2015 174 t3

doorider45

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is not happy with the performance on the 2015 174? had a 2014 163 with a mbrp can and it rnrd all over the place.You know that smile you get when it just blows you away…
full slp exhaust system just finished break in and it does not respond the same? Any input??

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I snow checked 2 174 last year and rode them for a weekend and came home and sold them. Back to 163-t3.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2015 174 T3 - For Me - I cant be more impressed at how well it performs ! The thing just keeps climbing in the steep and deep , it also maneuvers very well tree riding - letting on and off the throttle is alot more forgiving! - had a 2013 XM 163 previously and it is not in the capable of keeping up - like it can eventually get to where the 174 is but may take a few try's ! Only problem I have in really deep conditions I've had to clicker up to #5 to get the correct rpm and then theres the other problem I'll never get rid of - permanent Grin

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2015 174 T3 - For Me - I cant be more impressed at how well it performs ! The thing just keeps climbing in the steep and deep , it also maneuvers very well tree riding - letting on and off the throttle is alot more forgiving! - had a 2013 XM 163 previously and it is not in the capable of keeping up - like it can eventually get to where the 174 is but may take a few try's ! Only problem I have in really deep conditions I've had to clicker up to #5 to get the correct rpm and then theres the other problem I'll never get rid of - permanent Grin

what he said exactly ^^^

you may be noticing it doesnt respond the same because it just doesnt. it has more track to spin and you know it. in marginal snow conditions the sled isnt as fast, doesnt wheelie at all and generally feels a bit slower due to spinning all that track. but when the snow is deep look out you would never go back to riding a 163 again trying to navigate deep steep snow after doing it with the 174.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Love mine, it rocks, and would give my old rt1000 162" a solid run... Floatation next to none, is the deep stuff. With the raptors on all 4, it's a dream in the bumps. Solid engine. Yup, permanent grin :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I snow checked 2 174 last year and rode them for a weekend and came home and sold them. Back to 163-t3.

I bought one of the 174s that Milton had. I was pretty impressed with it, but never got the **** eating grin I got from my BB XP. Climbed just about everything or went anywhere I wanted too, but just wouldn't pull track speed (I know, its a 174 with an 800 mill). Put a full TSS Y-pipe(Bikeman), pipe and tunnel dump can on,added a billet thermostat, changed out a primary spring and geared up alittle(not running a tensioner) and the grin is coming back. Totally different sled than last year. All top end, but that is ok with me. I walk around at 6'1" and 250lbs without gear, so I expect the sled to labour a bit. Cost me $1500 or so but happy with the additions so far.

Limbo

Reaction score
One thing that seems to make a world of difference to see is keeping the clickers set for the snow, my butt dyno tells me the etec doesn't make anywhere near the power at 7700RPM that it does at 7900RPM. The 174 3" seems more sensitive to changing snow conditions, probably due to the massive amount of traction it generates. Long story short....if you aren't seeing 7900RPM when the track is under load you aren't going to have fun.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even on my 163, I had clickers at 3 for the trail up. Got into the snow climbing some hills, barely made it to the top, had to turn back down. I could hear the engine/exhaust not screaming like it normally does around 8000rpm.

Turned clickers to 5 and was pulling 8000rpm, exhaust was screaming and what a difference, right to the top and over. Etec has to be screaming to make power. If you have a can you can hear it change tone up around 7700rpm or so.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what he said exactly ^^^

you may be noticing it doesnt respond the same because it just doesnt. it has more track to spin and you know it. in marginal snow conditions the sled isnt as fast, doesnt wheelie at all and generally feels a bit slower due to spinning all that track. but when the snow is deep look out you would never go back to riding a 163 again trying to navigate deep steep snow after doing it with the 174.

... says the guy that just went from a 174 to a 154?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even on my 163, I had clickers at 3 for the trail up. Got into the snow climbing some hills, barely made it to the top, had to turn back down. I could hear the engine/exhaust not screaming like it normally does around 8000rpm.

Turned clickers to 5 and was pulling 8000rpm, exhaust was screaming and what a difference, right to the top and over. Etec has to be screaming to make power. If you have a can you can hear it change tone up around 7700rpm or so.
Run w/e clicker it needs to get peak power. These 800 r's have always needed 81-8200 rpm. I guess if that's 'screaming' then yes, it needs to be screaming. I'm not sure why they can never make these run proper revs without clicker 5/6. Makes me think these things have lot of power being wasted.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peak power is 8000rpm on an etec, after that power falls off. At 7700rpm, you're 10hp short.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is not happy with the performance on the 2015 174? had a 2014 163 with a mbrp can and it rnrd all over the place.You know that smile you get when it just blows you away…
full slp exhaust system just finished break in and it does not respond the same? Any input??

A boost-it turbo system should get you smiling from ear to ear:)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try putting the stock exhaust back on. SLP kits are hit and miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But in all honesty ive rode with them all and a 174 t3 works well if the clutchs are dialed etc. My buddy was on one last winter and hes about 160lbs and a good rider. He made a pull on it that looked to me like a turbo track. Up thro the trees and gone. The 163's work well also. I ride a 14 162 2.6 Cat and I guess its not as much track etc but my cat is very close to on par to where those 163's will go. It surprises me to be honest. 3 inch would make it better but that 2.6 will surprise lots of people. Im actually nervous to go with a 3 inch challenger.... not sure why but I am. From the 174's Ive ridden I find you can tell that extra length is there, tho in the deep its a huge benefit. As an all around sled I think you cant go wrong with the 163. Just for those setup spring days....

Top Bottom