2014 m8 153 broken jack shaft.

JFisher_73

Reaction score
Broke my jack shaft today.. snapped right behind the bearing on the clutch side. bearing is still good so it didn't seize and cause the problem but was wondering if it's a common problem on the 14's and if their is any better options besides a new one from Cat. TIA.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broke my jack shaft today.. snapped right behind the bearing on the clutch side. bearing is still good so it didn't seize and cause the problem but was wondering if it's a common problem on the 14's and if their is any better options besides a new one from Cat. TIA.

First I've ever heard of a jack shaft failure on a Proclimb, do you have any pics? Clean break? Possible manufacturing defect, and cracked then failure? I'd be sending it into Cat to see if they will cover it.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a few reported since 2012 - enough that Cat beefed up the shaft for 2015. Buy a replacement 2015 shaft and top gear (they are different), you'll be good to go. Another alternative is Scott Taylor's, OSP, or Belanger Racing. These shafts are considerably heavier yet, you'd be hard pressed to break one.

JFisher_73

Reaction score
There has been a few reported since 2012 - enough that Cat beefed up the shaft for 2015. Buy a replacement 2015 shaft and top gear (they are different), you'll be good to go. Another alternative is Scott Taylor's, OSP, or Belanger Racing. These shafts are considerably heavier yet, you'd be hard pressed to break one.

Have you put a 15 jack shaft in a 14? I looked at the part diagrams for the two and they have a few different pieces
First pic is a 14 image.jpg second is the 15. image.jpg

JFisher_73

Reaction score
First I've ever heard of a jack shaft failure on a Proclimb, do you have any pics? Clean break? Possible manufacturing defect, and cracked then failure? I'd be sending it into Cat to see if they will cover it.

ill get some pictures probably tonight when I take it apart. And I'll see if they'll warranty anything. just came off the extended warranty so doubtful Cat will cover anything. sled has around 1300 miles.

Top Bottom