2010 summit engine DONE

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: well sled has 2500 miles and already crank problems. Can't figure out why BRP keeps making these things. Well i guees thats why they still make them good for the parts business. :rolleyes:

anyways pulled this thing apart to make sure all was good as i was going to repack the crank bearings. once it was apart it was obvious to see the problem. The o so famous grease was baked out of the pto side bearings and the inner bearing that rides up against the labrinyth seal is f*%Ked. crank costs 2200.00:rant:

be careful with this engine guys i talked to the makers of isoflex and a teck guy for 45 min and explained the grease problem. he said that what is happening is the grease has gone past it's max temp. as a result the oil that is in the grease evaporates and all you are left with is the thickening agent. and this don't lube sh*T:realmad:

The problem is BRP is passing the buck on us customers. these new XP chassis sleds have no clutch/ alignment adjustments. mine is out by 2 mm:realmad: ( I will be slopping out the motor mounts to fix this.) Take this and then add very little air flow because the engines are so enclosed and the slower speeds of mountian riding and constant upshift/backshift and you end up with HUGE HEAT PROBLEMS:realmad:

as a result is is pretty easy to see how the grease can exceed it's max temp of 120Celcius.

This WAS my first try at a BRP product and all i can say is this is BULL S#!t.

I'm glad i still have my 08 M8 as it has never given me a problem. not sure i will be keeping this BRP thing as I want to have a sled that i can build confidence in and not have to worry about crank problems or if it is going to get me home.

Thanks BRP for reasuring me that your product is crap .:nono:

Sorry Arctic cat i made a mistake please forgive me :eek:

finndoo

Reaction score
You are from Regina and you have 2500 miles on your mountain sled. I am jealous! I here ya about the excessive heat under the hood on these sleds. Mine has venting, shimmed secondary, tower brace, and a DJ clutch kit. All of these things will finally allow the belts to last for 800-900 miles no problem, but the clutches are always hotter then a fresh Timmies coffee that just spilled in my lap. Are you thinking that the super heat is being transferred from the clutch to the bearings by way of the crank? Also would not a liquid cooled case give a more stable temperature than the old sleds without liquid cooled cases?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it has 2500 it was a rental. but still 2500is a joke for a sled that costs 12-15000 with this engine. Yes the liquid cooling does help but the heat is transfered to the crank and the only way it can disipate is thru the bearings to the case.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it has 2500 it was a rental. but still 2500is a joke for a sled that costs 12-15000 with this engine. Yes the liquid cooling does help but the heat is transfered to the crank and the only way it can disipate is thru the bearings to the case.

no warrenty

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought sled in usa, no warranty in canada. may not get warranty anyway as he tore motor apart on his own. :nono:for warranty.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, i see all these problems with Doo, but i see next to nothing for polaris. kinda to bad cuz i like the summits, but if this is the kinda stuff they make i might be gettin a polaris :(

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lol, i see all these problems with Doo, but i see next to nothing for polaris. kinda to bad cuz i like the summits, but if this is the kinda stuff they make i might be gettin a polaris :(

where have you been since 2000? polaris has always had crank problems too, and no the have other problems, ive seen more poos pulled off the hill then cats, each sled has its flaws, and they always will, there is no way you will have the perfect machine

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

don't want to burst your bubble check a few polaris sites, no maufacture is immune. may not be that many polaris sold? heard they were going out of business.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

there is always a rebel in every crowd.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no known issues with the 2009,2010 800r. obviously it is just pure statistics that motors will fail. 2500 MILES those bearings should have been repacked long before that.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
there is no known issues with the 2009,2010 800r. obviously it is just pure statistics that motors will fail. 2500 MILES those bearings should have been repacked long before that.

If the bearings on a doo motor need to be (repacked long before) 2500 miles. Why in the he!! would you buy one.I know i wouldnt knowing that . :eek:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i shouldnt say long before. but at 4000+km those seals and isoflex should have been inspected or replaced at this time. remember we are talking MILES.

we buy them because we want to be the best. simple as that. LOL

and keep in mind this is just the end bearing no need to pull the motor apart.

but after 5000+ km on a bottom end i would be inspecting it thats forsure

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its funny how you DOO guys say that this is just a regular thing to do on a DOO and that they should have been done a long time ago. Are you for real think about it 2500miles 2 years of riding(normal person) Show me where in the BRP books that it tells you to inspect/ replace / regrease this engines crank bearings. I work with this stuff for a living yes there is normal things that should be done on 2stroke engines Example top end but crank bearings falling out at 2500 miles or less. thats bad.

I guess i have just had it to good with my 08m8 as it has 34-3500 miles on it and i am not worried about it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you do it for a living you should have poped off that outer bearing seal and had a peak as soon as you brought it home with higher miles like that.

im not going to show in the manual where it says you should do that. its just what i have done as preventative maintenance.

the bearings themselves should be fine for 5000 miles.

dont come on here looking for sympathy or a doo bashing fest. your not going to get it.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought sled in usa, no warranty in canada. may not get warranty anyway as he tore motor apart on his own. :nono:for warranty.

as far as warranty like i said before who really cares about it. The problem i have is if you are constantly having to inspect crank bearings every 2000-2500 miles and to do it right you have to pull the engine. I think this would get old real quick.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you have to pull the engine? pull the outer crank seal and inject some clean isoflex. end of story.

at 5000+ miles THEN inspect the inner crank bearings...

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam at 6000k.m on my 800 doo replace the piston at 5000k.m nothing wrong
with old piston motor clean running strong bought another 800 back country
I don't suspect any problems. My dad on the other hand bought brand new
f8 arctic cat 1 tank fuel of easy riding blew the motor ring let go .Bad mouthing SkiDoo really get me going. a motor a motor how you treat that machine is how its going to treat you.You ride hard you are going to pay.:realmad:

Top Bottom