Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon or??

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my wife's car (2012 Chev Equinox) is starting to do the nickel and dime dance and with her growing business and a growing family, we need to get her into something bigger and a bit newer. Currently I'm looking at 2014-2018 GMC Yukons and Ford Expeditions. From what I can see:

GMC Yukon:
Pros: -5.3 V8 is a pretty proven and straight forward engine
-Better looking IMO

Cons:
-Fuel economy is that of a V8
-I've heard horror stories of GM's fuel management systems failing and being costly to fix?

Ford Expedition:
Pros: -Seems to be a bit cheaper on the used market, compared to a similar Yukon
-3.5 Ecoboost has great power

Cons:- 3.5 ecoboost can have timing chain issues? That being said, everyone I know with a 3.5EB has had great reliability with them. I'd just hate to buy one and have it give me grief within a few months.

Is there major read flags with these two that I should look for or avoid all together?

With that said, I'm not really opposed to looking at other similar sized vehicles for her. As long as its fairly reliable and gets reasonable fuel economy I'll be happy.

Thoughts?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go a step smaller you could look at things like the Pilot, Telluride, Explorer, Atlas, CX-9... Is that too small?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my wife's car (2012 Chev Equinox) is starting to do the nickel and dime dance and with her growing business and a growing family, we need to get her into something bigger and a bit newer. Currently I'm looking at 2014-2018 GMC Yukons and Ford Expeditions. From what I can see:

GMC Yukon:
Pros: -5.3 V8 is a pretty proven and straight forward engine
-Better looking IMO

Cons:
-Fuel economy is that of a V8
-I've heard horror stories of GM's fuel management systems failing and being costly to fix?

Ford Expedition:
Pros: -Seems to be a bit cheaper on the used market, compared to a similar Yukon
-3.5 Ecoboost has great power

Cons:- 3.5 ecoboost can have timing chain issues? That being said, everyone I know with a 3.5EB has had great reliability with them. I'd just hate to buy one and have it give me grief within a few months.

Is there major read flags with these two that I should look for or avoid all together?

With that said, I'm not really opposed to looking at other similar sized vehicles for her. As long as its fairly reliable and gets reasonable fuel economy I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
My wife’s GMC was a 2015 and the 5.3 motor blew at one 115 000 km.
We traded it in broken bought a 2021 Gmc and that motor blew at 11,000 km.
The other thing is the GM Full-size SUV has a tiny interior by comparison to the expedition.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you currently drive a chev product so your used to getting nickel and dimed LOL! I sold a 2020 gmc 3500 duramax cause I was sick of all the little warranty issues. I’m back in a ford so the expedition would be my choice. There are alot of die hard gm guys out there that would buy a Yukon but I have had to many poorly built gm vehicles to give them anymore of my hard earned money. On plus side the Yukons ride and handling is very good. Had a buddy just dump a Yukon and another a 2 year old Escalade because of all the electrical problems. At the end of the day it’s your money and your decision so buy what you like and Hole you get a good one. There is lemons is every brand. Check the car fax and see what the warranty history looks like and you might see some vehicles to steer clear of.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife’s GMC was a 2015 and the 5.3 motor blew at one 115 000 km.
We traded it in broken bought a 2021 Gmc and that motor blew at 11,000 km.
The other thing is the GM Full-size SUV has a tiny interior by comparison to the expedition.

Ouch, that sucks man. I'd def hate gm after that too

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch, that sucks man. I'd def hate gm after that too
Sucks for sure. Her 2015 was warranty to 160 and payed for. I talked her into a new one cause the motor was 3 months out on warranty so a trade in made sense. Gave us crazy money for it. Then her new one blew up the valve train also but at only 12,000km. She was so upset. :).
Her 2021 is good now. 35,000 and going strong lol

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last three vehicles my wife has had are Yukon Denali’s with the 6.2L. We have not had issues with any of them, but we didn’t keep them beyond 50000km. As mentioned above the Yukon’s interior isn‘t as roomy as the Fords. The biggest advantage we feel the GM has over the Ford is how it handles the wind. Most of her driving is Hwy in southern Alberta so it plays a significant role for her. If wind wasn’t an issue it would come down to price and whichever dealership you are more comfortable working with. We deal through Davis GM in Lethbridge and have had great luck.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sucks for sure. Her 2015 was warranty to 160 and payed for. I talked her into a new one cause the motor was 3 months out on warranty so a trade in made sense. Gave us crazy money for it. Then her new one blew up the valve train also but at only 12,000km. She was so upset. :).
Her 2021 is good now. 35,000 and going strong lol

rofl, sorry to laugh but the "talked her into" I can only imagine how that conversation went hahaha jk.
Hope alls good now in the house haha ! Sadly you were doomed no which she choose. Good it's her choice, bad you're still a dick lolol jk.
Any thought on a 6.2 next time ? "Honey you never had a 6.2 yet...." haha jk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rofl, sorry to laugh but the "talked her into" I can only imagine how that conversation went hahaha jk.
Hope alls good now in the house haha ! Sadly you were doomed no which she choose. Good it's her choice, bad you're still a dick lolol jk.
Any thought on a 6.2 next time ? "Honey you never had a 6.2 yet...." haha jk
That’s hilarious. Ive thought of that too ! My track record I’m gonna keep quiet for now

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2013 escalade with the 6.2 its a great engine tons of power decent mileage at 15L/100km in winter very reliable. The rest of it is squeaks and rattles like a gm...

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following. We are looking at the exact same vehicles. Used prices are nuts right now. If a guy did go new, we are thinking about the 3.0 diesel in the yukon. Does anyone have any experience with this?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following. We are looking at the exact same vehicles. Used prices are nuts right now. If a guy did go new, we are thinking about the 3.0 diesel in the yukon. Does anyone have any experience with this?
We have the 3.0 diesel in 1/2 ton and love it I wouldn't hesitate on buying one.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go a step smaller you could look at things like the Pilot, Telluride, Explorer, Atlas, CX-9... Is that too small?
I may consider that size, I'd just like to have the extra room for trips to the lake, etc. Seems more often than not, she needs all the room she can get between our little guy, her work and our dogs. I'd love to pick up a 3.0 duramax yukon but its just not in our budget at the moment. Seems to be a few yukons and expeditions the used lots at various dealers, I just cringe at the thought of having to deal with greasy salesmen...

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have an expedition max, but a higher mileage ecoboost makes me nervous. How many km you think they're good for?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have an expedition max, but a higher mileage ecoboost makes me nervous. How many km you think they're good for?
For reference my dad's 2014 F150 ecoboost has 220k on it, all he's done is basic maintenance and I believe a rear main seal that was done under warranty. Its still running strong with no signs of giving up. I put in a set of NGK ruthenium plugs and that made a noticeable improvement in power and fuel economy he says. On the flip side I've heard that they suffer from the dreaded cam phaser issue but given that there seems to be a zillion of them on the road, they don't have the reputation of a 6.0 powerstroke. Some guys love them, some hate them. I like the super flat torque curve they have. Makes towing most trailers a lot nicer IMO but with that said, an expedition isn't my first choice for a tow vehicle lol. I'm getting a new work truck in the next month or so and I'm likely to end up with a F150 ecoboost but the bossman said to test drive them all and see what I like so I plan on doing just that.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 3.5L ecoboost and it was great for me (cracked one manifold $1800) lots of power and pulled the sled trailer great, that said 3 of my good buddies also have ecoboosts and all are having issues, cracked manifolds, leaking turbos, mileage ranging from 125000-190000kms. Good motors but lots of issues as the kms add up, I would still go for the expedition if it was me. Buying an explorer for the wife here in a couple weeks as we don't need anything bigger.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting to be a lot of high mileage ecoboosts out there. I think it’s all in how they are treated. I let mine warm up like a diesel and let it cool down after a long drive or working hard like any turbo treat it properly and it will be good for 3-400k. Know of a couple with 400k. My 2012 had 200k and less issues in 8 years than a 2020 duramax in 1 year. I’m driving a 21 power boost now which has been solid so far. Don’t think the hybrid is available in the expedition yet. If you can get the second gen eco boost with port injection. Changed in 2017 on the f150 not sure in the expedition but the 10 speed will have the port injection. They all need spark plugs by 150k or less start to miss under boost but that’s cheap fix.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbour is selling his 1 owner 1997 4 door yukon with the 5.7 only 240,000 kms if youre interested. Dark green though

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what pricing was like but I saw a new Escalade diesel for the bargain basement price of $169500 at Don Wheaton the other day. I about puked in my mouth..
Non escalade I've seen them around 90 but they cannot get them.

Top Bottom