2014 6.7 cummins 3500

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new to the diesel world and looking for honest reviews for the 2014/15 cummins 1 tons

I've fell in love with this truck and about to purchase but I'm constantly harassed by the guys at work insisting it will have front end issues and i will end up getting rid of the truck out of frustration.

vehicle i'm looking at is the '14 blackout edition and will be installing a 6'' BDS lift with 35's or 37's.. low mileage use, mostly hauling sleds to the mountains

thanks fellas:cool::beer:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new to the diesel world and looking for honest reviews for the 2014/15 cummins 1 tons

I've fell in love with this truck and about to purchase but I'm constantly harassed by the guys at work insisting it will have front end issues and i will end up getting rid of the truck out of frustration.

vehicle i'm looking at is the '14 blackout edition and will be installing a 6'' BDS lift with 35's or 37's.. low mileage use, mostly hauling sleds to the mountains

thanks fellas:cool::beer:

The reason they say "front end issues" is because thats the only thing they can heckle you for. It is my understanding its all been changed in 14, for front end. Ps, who the hell cares about some ball joints? Even if you bought an older style... you put a fix it kit in for 1000$ I've had rams for the last 5 years, and i've never had one front end issue. From stock to lifted 7" with 37's no problem. Go with the long arm if you're going with BDS. Pure performance makes some nice stuff, and so does Carli. I just ordered myself a Carli.

Good luck.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason they say "front end issues" is because thats the only thing they can heckle you for. It is my understanding its all been changed in 14, for front end. Ps, who the hell cares about some ball joints? Even if you bought an older style... you put a fix it kit in for 1000$ I've had rams for the last 5 years, and i've never had one front end issue. From stock to lifted 7" with 37's no problem. Go with the long arm if you're going with BDS. Pure performance makes some nice stuff, and so does Carli. I just ordered myself a Carli.

Good luck.

Thanks DC, my thoughts exactly.. all the other guys at work are about to chip their fords & chevs..
I'm okay if with some front end problems but im not okay with engine or turbo problems

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
55000 km on mine since the 104km I bought it with in March still chuggin. I do have air bags so it rides right now. I did hear that some programmers were messing up the trannys pretty bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0986 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0986 (1024x768).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for it! Front end problems, lousy braking and short pad life, lousy ride and handling, poor build quality, and after a few years, the electrical gremlins start popping up, switches, window and power seat motors, and the list goes on. Yup, dodge is the best!!! Look around. Ever wonder why industry doesn't buy dodge trucks? Maybe the favorite of young rig workers etc but people who rely on a truck to keep their business rolling DONT buy dodge. They can't afford to.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go for it! Front end problems, lousy braking and short pad life, lousy ride and handling, poor build quality, and after a few years, the electrical gremlins start popping up, switches, window and power seat motors, and the list goes on. Yup, dodge is the best!!! Look around. Ever wonder why industry doesn't buy dodge trucks? Maybe the favorite of young rig workers etc but people who rely on a truck to keep their business rolling DONT buy dodge. They can't afford to.

I don't know about that. My 2nd gen has over 500,000 no serious problems and it gets abused pretty bad, my uncles 3rd gen has close to 500,000 kms most of which were towing a heavy trailer, and now he bought a 4th gen also a work truck that spends most of its time towing and has had zero issues. Almost every rancher in my area drives a dodge. I don't think he has to be to worried, if ranchers don't wreck 'em nobody will

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm......Talisman runs Dodges as do many other companies in the patch. I do believe they're a fairly large company. I'm on my fourth Ram diesel ('99, '03, '07, '11) with no major issues. They've all been great trucks and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My '07 was used for work in the bush for close to 200,000 km and had no major issues. A few tie rods and one set of ball joints as well as rear brake pads. My '11 has 95,000 km and the only issue so far is a front crank seal leak, which was covered on warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow, really? Its weird that the small company i work for (Shell Upsteam) has quite a few Cummins on site and the engines outlive anything around.

Anyways carbon, i'll give you no bull**** when it comes to these trucks, i know them all pretty well. if you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know.. Hands down tho, the Rams have the nicest interior by far. I have the limited edition and the interior is absolutely awesome. The duramax is a great truck too, personally i'd take the ram again and again. Engine/interior quality. The rest is just nuts and bolts.

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, really? Its weird that the small company i work for (Shell Upsteam) has quite a few Cummins on site and the engines outlive anything around.

Anyways carbon, i'll give you no bull**** when it comes to these trucks, i know them all pretty well. if you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know.. Hands down tho, the Rams have the nicest interior by far. I have the limited edition and the interior is absolutely awesome. The duramax is a great truck too, personally i'd take the ram again and again. Engine/interior quality. The rest is just nuts and bolts.

Heh yea being able to use the Chrysler advantage number when buying a new truck is nice:D

Also I love the interiors of these trucks, coming out of a Laramie longhorn.. Absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heh yea being able to use the Chrysler advantage number when buying a new truck is nice:D

Also I love the interiors of these trucks, coming out of a Laramie longhorn.. Absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

Yeah! The Ram Brand is now owned by Fiat actually! Hence why they're not under the "dodge category" anymore. Also, why the interiors went under such revision.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah! The Ram Brand is now owned by Fiat actually! Hence why they're not under the "dodge category" anymore. Also, why the interiors went under such revision.

As I understand it the whole Chrysler brand is owned by Fiat, nothing special about Ram in that sense.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Encana have did a cost audit on there trucks over the last 3 years I believe and Dodge didn't cut it.
Ford was the cheapest to run then Gmc / Chev and Toyota last .
They are switching to all ford I believe .
Will try and find the post.
Again not Diesel just FYI

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found it.

We just finished a pretty good look back at our fleet. About 1200 trucks (50/50 half ton to 3/4 ton) and north of 20,000,000km/yr. The best overall trucks (operating cost and reliability) were the F150 (5.0l and Ecoboost - same operating cost and reliability) and the GMC/Chev 1500 with 5.3. The worst were the Toyota Tundra (good reliability but brutal fuel economy) and the Ram 1500 5.7 (poor reliability and economy). The GMC/Chev 2500 was the best overall 3/4 ton. Going forward we order GMC 2500 3/4 and Ford F150 Ecoboost F150's.

This is simply a cost/benefit use of our vehicles? We drive the vehicles to 160,000kms with a max 5yrs. Seems to be the best mileage and age for value. No more diesels, as you don't recover the extra cost.

I wouldn't have any problem with either the Ford or Chev half ton with either the 5.0l, Ecoboost, 5.3 or 6.0l. We have put millions of oilfield miles on them all.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the dodge, it's the best bank for the buck, ford and chev are priced too high, ford especially. Love my 12 3500. The 14/15 look sweet!

Heavy truck industry quit using v-8 diesels decades ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dodge is the Polaris of trucks. Sells good but its a crap truck compared to the others. I have a new ram with electrical problems. 27000 km and its been at the dealer for weeks at a time. I bought it cause it was cheaper than gmc or ford. Also had a 2008. 3500. Front end. Head gasket. Electrical problems. Tranny. I won't buy another.

Top Bottom