1500 megacab vs 2500 mega cab..your opinion

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i'm looking at buying a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with a hemi. i know they are very similar to a 2500 in that they have the solid front axle and beefed up suspension from a regular half ton. the gvw on the door says 8500lbs, compared to 8800lbs on the 2500- (second figure given by salesperson, anyone confirm this?) .
basicly all i'm curious about is there something that would deter you from buying a half ton instead of the three quarter ton? i may want to get a sled deck for it, and will pull a holiday trailer with it - 27ft jayco 7500lbs. i'm just wondering why dodge would even offer this half ton option if they are so similar. thanks.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just going to point out the hemi is an absolutely useless towing engine. 7500lbs? have fun!

does the hemi come in the 2500 too or is it a 360 or something?

i dont know why dodge makes this truck. the single cabs can barely pull 2 sleds.

i realize the diesel is another 8-10g. but you wont regret it.

grizzlydave

Reaction score
With a gvw of 8500lbs or even 8800 lbs that pretty light, If your planning on putting a sled deck on any truck start looking for a truck with gvw of at least 9200lbs. Even that you will need to be careful of how many people you carry and the weight of the gear and trailer.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does the hemi come in the 2500 too or is it a 360 or something?

i realize the diesel is another 8-10g. but you wont regret it.

the hemi does come in the 2500 as well. i'm not sure if they play around with the torque/horsepower between the 1500 and 2500 but i know the 1500 has 345 hp and 375 ft/lb of torque. but i suppose these numbers are useless compared to real life experience...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
The Hemi in the Mega cab is like a leaf blower engine in a M1...

Waay too much truck, not enough engine. Not bad for driving around, but 10mpg empty and way worse when loaded. If you have ever laughed at the guy pulling a huge trailer with a Nissan, stop laughing because he will be passing you...If not on the hiway then for sure at the gas station.

Go diesel, or its a grocery getter, and not a very good one at that.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
funny thing is, it kinda will be a grocery getter for the next couple of years as it will be my wife driving it mostly, until my 97 gmc dies at least. but i hear what you guys are saying about the diesel.. does make more sense, and worth the coin:beer:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 1500, i pull a 4000lbs boat no issues, i pull a 5500 lbs trailer no issues.4 place Sled trailer no issues. Would i buy another hemi . NOT A FRIGGIN CHANCE. Yes it pulls fine, as long as you are will to go down the road over 110. The tranny has issues with wanting to kick in and out of gear under 110, pecking for the right gear to sit it. Save yourself the " wish i would have gone bigger"

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did, bought a 2006 1500 QC hemi in 2006 because I couldn't afford the diesel option in the 2500. We have a 29ft TT that maxed is 7500lbs, then the bikes in the back, all the other camping junk.

The truck by all means was NOT a slug,.... BUT if you like pulling hills at 5000rpm, the engine screaming, your wife asking why is it doing that,.. and in your head you are hoping to make it to the next gas station, while the transmission is hunting like a MOFO and can't decided what gear,.. Then get the MC hemi.

That was in a QC,.. I can see it no better in a MC,.. the hemi is offered in the 2500 PW with the 6spd, which makes a world of difference.

This spring I sold my hemi and bought my 2006 5.9 2500 QC LB for the same difference that I would have paid back in 2006 when I first bought the hemi :doh: Don't even know the trailer is back there, and quiet in the cab where no one has to yell to talk.

Do I regret getting the hemi no, do I regret NOT getting the diesel back in 2006 YES!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i agree the hemi will pull the load.

will it like it...no
will you like it.....no
will the transmission like it...no
will the engine like it....no
will it be fun.....no..

i enjoy being in a diesel and watching the rpms not move from 2000 for 8 hours..on the same tank of fuel..through the mountains..

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm also for the diesel you will not regret buying one I have had 2 gas trucks a chevy ss and a nissan titan and although they were both great trucks nothing compares to a diesel you will never go gas again. but ya like said previously thay are a horrible motor to tow with especially with all that truck and not much power i know it is tough to see the differenceon that extra money but then think of the resale value you never have people himing and hawing over buying a diesel. you would be sorry if you buy this truck in hemi just my opinion

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge has had no charge Cummins upgrade for atleast a month now $9200 option at no charge.

Sure it will be harder to move them much more on the price, but SLT, Quad Cabs 2500's (which now have 6 inches of more rear cab so takes away from really needing that mega cab) with everything but leather and sunroof going for $46,000 in Calgary. So yeah thats a brand new truck....

Not this year, but I will be getting rid of my 6.0 gaser 2500HD and going to a 2010 or newer Dodge QuadCab Cummins. Factory engine break, who wouldn't want that in the mountains.

If you are going to get a Dodge Diesel though, 2007 and prior was the 5.9, 4-speed then at 2007.5 went to the 6.7 with the DPF. Some 2007.5 trucks had issues being the first with the 6.7, the 6.7 paired with the 6-speed is an awesome truck.

Don't be detered from the 5.9's though, a pure proven motor. I just prefer the 6 speed tranny.

Oh yeah - the mega cab differences -

When both trucks are 4WD and are standard equipped, the 1500 has a 1,970 lbs payload and the 2500 has a 2,210 lbs payload. The 1500 has 14,000 lbs. GCWR and the 2500 has 15,000 lbs. GCWR.

The trucks otherwise are very simular. (aside from badging) The 1500 has 8 lug wheels because it needs to support the stupid weight of the MC. Everything on the trucks is rated the same. They come off the same line.

Many guys run decks on the MC's, I bet they are breaking there GVW though.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like that engine brake a lot so much that i bought a custom chip for my duramax that has one built into both tow mode settings and works great!!! definately a no brainer mod for anyone towing especially mountains

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge has had no charge Cummins upgrade for atleast a month now $9200 option at no charge.

Sure it will be harder to move them much more on the price, but SLT, Quad Cabs 2500's (which now have 6 inches of more rear cab so takes away from really needing that mega cab) with everything but leather and sunroof going for $46,000 in Calgary. So yeah thats a brand new truck....

i see what your saying, i priced out a new one- trx 4x4 crew cab, most options, 6.7 cummins and before the rebate of 9200 it came to $59600. so just over 50000 grand for a lot of truck, but still far out of my price range. i guess it just comes down to getting what you pay for. this truck i'm lookin at is super clean, 75000 km, average load, and $23900 from the dealer. the price is what caught my eye in the first place. stil up in the air a bit. as i said previously, its mostly for my wife and me if i decide to go on a trip with the 2 place trailer. still gonna think about it some, they'r gonna let me test it overnight, so i'll put it to test a bit with the trailer ect. make my decision then i guess. thanks

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my '06 1500 hemi(38,000km) for $18k private sale,.. I bought my 2006 diesel (160,000km) for $25k, I could have gotten it cheaper, but I was looking for awhile for a truck with certain options and this one popped up. Plus it had a $3500 work order on it and I didn't want to spend money later on for repairs.

When you test it, weight that biotch down with a heavy trailer and see what you think. If it will only be an occasional light hauler, and I mean light, then maybe it might not be so bad,.. but if ya plan to tow with it larger loads,.. not sure if you are going to like it.

The torque management in those auto trannies isn't the greatest, 345hp at the flywheel, but only about 265hp at the wheels.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad you missed ford emplyee pricing, 2011 F-350 lariats going for $54,000 (retail $76,000) and the ford have the exhaust brake as well. So I bet an XLT would have been cheaper yet. My buddy bought a brand new F150 XLT with the chrome package for $28,000 and another friend got an F150 lariat for $38,000. Just sayin'

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said the hemi isn't great for towing, and even worse in the mega cab. Something to consider with the mega cab and deck, the wheelbase is TERRIBLE for hauling. You cannot put barely any weight on the front and the weight is so far back, ANY weight means airbags are a must on them. The problem is the wheelbase is the same as the longbox, but the box starts 18" later on the MC, it's also much worse then a QC shortbox.

My dads 3500 megacab, about 600lbs in the box, 1200lbs from a trailer, and it is easily 2" lower in the rear, pretty much 4" of sag and a little light in the steering(the front is actually lighter loaded then empty).
Direct comparison my QC longbox dually, isn't even on overloads with the same and still rear high, however the duallies do have a bit heavier spring rate.

Also, if you plan to tow much or heavy, go with 4:10's. It is a WORLD of difference pulling, not that the cummins needs any help but it makes it a lot easier on the truck, especially if you go with a auto. A standard with 4:10's is just plain amazing.

The exhaust brake is nice, but the emissions are still garbage and need to be deleted to have a decent truck. And the 6 speed auto downshifting is absolutely unbearable, when I tow with my dads 6.7 I never put it in tow/haul because it downshifts so harsh and stupid.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
hi guys, i'm looking at buying a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with a hemi. i know they are very similar to a 2500 in that they have the solid front axle and beefed up suspension from a regular half ton. the gvw on the door says 8500lbs, compared to 8800lbs on the 2500- (second figure given by salesperson, anyone confirm this?) .
basicly all i'm curious about is there something that would deter you from buying a half ton instead of the three quarter ton? i may want to get a sled deck for it, and will pull a holiday trailer with it - 27ft jayco 7500lbs. i'm just wondering why dodge would even offer this half ton option if they are so similar. thanks.

7500lbs is a lot for a gas motor,,Towing that with a HemiMega Cab would make it sweat,,if not chit itself

Top Bottom