2007 Outlander "Clunking" at Low Speed

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any Advice???
I have a CLUNKING sound when starting out at low speed (Slowly leaving the yard, not ripping up the grass). What would cause this....??

Thanks

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First test: quad on pavement, grab rear rack and shake machine side to side. Can you make the noise? If so, its the trailing arms loosening up. It happens.

Only does it while moving? Is it in the transmission (belt)? A burned flat spot in the belt will clunk, clunk, clunk at low speeds.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I had the same sound but only when I turned to the right at slow speed and on good traction. I thought it was the cv joint and hated the thought of changing it so I ignored the sound for about 500 miles and it just went away :d I'm sure it will come back to haunt me later :eek: but till then happy trailing. :beer: :beer:

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes...at very slow speed, and good traction.
The belt is Mint...just checked. Out on the trail doesn't seem to be as noticeable, but then again I usually get my revs up a bit before I get going...

If I am going to start checking things with the tools...it appears that I should be starting in the CVT?? OR......do I take advantage of the Can-Am Warranty and take it in???

:confused:

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly dirt in your clutch where the weights are? Could be throwing it a bit off balance causing it to "clunk"

outlanderjoe

Reaction score
How many kms on your 07, did u check your u-joints , u might need to replace them , I had one on the back shaft go.

gadeguy

Reaction score
hey guys..... i have a 2007 renegade 800. i also notice a slight clunk every once in a while when i start to move from an idle.... almost sounds like a loose u loint somewhere.... the quad only has 600 kms on it. not sure if i should worry about it or not.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a clunk in mine at low speed, ended up being the rubber mounts on the exhaust at the rear of the bike, the shake test worked best. One was missing, the other wore out. 3800 km's on my 650 Outlander.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the front u-joint on the rear shaft. U-joints aren't covered under warranty,classed as a wear item.I know from experience and very $$ to have the stealership change.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'll be able to report on this problem as soon as my quad is back from getting the "Clunking at low speed" problem fixed. I had to take it in to the stealership because of a bad crash, busted front diff housing so I asked them to investigate the weird clunking noise that I had at low speed and fix it while its there.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes....I will reply as well ... as soon as it comes home from the Warranty Clutch tune-up!!

Top Bottom