2014 skidoo

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems that some of the guys on here seem to think it is a weak link when a company uses components from other manufacturers. I am willing to bet that many of those same guys drive a Dodge truck with a Cummins in it. Kind of ironic.

Many, many companies use outside sources in their manufacturing....so what?

And yes, Bombardier is a MASSIVE company, much bigger than Arctic Cat. Hell, BRP is a huge company compared to Arctic Cat. BRP has 6500 employees....Cat, maybe 1500?

I hate to say it again but Cat is building their company solely on company profits and investments.....no govt subsidies to prop them up when they were down.

You are missing the point, there is nothing wrong with Artic Cat out sourcing motors... They couldnt do it any other way,,, Comparing them to a company that just picked up a contract to build 250 learjets worth 7.5billion dollars(and thats just 1 contract) is just dumb,,, there is no comparison... Bombardier employ's over 80,000(Canada's 3rd largest employer) That doesnt include BRP which is a different company...

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is this I see....

Attachments

• 2014doo.jpg
    2014doo.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 170

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems that some of the guys on here seem to think it is a weak link when a company uses components from other manufacturers. I am willing to bet that many of those same guys drive a Dodge truck with a Cummins in it. Kind of ironic.

Many, many companies use outside sources in their manufacturing....so what?

And yes, Bombardier is a MASSIVE company, much bigger than Arctic Cat. Hell, BRP is a huge company compared to Arctic Cat. BRP has 6500 employees....Cat, maybe 1500?

I hate to say it again but Cat is building their company solely on company profits and investments.....no govt subsidies to prop them up when they were down.

Dodge doesn't use their competitors engines in their truck. Cat is using one of their competitors though. Totally different. Also, cummins only makes engines, not trucks. Yamaha makes engines and sleds so basically in the end you have two competitors working together to make a sled which in my mind is an indication of two companies having trouble getting a grip on a portion of the market.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP own ROTAX LMAO

I thought we were talking directly in house? My understanding is that Bombardier (the parent company, not BRP) owns Rotax (bought in 1970) as it is a separate engine company and also makes engines for BMW, Aprilia, Buell, as well as jet engines, marine engines, industrial engines, blah blah for all their divisions. BRP is its own company and does not own Rotax directly.

At least that was my understanding. Snopro?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought we were talking directly in house? My understanding is that Bombardier (the parent company, not BRP) owns Rotax (bought in 1970) as it is a separate engine company and also makes engines for BMW, Aprilia, Buell, as well as jet engines, marine engines, industrial engines, blah blah for all their divisions. BRP is its own company and does not own Rotax directly.

Nope.
In 2003, Bombardier Inc. sold its Recreational Products Division to a group of investors: (50%), the Bombardier family (35%) and the (15%).
The newly formed company was named Bombardier Recreational Products and included all the activities started 60 years earlier by its founder. As of October 6, 2009[SUP][update][/SUP] it had about 5,500 employees working;[SUP][1][/SUP] its revenues in 2007 are above US$2.5 . BRP has manufacturing facilities in five countries, Canada, the United States (Wisconsin, Illinois, North Carolina), Mexico, Finland and Austria. The company’s products are sold in more than 80 countries, 18 of which have their own direct sales network.[SUP][2][/SUP]
BRP has a long legacy of innovation and has multiple brands: , (ATV & ), (PWC and SportBoats), , , and .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Rotax was an independent company until 1970 when Bombardier purchased all the shares. They were transferred over to BRP in 2003 along with all the other recreational entities once the sale was complete to Bain, the Bombardier family, et al. They are in fact owned by the BRP management group and BRP Holdings today. They have been owned by some entity of Bombardier one way or another since 1970.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just hope the server doesnt crash. Last time it lagged out cause to many people were on it hahahah

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge doesn't use their competitors engines in their truck. Cat is using one of their competitors though. Totally different. Also, cummins only makes engines, not trucks. Yamaha makes engines and sleds so basically in the end you have two competitors working together to make a sled which in my mind is an indication of two companies having trouble getting a grip on a portion of the market.

OMG....Are we still on this????

.....are you seriously discounting a company for using another companies compnents???

You guys just don't quit do you....lol

CIH uses engines from Cummins
Ford used engines from International to put in their trucks
JD used Cummins
Massey uses perkins
and so on and soon and so on.....thats just a few and thats just engines!

The list of companies using someone elses compnoents could go on forever!

Most of these companies get the part made for them to their specific specifications.

IE Yamaha is going to use a Cat chassis but they will design and tweak it to their specs....Its not a ProClimb with a a yamaha engine! It won't be just a blue ProClimb.

My guess is the engines or engine design that Cat goes with will NOT be the exact same engine used in a Yamaha....lets wait and see

Are you absolutely positive SKIDOO makes each and every component on their sleds??? I doubt it but who cares....the sleds are designed to BRP's specifications....

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

.....are you seriously discounting a company for using another companies compnents???

JD used Cummins
Massey uses perkins

Most of these companies get the part made for them to their specific specifications.

IE Yamaha is going to use a Cat chassis but they will design and tweak it to their specs....Its not a ProClimb with a a yamaha engine! It won't be just a blue ProClimb.

My guess is the engines or engine design that Cat goes with will NOT be the exact same engine used in a Yamaha....lets wait and see

Are you absolutely positive SKIDOO makes each and every component on their sleds??? I doubt it but who cares....the sleds are designed to BRP's specifications....

No Ski Doo sure does not manufacture every component on their sleds.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JD used Cummins
Massey uses perkins

Seriously? Are you special in the head? Do you not see the connection between all those companies you listed? Not one of them are competing in the same market. Those are ALL equipment manufacturers using someone else's components who do not have any equipment themselves. EVERY manufacturer does this. You do not see GM buying a transmission from Ford, you don't see JD using Case's combine chassis, because they are competitors in the same industry fighting for the same customer base. It wouldn't make sense if they did unless both were hurting and each had something the other needed. Which is what yama/cat are doing.
F-me if you can't see how this is different there is no helping you understand it.
Yes, Doo uses parts made by other companies. Do they buy them from Cat, Poo or Yammy? Not FN Likely!

Little

Reaction score
Seriously? Are you special in the head? Do you not see the connection between all those companies you listed? Not one of them are competing in the same market. Those are ALL equipment manufacturers using someone else's components who do not have any equipment themselves. EVERY manufacturer does this. You do not see GM buying a transmission from Ford, you don't see JD using Case's combine chassis, because they are competitors in the same industry fighting for the same customer base. It wouldn't make sense if they did unless both were hurting and each had something the other needed. Which is what yama/cat are doing.
F-me if you can't see how this is different there is no helping you understand it.
Yes, Doo uses parts made by other companies. Do they buy them from Cat, Poo or Yammy? Not FN Likely!

14 pages and someone fially get's it right.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And Ford's 6.7 SCORPION DSL is not a intersmashable engine.

Cat 401. Ur about as good a Shitty kitty.

from my HTC

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your delusional!

There are hundreds of examples of where a company uses components from a direct competitor.........

You ever heard of FUNK transmission?
CaseIH used it inthere tractors for years....guess who owns Funk??.....John Deere

Deere went from using the Funktransmission in some of their tractors, then designed their own ....but kept selling units to Case. Was it the same tranny's? No. Each manufacturer had their own specs

another one?
Deere sells engines that go in competitors sprayers and Deere is also in the sprayer business......

another one?
Deere buys a baler from Kuhn who is also in the hay business....

So if Yamaha sees a benefit to using a ProClimb chassis in some of their sleds....all the power and success to them!

Take off your doogles, put down the doo-laide and look at it from the business side....its a win win for Yamaha & Cat & the customer base that they are able to expand into. If it does not work for you....then don't fawken buy it!

Top Bottom