2014 gmc 1500

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK...so here's an easy one: what 1/2 ton pickup out there currently has the best mileage? (I am not being facetious, I really want to know) I use my truck as a car 95% of the time. It tows a very light sled trailer a few times a year and gets used to haul crap to the dump a couple of times a year. I think that I probably fit the profile of a large percentage of pick-up owners. A small 30mpg diesel would be the ultimate for us.

Currently its the ford with the ecoboost. Dodge is putting a 8 speed in their trucks now, and are claiming that they will get better mileage.

van isle

Reaction score
OK...so here's an easy one: what 1/2 ton pickup out there currently has the best mileage? (I am not being facetious, I really want to know) I use my truck as a car 95% of the time. It tows a very light sled trailer a few times a year and gets used to haul crap to the dump a couple of times a year. I think that I probably fit the profile of a large percentage of pick-up owners. A small 30mpg diesel would be the ultimate for us.

Here is a complete run down of the 2012 1/2 ton trucks.
Gas Mileage of 2012 Standard Pickup Trucks
This is for all 2013 vehicles
2013 Best and Worst MPG Trucks, Vans and SUVs

I do believe that Nissian will be the first to come out with a Diesel 1/2 ton as the same diesel that are working on with Cummins will no doubt end up in their cargo vans. Nissan Commercial Vehicles: Utility & Cargo Vans, Pickup Trucks, Fleet Vehicles

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah but therein lies the problem.... the fuel economy. With all the Tier 4 emissions trash stuffed onto a small diesel it will more than likely get low 20's or high teens....... and still be slow as molasses in January. Pass.

Why I say this is on the one forum I am on a guy took a lowered regular cab short bed 2wd 2003 or 2004 Chev and put in a mildly modded 3.9 Cummins with an NV 4500 5 speed. Not any technological marvel but he did a really clean swap on it. Clean enough I think it was in Diesel Power or some other rag like that. Mileage when said and done around the 65 mph speed limit was just over 30 mpg US....... And this was in a lowered, light 2wd regular cab.

Good luck getting a crew cab 4X4 with a V6 or V8 diesel to get that and pass the afforementioned emission requirements.

And never ever believe the EPA crap for fuel economy. I know some of you guys don't but it's not real world and a good majority of the time you will never meet it. Fiat will plaster how wonderful the fuel economy of the new Ram is...... but the test mule was a V6 regular cab long box in a laboratory somewhere. Which in turn is good enough to plaster all over their ads..... when they picture a Hemi powered pig that gets mid teens.....

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the mid teens but ya the advertising is crap thats for sure. My new hemi and my 11 hemi I had gets about 11.1l/100km while on the highway, which is about 25 mpg, they said Ill get down as low as 10.6l/100km but im yet to see it break the 11 mark, but setting the cruise at 115km/h on a calm day I can regularaly get down into the low 11's/100km

Ah but therein lies the problem.... the fuel economy. With all the Tier 4 emissions trash stuffed onto a small diesel it will more than likely get low 20's or high teens....... and still be slow as molasses in January. Pass.

Why I say this is on the one forum I am on a guy took a lowered regular cab short bed 2wd 2003 or 2004 Chev and put in a mildly modded 3.9 Cummins with an NV 4500 5 speed. Not any technological marvel but he did a really clean swap on it. Clean enough I think it was in Diesel Power or some other rag like that. Mileage when said and done around the 65 mph speed limit was just over 30 mpg US....... And this was in a lowered, light 2wd regular cab.

Good luck getting a crew cab 4X4 with a V6 or V8 diesel to get that and pass the afforementioned emission requirements.

And never ever believe the EPA crap for fuel economy. I know some of you guys don't but it's not real world and a good majority of the time you will never meet it. Fiat will plaster how wonderful the fuel economy of the new Ram is...... but the test mule was a V6 regular cab long box in a laboratory somewhere. Which in turn is good enough to plaster all over their ads..... when they picture a Hemi powered pig that gets mid teens.....

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real world? Or just on the DIC..... My 09 Ram got maybe 17 to 18 on a good day of straight highway. The 06 my mother has is about the same ballpark..... but the DIC always reads much better than that, lol.... like 11-12 L/100Km. Figure it out by hand and low and behold. I really doubt 25 mpg out a 4X4 crew/quad cab. Well I guess you are also using Imperial Gallons which I don't either. US you are getting maybe 21.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im using the imperial gallon as I am not an American so I use our units of measurement. And I do my own calculation every time I fill up while driving on the highway and then compare it what the onboard computer is saying. Its a very simple calculation and I do it in my head quick right after I fill up. Usually Im in the 11.1-11.3L/100km which isn't to bad for a 395hp v8 in a crew cab 4x4 chassis

Real world? Or just on the DIC..... My 09 Ram got maybe 17 to 18 on a good day of straight highway. The 06 my mother has is about the same ballpark..... but the DIC always reads much better than that, lol.... like 11-12 L/100Km. Figure it out by hand and low and behold. I really doubt 25 mpg out a 4X4 crew/quad cab. Well I guess you are also using Imperial Gallons which I don't either. US you are getting maybe 21.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol...... Our units of measurement are metric...... The imperial gallon is pretty much a completely useless now, but I can dig it. Simple calculation is correct, but I find few people can still do it right and like to round numbers off. Well you must have a 1 of 1 Hemi Ram built so enjoy!

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im using the imperial gallon as I am not an American so I use our units of measurement. And I do my own calculation every time I fill up while driving on the highway and then compare it what the onboard computer is saying. Its a very simple calculation and I do it in my head quick right after I fill up. Usually Im in the 11.1-11.3L/100km which isn't to bad for a 395hp v8 in a crew cab 4x4 chassis

I get close to the same mileage with my 2010 ram hemi quad cab 4x4 with 3.92 rear end. People always think the hemi's have bad mileage, they have gotten significantly better over the years...

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand that we use metric but in Canada when you go to school they teach a gallon as 4.546 L not 3.785 L so its only natural to use what ur taught not what some hillbilly Americans made up to be completely separate from the monarchy back in the late 1700's

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand that we use metric but in Canada when you go to school they teach a gallon as 4.546 L not 3.785 L so its only natural to use what ur taught not what some hillbilly Americans made up to be completely separate from the monarchy back in the late 1700's

Yeah well when you deal with the "hillbilly" americans and custody transfer the Imperial gallon becomes pretty useless. Whatever floats your boat, or sinks it.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both trucks failed on the looks department. what ever happened to this concept??? This thing looks wicked mean. GMC_Sierra_All_Terrain_HD_Concept_truck_2011_img_01.jpg

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still say it could achieve or get close to 30mpg. I mean my 07.5 chev with a 6.0l and 4.10 gears averages 18-20mpg at 120. And. That's with the 4spd. So 3.73/3.55 gear, 6spd, and direct injection... Shouldn't be a issue. Don't think there would be much more for emission crap as the design is already superior to mine.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a 6L 4 speed getting 18-20? is that a 2wd reg cab with a tail wind? your not fooling anyone. the 5.3s with the 6 speed get that.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He would have to be, my dad has an *05 gmc 6.0L with a 4 speed,(*not 100% sure on the year) and it gets about 13-14 mpg all the time, unless it has a good tail wind then it can get 15-16 mpg

He's probably talking L/100km.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
EPA specs on all trucks and cars, with a couple of exceptions, are completely off from real-world performance numbers. The manufacturers are using a loophole with an outdated method of fuel economy calculation to put those numbers on the windshield. Some manufacturers are already getting investigated over that, and I expect more to come.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad chevy is leading the way..............................Not, lol

Top Bottom