1978 house furnace replacement

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it cost me a boat load of cash to clean the asbestos out of my new (old) house before I am aloud to demolish it.

Interesting, so you have to abate asbestos before you demo???? Why is that? Some sort of law???

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a pita. I'd just keep the old furnace or get a newer house...

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’m looking at buying a house built in the late 70’s.
It has two furnaces. They look original to me and my realtor.
Some one told me you can’t buy a mid efficient furnace now. Has to be high efficiency with the vents going out the walls. Is this true ?
The HWT is new in 2017 but furnaces are original.
And what is a rough cost to R&R a furnace ?

Thanks in advance

****ty, I just sold a nice Carrier furnace only 3 years old for $400 , I’ll bet it would have worked for you.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our lovely "free" country won't sell you parts for a old house furnace....if it needs any.

I'm sure you can get some some how. but they don't build them like they used too anyways. they will probably rUn another 40 years without needing any fixing.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can usually get parts but it is a universal part and sometimes takes a modification to make it fit/work. Every $1 worth of fuel you put in to an old furnace .20-.30cents is going up the chimney wasted, a new high efficiency furnace will be .03-.08cents. However there is a lot more to go wrong with a new one and it can get pricey to repair when off warranty.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when we built our house i went with a boiler and heat exchanger no furnace only thing to fix is the boiler and most is just maintenance

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can usually get parts but it is a universal part and sometimes takes a modification to make it fit/work. Every $1 worth of fuel you put in to an old furnace .20-.30cents is going up the chimney wasted, a new high efficiency furnace will be .03-.08cents. However there is a lot more to go wrong with a new one and it can get pricey to repair when off warranty.

going to take a while to pay of the expense and hassle at that rate lol

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Putting in a high efficiency furnace will pay itself of within a matter of a few years. Instead of paying a few hundred or more a month you will be paying less than half of that. people with the same size unit i have are paying 1/4 of what it costs to run my furnace in gas not to mention the savings in hydro as well... Plus you will gain all that space back especially if its similar to the furnace w had as a kid that took up a small room.. Talk to people that install modular homes a lot of times people will install a heat pump and sell off the brand new furnace for less than 1/2 of new and it still comes with full warranty

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went from that old 1979 furnace, to the high efficiency out the wall furnace, went with the dc motor.. that saves on electricity for sure and it also took out all the cold spots in the house because it runs 24/7. The gas savings are about 30-40% the electricity about 20 dollars a month for the DC motor only, but that motor will cost you and extra 750 bucks.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our new one never stops sh!tn out water, every couple of days I have to bust the icicles off the exhaust pipe and the water pump is always pumping water into our own septic system, and the furnace throws quite a few error codes....I miss the old one lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heads up for personal safety and CO in your home.

Been to a few CO alarms in homes with high efficiency furnaces

The exhaust vent has iced over causing CO in the home.

check your exhaust pipes for icing. That includes hot water tanks.

Also have a good CO alarm in your home.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last house I was in, I had to replace the furnace when I bought it (2007). Put a high efficiency in. Had a bunch of issues with it. Pressure switch went in the second year. Had a string of intermittent issues and the plumber couldn't find the problem. Got pissed off and dug into it myself. Found the housing on the pressurization blower was cracked and wasn't building constant pressure in the burner box and was causing the problems. Went and bought the part and never had an issue. Built a new house in 2013 and HE Lennox was put in it. 2 years in, pressure switch f-ed up on it. Knock on wood, haven't had an issue since, but these things are nothing more than a bunch of plastic junk and just won't last. To top off my rant, gas valve on the water heater took a dump on Sunday night. These things are made so the HVAC people will never run out of work.

Top Bottom