2007 800r with what looks like a detoed piston?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey would u guys this is deto to my piston????????? how the frigg does it happen with a knock sensor and only to one side?????? its the mag side..
when it happend it was a warm day not wide open .... i just can't grasp it...

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0008piston.jpg
    IMAG0008piston.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG0014piston.jpg
    IMAG0014piston.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0012piston.jpg
    IMAG0012piston.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 200

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plug was fine when it happened .... cardboard color... thats the thing.... when i got it home i took the borascope out and looked and it looked like the ring locating pin [ from the dents ] .... there is nothing in the head dome at all..... someone said something from the bottom end came up..... looks 100 % in the crank area and rods....

hpjunkie

Reaction score
Is all of your locating pin still there? With deto that sever, you can traditionally feel the 'shudder'. It will usually either loosen the applicable plug and/or crack the porceline. Alot of deto does occur in "mid-range", as the manufactures ignition curve usually has it's most advance in that area. If the other side looks fine, I'd focus on the deto'd cyl.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is all of your locating pin still there? With deto that sever, you can traditionally feel the 'shudder'. It will usually either loosen the applicable plug and/or crack the porceline. Alot of deto does occur in "mid-range", as the manufactures ignition curve usually has it's most advance in that area. If the other side looks fine, I'd focus on the deto'd cyl.

that is bearing damage not detonation. your missing one needle bearing on your crank.

yep both pins are still in the piston..... and the 07's don't have the lean issue like the older 800ho's...

i hope ur wrong.... ur saying the rod bearing for that cylinder????

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep both pins are still in the piston..... and the 07's don't have the lean issue like the older 800ho's...

The Xp's still have a lean issue in mid-range not as bad as the previous models but they are inherently lean in midrange thats why lots of guys put shims under the needle. I agree that it looks like crank bearing debris. How many km's on motor? I'd just look at thrown a short block in.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what shape was the wrist pin bearing in? looks like it lost a needle bearing..I had a cat do that once...looked identical. It sure doesn't look like detonation, looks like debris ingestion...start looking for where it came from and rectify that....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its got just shy of 1200 miles on a 08-09 warranty engine..... i put the mcb's in before i installed it into my 04 chassis...

nope all the piston bearings are there for both .... and both rods look even in play , color ect at the crank....

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when its just one bearing you wont see much on the crank, it will just blow up on you. Anytime you see that in an engine the crank has to be rebuilt, they almost always blow in the next 200 miles, on any brand.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its got just shy of 1200 miles on a 08-09 warranty engine..... i put the mcb's in before i installed it into my 04 chassis...

nope all the piston bearings are there for both .... and both rods look even in play , color ect at the crank....

when its just one bearing you wont see much on the crank, it will just blow up on you. Anytime you see that in an engine the crank has to be rebuilt, they almost always blow in the next 200 miles, on any brand.

i think iwould go with the blue on this one. tex. i do not know him from you however i do remember him calling a similiar situation befor eon here , last fall i think it was and everyone called him crazy, well he was right.
go with a short block imo.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
piston17.jpg SMASHED DEBRIS
This piston crown has been damaged because debris entered the combustion chamber and was crushed between the piston and the cylinder head. This engine had a corresponding damage pattern on the head's squish band. The common causes of this problem are broken needle bearings from the small or big end bearings of the connecting rod, broken ring ends, or a dislodged ring centering pin. When A problem like this occurs, its important to locate where the debris originated. Also the crankcases must be flushed out to remove any left over debris that could cause the same damage again. If the debris originated from the big end of the connecting rod, then the crankshaft should be replaced along with the main bearings and seals.

sledshedrevy

Reaction score
after driving it back out you have made it tougher to explain , but either the pipe mount inside the pipe half way in may have come forward or from below in the crank area .also the side thrust bearings on the big end can do this .this is debris , not detonation , but funny how even that banging never set a det code off .

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear ya. Well I will get it apart to see. Will post my findings and more pics.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont waste your money, buy a short block, definantly crank seal coming apart in the bottom end.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok found the problem .... mag side inner bearing.... seals good , rod bearings good and no deto.................. did i say no deto .....

al from the sled shed and 1 other guy hit the nail on the head.......

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
If you never had a updated Short Block installed yet, NOWs the time. The inner MAG beraing came apart and the cage went through the engine. Make sure you replace the head if there is the smallest nick in it or it is sure to detonate from the hot spot from the nick.

Top Bottom