163'' vs 154''

mjkl

Reaction score
I'm looking into spring checking a Summit and cant decide between the 163'' or 154'' track. I will be doing mostly mountain riding but I also ride some trails/ditchbanging. I have an Xp 146'' now so I know either one will be a hell of a lot better handling than my current sled. Also I was looking at the Freerides too, but I don't know if its really worth the extra cash for me. Open for any advice/opinions Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
FYI, there is a rumor out there, if one goes to 163" there is no looking back!

My last 154 was in '08. 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 have all been 163" and the difference is incredible, IMHO. You will get to places you have never been before (higher in the trees, new lines, and if you are a high marker, higher marks). I carve and manoeuvre just as well with the 163" and the big advantage is that I now can take more time to find a line or an opening. I don't have to do everything at 90mph so as not to get stuck. Freeride vs a Summit, I have no seat time on the Freeride. For what I doo, mostly tree riding with no jumps, the Summit is great! Ditch banging, although I don't ride ditches out here, could be handled well with the 163" but probably more nimble with the 154". That's my thoughts on your question.......:d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys here have the 163 and have no serious issues with them when riding at home. (except 1guy with a 3"X 174", it has thrown half of it's lugs off).

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a XM 154 and have been wishing it was a 163. So I would recommend 163.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the long track. I have ridden the new 163 vs my freeride 154. Next sled I buy will be a 163 or even 174

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh stick with the 154 xm then swap it to a 156 camo 3". If your a good enough rider it will take you anywhere you want and you can still dangle through the trees with ease.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all about the track speed. These 174x3" tracks are going to be rotating pretty slow. All depends what type of rider you are. If you like chute climbs and long pulls 174 might be a good option but if you are more of a freerider (trees, jumps, whips etc) I would stick with a smaller track and just upgrade to a 3" paddle for deep days. IMO.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all about the track speed. These 174x3" tracks are going to be rotating pretty slow. All depends what type of rider you are.

mjkl

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm not into climbing big chutes or high marking, more into trees and jumping/trails. Just wondering how good a 163'' would be on trails or in the trees, I don't want to get a 154'' and then wish I would've got a 163 as I plan on keeping the sled for 2-3 seasons.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm not into climbing big chutes or high marking, more into trees and jumping/trails. Just wondering how good a 163'' would be on trails or in the trees, I don't want to get a 154'' and then wish I would've got a 163 as I plan on keeping the sled for 2-3 seasons.

Further to my first post, I ride a groomed trail 10-20 km (depending if I am riding in Elkford or Fernie) and then it is into the trees and single track trails. I would never go back to anything shorter for where and what I ride. The 163 takes the bumps better on a rough trail, tractors and side hills through the trees better and is forgiving (meaning that you can enjoy the tree riding more with a slightly slower pace). I have a son on a 163 and he likes high speed in the trees, I like 5/8 - 3/4 throttle. We can both pretty much get to the same places only he gets there ahead of me.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Ahh stick with the 154 xm then swap it to a 156 camo 3". If your a good enough rider it will take you anywhere you want and you can still dangle through the trees with ease.

Going to a 3" is where you suffer a little on the trails. Especially had pack. You would get more of a vibration and less cooling if I not mistaken....

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a XM 154X. I love my sled. It does everything well. It jumps, tree rides, climbs. I spent a whole day on a XM 163 SP a couple of days ago not really even set up for me and with 80% break-in left. It does everything my 154 does only better. That sled is amazing and gives you so much confidence. I had to break trail in because the fellow I was with didn't know the route. It was horrific with creek beds, nasty side hills, tight trees and even a couple do or die narrow chutes. Once in the zone there was about 2 feet of fresh. The 163 went everywhere. The sled is amazingly stable and doesn't stop. It did not take anymore effort than my 154 to ride and jumped just a well. My next sled will be a 163.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all about the track speed. These 174x3" tracks are going to be rotating pretty slow. All depends what type of rider you are. If you like chute climbs and long pulls 174 might be a good option but if you are more of a freerider (trees, jumps, whips etc) I would stick with a smaller track and just upgrade to a 3" paddle for deep days. IMO.
that track alone is $1700. Cheaper to get one with it already on.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into spring checking a Summit and cant decide between the 163'' or 154'' track. I will be doing mostly mountain riding but I also ride some trails/ditchbanging. I have an Xp 146'' now so I know either one will be a hell of a lot better handling than my current sled. Also I was looking at the Freerides too, but I don't know if its really worth the extra cash for me. Open for any advice/opinions Thanks

163 all day. I don't have a problem rotating it fast enough. I got a 15 T3 163 coming...! Why stop in Olds if you're goin all the way to Cowtown bud? Lol

c.wilson07

Reaction score
I went to a163" this year and won't go back. find it no harder to maneuver and have been able to slow down in the trees making it easier

Top Bottom