2001 polaris ATV

Yukon Mike

Reaction score
Hello all, i have been struggling with my ATV 2001 Polaris Magnum 500 in over heating this summer, i have pretty much done every thing that i know of, it doesn't seem to be circulating the way it should be, i removed the Rad completely, cleaned it all out and flushed it all out, i removed the impeller from the pump, checked it and it all good, i changed the thermostat and also removed it totally to see , it seems that it may have a bad air lock, any suggestion would be great.

Thx,

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried to remove your side shrouds, to allow more air into the rad?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you suspect an air lock, jack up the front end a bit, remove the rad cap, and run it for 15-20 min giveing it a good burst of throttle every minute or two. If there's air in there it should burp out within about 20 min. You should observer your fan engauging and the coolant starting to circulate once you get to temperature.

A good coolant flush at least once a year seems to really help too.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you suspect an air lock, jack up the front end a bit, remove the rad cap, and run it for 15-20 min giveing it a good burst of throttle every minute or two. If there's air in there it should burp out within about 20 min. You should observer your fan engauging and the coolant starting to circulate once you get to temperature.

A good coolant flush at least once a year seems to really help too.

Just as he describes....and throw a new rad cap on it too. I was overheating pretty bad year before (2011) even plowing snow in -15, clean rad, fresh coolant, fan on a switch....still overheated, changed cap and this summer it only heated up bad once after a run down the road for 10km not cycling fan.

Top Bottom