" that extra weight. If the motor is lower and put closer to the chassis pivot point then it can feel lighter to ride than it actually is. I know a few folks that have rode the new Viper platform and they seem quite happy with the handling as opposed to the Nytro and Apex offerings. Right now the Polaris Pro is the lightest mountain sled you can buy. I rode it and it felt very light and nimble to me. I personally ride an XM and it also feels very light and nimble to me. The XM is a heavier sled than the Pro but Doo has done a great job of hiding that weight with the XM platform. I applaud Yamaha for going the Viper route. They obviously are committed to the 4 stroke program and are working hard with the help of some pretty smart guys like Fuji and Chris Brown to make it a great handling package. And then there is the whole boost thing......lol. Pretty hard to top that if your an adrenaline junky.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to take a 2014 viper with a 290 mcx kit for a weekend. Very nice sled, I found in the snow conditions we had about 4 inches of powder it handled very much like my t-apex. Being a borrowed 30,000 sled you are more cautious. It definitely does side hill easier as it has a 2 wheel on the rear, 15inch track and no stabilizer. Down the trail ride is equal. Power is really good but my 290 spools quicker. Not everyone rides tight trees or side hills like Brandt but we all play in powder and In the steep and deep it is very hard to out do a 290+ monster breaking trail. JMO

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want to know the future of the chassis just look at the 13 snopro it will be yammies new chassis most likely. just small changes but improvements forsure.

Reaction score
It's always been and will always be a battle 2v4. I'm lucky enough to have both and usually bring both with me when I head to the mountains. Here's my take. Every rider has has a different level of endurance and strength. I think people are scared of what they aren't use to or make decisions based on "my buddy" or "a guy in our group" instead of actually putting seat time in. I first started on my fourstroke frustrated because I was trying to ride it like a two stroke. Once you understand the differentiating power differences between the two you will fall in love with both machines that much more. I'll put both machines in the same places and I don't go Into an area saying I can't go there on this machine, instead I go into the area based on my skill set. At the end of the day I'm tired because I try and burn all my fuel, not because of what I ride. That's why we go right?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know when i'm breaking trail in 3 feet of snow for a group @ 18psi boost i've never thought to myself I really wish I was on a lighter, less powerful, less reliable sled right now. The 2 strokes are lighter thats no secret but when im sitting on one WOT in the deep stuff I'm always wondering if its going to hold together. Im not a brand loyale guy owned polaris, doo, and the last 6 ish years its been turbo yammies because they work and are reliable even after we bolt on 150 extra hp they were not designed for. Im pretty sure one of these vipers will be in the garage some day but ill probably let someone else be the guinie pig first until then the old turn key nytro with 6000 boosted km on it will have to do.

togo ripper

Reaction score
I know the pro climb is a great chassis very light and handles awesome but am I the only one who is a little disappointed in the fact that yamaha hasn't designed anything new themselves this year besides doing the obvious and stretching a viper especially since its the 50th anniversary is it not

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a big fan of the pro, im not even sure its the light weight that really makes it. For me, it more the geometry and rider position. The Nytro was very uncomfortable to ride slowly off camber. The weight added to the problem.
But the Mtn viper seems to mirror the pro/pro climb geometry, so even if they didn't shed weight, or even try to hide it, it looks like is a very comfortable machine to take int9 the tighter stuff. Mix that with real power, track and clutching... I think they have a real winner. One I'd definatly like to try.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell that to Jorgenson and Chris Brown... I rode through some pretty tight trees with Chris last year, and he can make that sled dance.
I hopped on a stock Nytro last year, and took it in the trees. They weren't super tight trees, and I had my issues at first, but quickly got a handle on it, and the stock skis are complete crap. I'm really interested in trying out the Viper. It's tough to argue with the reliability and peace of mind of riding a Yammy.

This, Hit the gym, gain the extra muscle and learn to handle the beast. Plus i thought Cats don't hold the snow like doos and poos do? So would this not be the same for the Viper?

Lots of good discussion here.

I will add.....if you can ride an 800 Prolimb you can can ride a Viper MTX. They feel rather similar.:)

Cheers
RS

I'll be in Revy for the Week from Feb 21, I would really like to try a Turbo viper :D might be my next sled :)

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading some of the reviews in this thread and elsewhere it sounds like Yamaha has a sled that people will actually consider buying. I'll eat my words about it not being boosted. The thing is, why can't they squeeze another 25-35hp out of that 1050cc powerplant? Make that thing wail like a street bike. You still have the superior reliability and build quality and more power. Boost is all fine and good but its another chunk of weight over the front end. I think if they were 160-165hp out of the box and with some demo rides a lot more people would be signing the papers on them.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading some of the reviews in this thread and elsewhere it sounds like Yamaha has a sled that people will actually consider buying. I'll eat my words about it not being boosted. The thing is, why can't they squeeze another 25-35hp out of that 1050cc powerplant? Make that thing wail like a street bike. You still have the superior reliability and build quality and more power. Boost is all fine and good but its another chunk of weight over the front end. I think if they were 160-165hp out of the box and with some demo rides a lot more people would be signing the papers on them.
Like any 4 stroke, the way to more HP is more RPM. Over 8000, clutch components maybe don't want to last as long.....or you have to have a gear reduction on the side of the motor (Apex)....I dunno, just spit-ballin....I'm not an engineer.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like any 4 stroke, the way to more HP is more RPM. Over 8000, clutch components maybe don't want to last as long.....or you have to have a gear reduction on the side of the motor (Apex)....I dunno, just spit-ballin....I'm not an engineer.

Correct, the clutches used on the 4strokes are not design for the RPMs a 4stroke is capable of doing, thus why a reduction gear is used on motors like the Apex.
Which is an R1 motorcycle motor capable of 13,000rpms. The Nytro motor is an actual sled motor, designed for sleds and it peaks at 8750rpms, good thing yamaha clutches are the best in the industry cause most others clutches would fail in a very short time.
One thing alot of people fail to realize is the huge or fat power curve 4strokes have in comparison to a 2stroke. Most 4strokes can maintian better track speed longer then a comparable 2stroke because of this, unfortunitely their weight is their down fall and catches up to them.....the only cure is boost.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you can get about 165+ out of a nytro motor no prob, head work,header & exaust,air intake mod & a bit of compression,then run run 91 oct.of coarse this would cost close to 4000$,head work is 2000+$,yammi snowcross sleds make around 180hp.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any downsides to the forward front ends? Just curious if there is a reason guys are putting them on aftermarket, and Yamaha is not just doing it from the get go. The less aftermarket parts a guy has to put on, the more tempting it is to get one. If a guy could have a stock viper with a boost it kit and not need anything else, I think they are going to sell a lot more of them. When you have to put 30k into them to make them into a great sled I think they cut out a lot of potential buyers.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Are there any downsides to the forward front ends? Just curious if there is a reason guys are putting them on aftermarket, and Yamaha is not just doing it from the get go. The less aftermarket parts a guy has to put on, the more tempting it is to get one. If a guy could have a stock viper with a boost it kit and not need anything else, I think they are going to sell a lot more of them. When you have to put 30k into them to make them into a great sled I think they cut out a lot of potential buyers.
I have ridden them with both front end setups and I really like the stock 38 inch stance.
In my opinion, the only items that need to be changed, are the rear shock, and the skis. Maybe they will come with a more mountain specific ski on production models.
The rear shock can not handle any kind of power. Zbros has a coil over replacement and a coupling device for a very reasonable price, and of course there are many other suspension options.

Top Bottom