163'' vs 154''

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's a 154? Is that something available only in Saskatchewan?

But really 163 all day long. Had them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Perhaps! 163 here is too much if you spend the majority of time riding here. 146 is honestly plenty most years. That being said my dealer who is in Manitoba has sold a small number of 174's already.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 154 Freeride put me any where I wanted to go this season, I am getting the 163 t3 for next season though. Rode the 174 a few days ago, Too much track for the stock etec IMO. Lots of traction, no track speed though. My 154 would easily climb any thing it would in current Revy snow conditions. With a turbo the 174 would be unstoppable though.....

mjkl

Reaction score
Nobody has any dealer recommendations? I'm new to the city so I don't know who to avoid or who offers the best customer service? Thanks

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 154 Freeride put me any where I wanted to go this season, I am getting the 163 t3 for next season though. Rode the 174 a few days ago, Too much track for the stock etec IMO. Lots of traction, no track speed though. My 154 would easily climb any thing it would in current Revy snow conditions. With a turbo the 174 would be unstoppable though.....

Couldn't have said it better myself. An 872 trygstad should be stock on that 174. All about the track speed.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Nobody has any dealer recommendations? I'm new to the city so I don't know who to avoid or who offers the best customer service? Thanks
If you're looking to buy in Edmonton I'd check out Martin Motorsports. I've been really happy with the way they do business there and from what I could see the value for what you pay for the sled is pretty good, especially if you're planning to snowcheck. Salespeople and the rest of the staff have all been great to deal with. Couldn't tell you much about their service department as I've never had to make any warranty claims on my xm, but everything was put together properly from PDI so I'd say that puts them ahead of a lot of other shops right there lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Get in touch with T-Team (a vocal, well informed member on here). He is a salesman at Martin's South. They will look after you and you can be a happy camper dealing with them.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the lack of track speed with a 174. How about your ground speed?

The 174 may not turn as quick as the 164 or shorter track but with the added floatation your actual ground speed will increase. Also excellent for moving slower.

What would you rather have, a 154 that can turn the track at 55mph on the speedo and climbing at 40 mph, or a 174 that turns the track at 50mph and climbs at 50 mph. Just picking random numbers as conditions and rider weight will vary.

The 163 has become the more rounded package now with its track improvments and other notable changes to sleds.

Throw your leg over a 163 and you won't know its 4" longer until it counts.

sent from a top secret location

lewishillbilly

Reaction score
i went to a '14 x 163 from a 154 , 163 is the way to go imo ! It makes tree riding a lot easier and the difference on the trail ride in is negligible(and really...who cares about the trial ride in??)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the lack of track speed with a 174. How about your ground speed?

The 174 may not turn as quick as the 164 or shorter track but with the added floatation your actual ground speed will increase. Also excellent for moving slower.

What would you rather have, a 154 that can turn the track at 55mph on the speedo and climbing at 40 mph, or a 174 that turns the track at 50mph and climbs at 50 mph. Just picking random numbers as conditions and rider weight will vary.

The 163 has become the more rounded package now with its track improvments and other notable changes to sleds.

Throw your leg over a 163 and you won't know its 4" longer until it counts.

Well climbing out of sugar bowl the other day with the t3 174 my ground speed was about 2mph,, barly made it. Same pull on my freeride same day 20mph coming over the top,,, you need momentum going up vert,, that 174 was sketchy going over the top... needs more power...

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well climbing out of sugar bowl the other day with the t3 174 my ground speed was about 2mph,, barly made it. Same pull on my freeride same day 20mph coming over the top,,, you need momentum going up vert,, that 174 was sketchy going over the top... needs more power...

like 20 mph 3hr later in the t3 hard track?

08nytro

Reaction score

I think you better keep that free ride. It sounds fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the difference in width 15 163 vs 16 154 any thoughts on that

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes. I raced 3 stock 163 pro rmk's with 15 wide and my 154 2 1/4" 16 wide beat them by 1 sled multiple times up a fairly steep hill climb. Power needs to match the track length and paddle size or else track speed suffers. Very simple.

watthead

Reaction score
My last sled was a 163, and i moved back to a 154 this year. It all depends on snow conditions. If its deep powder 163 is the choice. If you get alot of windswept, spring riding, trail, wet snow, then 154 works just ass well or better. I loved the 163 in what i called "Billy Goat Mode" just half throttle making lots of maneuvers through whatever terrain you want in powder snow. I ride Northern Alberta areas mostly so the 154 fits better for me up here. Shorter track helps you bite into and sidehill in harder snow.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's an old argument. Is there more surface area of the 16" wide, yes, is it measurable, yes, (barely)does it equal more floatation, yes and no, does it require more power to use it, yes and no.

Length matters more than width though when comparing those two tracks. The longer track will perform better.

When comparing two completely different sleds it would also give you various results. Would a 154 xm perform better than a 163 pro because the Xm has a 16" wide track in deep snow? No. The length with lighter weight of the sled most times will perform better.

Top Bottom