2012 etec break in

getnutz

Reaction score
So exactly how long. Mine has 120 k, rode another etc with 620 k on it and no difference. Are both machines no broke in yet, or no break in period?:realmad:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Page 73 of your Operators Guide.

and no, at 120kms there is no way you are through break in.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So exactly how long. Mine has 120 k, rode another etc with 620 k on it and no difference. Are both machines no broke in yet, or no break in period?:realmad:

break in time is a predetermined amount of fuel has to pass thru the injectors (ie: 120 litres) then the fuel and oil mapping change.........
ride her like normal......

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
470 k on mine 33% remaining on break in mode. I am told only thing you will notice is change in oil consumption

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is interesting that BRP says, "10 hours or 500km whichever comes first" with no relation to speed, rpms, etc. There can be quite a difference from a mountain rider to a trail rider. My motor can run for 6 hours and I can do 50 kms in the trees and powder whereas a trail rider riding for 6 hours at 70 km/hour can get in the range of 420 kms. So the 10 hours doesn't really mean much in my eyes as far as possible problems or adjustments.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that BRP says, "10 hours or 500km whichever comes first" with no relation to speed, rpms, etc. There can be quite a difference from a mountain rider to a trail rider. My motor can run for 6 hours and I can do 50 kms in the trees and powder whereas a trail rider riding for 6 hours at 70 km/hour can get in the range of 420 kms. So the 10 hours doesn't really mean much in my eyes as far as possible problems or adjustments.

No...

You have to read it more carefully. Under the Etec section. The 10 hours or 500kms is for the break in inspection, nothing to do with motor break in period.

I don't have it in front of me, but it says approx two tanks of fuel. Its actually a little more than two full tanks. 100 litres. So saying approx two tanks is correct.

Since break in mine actually has more of the 2011 low elevation issues than it did when it was new. Just minor hesitation when off/on the throttle on the way up the hill. Once above 4500' or so feet is goes away. Hold the throttle open and no issues. Since there is no MAF sensor and only running on a map this is going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MAF sensor on future generations of Etec's.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No...

You have to read it more carefully. Under the Etec section. The 10 hours or 500kms is for the break in inspection, nothing to do with motor break in period.

I don't have it in front of me, but it says approx two tanks of fuel. Its actually a little more than two full tanks. 100 litres. So saying approx two tanks is correct.

Since break in mine actually has more of the 2011 low elevation issues than it did when it was new. Just minor hesitation when off/on the throttle on the way up the hill. Once above 4500' or so feet is goes away. Hold the throttle open and no issues. Since there is no MAF sensor and only running on a map this is going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MAF sensor on future generations of Etec's.

You are correct again, sort of....

On page 73 in the manual under Break in Period/operation during break-in:
"a break-in period of 10 operating hours or 500 km (300miles) is required for the vehicle."

The manual goes on to say:
E-Tec Models....During a predetermined period, the engine management system controls some engine parameters. The duration is based on fuel volume. It will
take approximately two fuel tanks to complete the break-in.

The only difference i noticed was oil/fuel consumption being higher. Didn't really notice a big performance difference. The only performance difference I have noticed is the rev limiter. I am running on clicker 2 now and am right on the 7900 rpm mark.

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
i took my new x to valemount and rode clemina and chappel. the first ride i couldnt get it to rev any more then 7200 until i put it on clicker 6. will it rev higher on a lower clicker after break in or will it stay this way after break in.
i found it strange i had to go all the way to clicker 6

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i took my new x to valemount and rode clemina and chappel. the first ride i couldnt get it to rev any more then 7200 until i put it on clicker 6. will it rev higher on a lower clicker after break in or will it stay this way after break in. i found it strange i had to go all the way to clicker 6
That seems odd for clicker 6. You should be right up there at 7900-8000. Your revving low might have an issue

Stantheman

Reaction score
i took my new x to valemount and rode clemina and chappel. the first ride i couldnt get it to rev any more then 7200 until i put it on clicker 6. will it rev higher on a lower clicker after break in or will it stay this way after break in.
i found it strange i had to go all the way to clicker 6

Ya that does seem odd. I run mine on 2 or 3 clicker depending on snow and its right around 7800-7900. I have a little over 400km on my etec now and I hope its past break in period cause if the oil consumption goes any lower its gonna get scary. Coming off a cat im used to dumping in gobs of oil.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only thing you will notice after breakin is complete is that it uses 20$ less fuel per ride than your buddies and 20$ less oil and you are still kicking everyones butt. for me thats a savings of 1300$ a year and a priceless smile.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only thing you will notice after breakin is complete is that it uses 20$ less fuel per ride than your buddies and 20$ less oil and you are still kicking everyones butt. for me thats a savings of 1300$ a year and a priceless smile.

Ran out of gas Saturday with 102km on the trip meter. But pretty much all of that was wide open. Rode 98km on Sunday and still have over half a tank. It's all in how you ride it.

I was at 0% on break in after ~500km when I took it in to get because of engine codes. There's an update that corrects erroneous over voltage codes that I was throwing.

Last edited:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 5% at 496km and now have 800 and still burps and spatters below4500 ish ft and then goes away, but doesnt seem to do as much coming back down. Love the sled, just need a couple more mods after warannty. LOL

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 5% at 496km and now have 800 and still burps and spatters below4500 ish ft and then goes away, but doesnt seem to do as much coming back down. Love the sled, just need a couple more mods after warannty. LOL

The low elevation burpin and fartin is just how they protect the sled down low. If you aren't off on and on the throttle and hold a consistant rpm the sled doesn't try and limit itself but likely won't pull full rpm. That won't go away as thats how it is mapped.

Top Bottom