2008 summit 800 154"

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into moutain riding and I am looking to purchase an 08 summit 800 154" from a friend. The sled is in good shape with 300 miles on it. It has a ported 2.5" track on it that was swapped when he bought it at the dealership. I have heard there were a few problems and recalls with this year, is this true? should I shy away from this as my first mountain sled? other than an S36 kit is there anything that should be added? thanks for your help!!

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were many updates for that sled. Do a search and should be easy to find them. 300 miles on an '08 doesn't seem right to me, but if it sat in the garage, maybe. It was the first year of the XP, had some growing pains for sure. Hard on belts jumping out at me now. Unless it's a smoking deal, i'd probably look at a '10. I'm riding an '09 and have it close to where I want it, but that's with an 860, 2.5 camo extreme,vent kits, air box mods, clutch kit, baker skid, S36 front end, BM fabricators running boards, nitrous, etc...

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an '08 XP and it has been a great sled for me. Yes they did have a few up dates and a couple fairly minor issues but if you get it for a decent price you will be happy with the sled. Just make sure it has the drive shaft update done and have the clutches aligned. Clutch alignment was the belt killer. Get that done and your good to go.

• Recommends
Reactions: win

Alwayswar

Reaction score
Best thing I ever did for my 08 is the rear suspension upgrade from xtreme air vents. It's pretty much a must have. It helps the sled lay over 10 times easier. Also, cutting the float plate out from under the A-arms (like the newer xp's), helps a lot. If it has a legit 300 miles on it, I'd buy it up, for the right price.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The price is 6000$. He bought brand new side pastic, brand new cover and a few other small parts this year but got a call that someone backed out on a '13 163" XM summit X so he went that route. It has legit 300 miles. Is the driveshaft update done at a dealer for free or since the warranty is done, its my dollar?

Alwayswar

Reaction score
I'd bet all the updates have been done. Call any dealer, and give em the vin #, and they'll tell ya if they've been done. No, you shouldn't have to pay anything, if they haven't.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 154 as well. Not a single issue. Had the drive shaft update done at the dealer back in 08. Never had any belt issues or anything else for that matter. 3000 km and counting... I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
driveshaft recall was free and mandatory, handlebar warmer recall, and a tail-light wire recall. Track is not the greatest if its ported but rideable....lol
Typical isoflex outer bearing issues but thats to be expected with a Doo 800......

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New to me 08 Rev XP Summit 154 - REV-XP / XM Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

copy that link, there is good info on recalls and other things to look for. Got 10000kms hard mt time on mine with very few problems. Just bought another 08 mint shape, has not even had a 10hour service yet only has 5 rides on it. A buddy of mine that never rode.
Toss a clutch kit in, re gear it, fix the rear suspension, toss a few air vents on the panels, extra air intakes in the rear air box, re jet and needle shims, and if you can change the track than these things work and than ride the snot out of it.

nielsy

Reaction score
and ziptie the wires in front of regulater and glue a puck on top of the rivet

bluelugnuts

Reaction score
I ride an '08 XP and it has been a great sled for me. Yes they did have a few up dates and a couple fairly minor issues but if you get it for a decent price you will be happy with the sled. Just make sure it has the drive shaft update done and have the clutches aligned. Clutch alignment was the belt killer. Get that done and your good to go.

I am looking at buying a local sled. It's an '08 xp with the 'x' package, it's got 3200km and the guy is asking $4200 for it. I am calling tomorrow to ask if he has done any of the updates. Is there anything I should be wary of here? He has added a bonz tunnel reinforcement, mbrp can, CAI, and aftermarket rear suspension bracket.

Top Bottom