2 guys missing in mcbride Lucile

Reaction score
So, aerocharger king..

You sad that you had fuel in your backpack? You mean gas in there?? That's an odd place to have gasoline..

This is an excellent lesson for me, and I just wing it in the backcountry.. I have a lousy RINO GPS and never track my ride.

I have followed creeks down and got lost at times.... and followed tracks of a riding partner down and sometimes wondered where we were, only to be 30 yards from the main trail..

Well I don't haul fuel in my bag. But when decided to pack up and move and start hiking the hill we had a 5l mnt addiction can that we put in the bag so we coulda start a fire and hopefully save enough to signal the chopper. We had sandwiches and a couple granola bars on us, the nice lady at the scarecrow BB packed us lunches for the day, and we also has 2 Gatorades each, chocolate bars and gummy worms which I had for breakfast Monday morning before the chopper found us. We also had tools, shovels, probs, beacons, basic first aid kit, phones, saws in the shovels, lighters, extra fuel, string, tie wire, so we were pretty set up, it would been to have one of them Tim foil blanket things to lay on and keep us dry, because the snow was turing to rain because of the fire cause us to get wet, My next investment will probably be a spot gps thing or the rhino and maybe some tampons i guess because it works good for dipping in gas and holding a solid flame for a while to get a fire gojng. It would be nice to have to have a chain saw but it's kinda unrealistic on a sled. A saw worked just fine but it worked just fine and all that work kept is moving and intern kept is warm.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I don't haul fuel in my bag. But when decided to pack up and move and start hiking the hill we had a 5l mnt addiction can that we put in the bag so we coulda start a fire and hopefully save enough to signal the chopper. We had sandwiches and a couple granola bars on us, the nice lady at the scarecrow BB packed us lunches for the day, and we also has 2 Gatorades each, chocolate bars and gummy worms which I had for breakfast Monday morning before the chopper found us. We also had tools, shovels, probs, beacons, basic first aid kit, phones, saws in the shovels, lighters, extra fuel, string, tie wire, so we were pretty set up, it would been to have one of them Tim foil blanket things to lay on and keep us dry, because the snow was turing to rain because of the fire cause us to get wet, My next investment will probably be a spot gps thing or the rhino and maybe some tampons i guess because it works good for dipping in gas and holding a solid flame for a while to get a fire gojng. It would be nice to have to have a chain saw but it's kinda unrealistic on a sled. A saw worked just fine but it worked just fine and all that work kept is moving and intern kept is warm.
glad u guys are ok. was an informative read for me

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would be easy for these guys to not post and try to move on from this situation. don't know if they realize how informative and helpful their words can be after this. glad they're ok and thanks for sharing your experience. i'm sure a lot of people will learn from this, especially concerning overnight survival and necessary gear. would be a good thread posted in the main forum.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with your remarks
would be easy for these guys to not post and try to move on from this situation. don't know if they realize how informative and helpful their words can be after this. glad they're ok and thanks for sharing your experience. i'm sure a lot of people will learn from this, especially concerning overnight survival and necessary gear. would be a good thread posted in the main forum.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

my suggestion would be to get a couple of the "Stihl" folding saws (in Spruce Grove Standard Rentals has them), they are much stronger than the shovel handle saw and are faster and less effort to cut with. Also Lori from Zacs Tracs recommends using "bimy bags" (https://snowsafety.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=1276) instead of the tin foil blankets, as the tin foil blankets with the friction they get exposed to in our bags will "laminate" together, then when you go to open them up to use them, they don't open& spread.

Here is a list of recommended gear by the Zacs Crew:

Thank you both for sharing your experience it is a true eye opener and is obviously making some people think about what they do or do not carry on them!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the information. There are a lot of people out there who are ill prepared for the challenges of mountain riding. It is all fine and dandy until chit happens, then it is interesting.

Glad this has a good ending.....:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my suggestion would be to get a couple of the "Stihl" folding saws (in Spruce Grove Standard Rentals has them), they are much stronger than the shovel handle saw and are faster and less effort to cut with. Also Lori from Zacs Tracs recommends using "bimy bags" (https://snowsafety.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=1276) instead of the tin foil blankets, as the tin foil blankets with the friction they get exposed to in our bags will "laminate" together, then when you go to open them up to use them, they don't open& spread.

Here is a list of recommended gear by the Zacs Crew:

Thank you both for sharing your experience it is a true eye opener and is obviously making some people think about what they do or do not carry on them!

Alpine Country rentals in valemount stocks those saws. UNREAL.

and i agree, this post is very informative. we can all make a thread about the 900 items we should have in our bags but when it comes right down to it you need to know what the guys who have done this wish they had.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details.
My wife picked up a small bivy bag and a really big bivy bag for me for xmas at Campers Village in Calgary. She knows to avoid MEC. I keep one in my backpack and the other in the tunnel bag.
Foil blankets don't last very long in my backpack, even inside a ziplock.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great news that you guys made it out, a big thanks to all that helped in the search and rescue....be thankful the weather was what it was.....

I carry both a biminy bag and a foil backed blanket, the foil backed blanet rolls up to appox 2 1/2in dia and 6" long...have had it for 20 years....it makes a great ground sheet, my son carries one as well so if they're are two, one can be hung in the trees and used as a heat defector, line a spruce bow wind blind, or have even stuffed it on the wall and ceiling of a quincy/snow cave when using a candle for heat.....

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Grab a pocket chainsaw. Fits in a small tin (smaller than a tuna can) and works great for any size tree and they're cheap!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pop a rivet on a chain saw chain, run a piece of rope or wire through rivet hole attach rope to wire, cheaper than the pocket chainsaw and u can sharpen it

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome Aerocharger King
Good to hear you were somewhat prepared and doing the best you could
It would always be nice to have all the stuff one wants on the Mtn in an emergency but the sled only holds so much

Safe Riding for the rest of 2014 and may you next drop in the trees be easier in and out

birdie

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bivy sacks come in handy for more than sleeping.

The guy broke his elbow and arm in 9 places and wore a bivy sack like a dress. He was uncomfortably hot by the time we got to the truck.

Good read seems every time I read a thread like this my back pack gets a little heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only cheaper if you have a chain laying around. Lol

saw one at pa for $5.99 brand new for a 10 inch bar.? as far as i know, just a quick look. I made one last year, works good, but only on the one pull stroke. I also have the pocket chainsaw, it also works well but costs around $25 or so, fits in it's own can and is already put together.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had one that had a real chainsaw chain-in-a-can.. I can't recall where he bought it.

Worked like a hotdam

Pop a rivet on a chain saw chain, run a piece of rope or wire through rivet hole attach rope to wire, cheaper than the pocket chainsaw and u can sharpen it

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a coghlans tarp. It's 50" x 79" and has silver on one side, red on another. Also has eyelets. Folds up the size of a magazine. I hardly notice it in my pack.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had one that had a real chainsaw chain-in-a-can.. I can't recall where he bought it.

Worked like a hotdam

the one i made works really well, i should have filed the raker's down 4-5 strokes with a file first, but it cuts real easy and no bending etc with a long piece of para cord. also the convenince of the can carry case would be nice.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad all are found safe and sound! The orange from the Avy Bag inflated was really smart. Definitely highlights the need to ensure you are visible in an emergency situation. I've seen lots of really cool white sleds with white and black wraps with guys wearing matching or all black gear which would be extremely hard to find if stuck in a tree hole never mind a critical emergency situation. Something to consider when picking colours for your sled and gear...

Top Bottom