14 Summit not reading key.. almost left me for dead

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so.. 14 summit x... on like 350 k on the thing.. went down to mcbride for the weekend and rode sat all day sled ran unreal. next day sled starts and runs good till we get to the cabin then all of a sudden the key stops reading for ten minutes at a time and then i look through the whol elsed trying to find a problem. Nothing comes up so i try again it starts! BUT every time i shut it off the key stops reading again and i need to screw with it for about ten minutes and it will read again.

WTF is going on here!? pretty big waste of a trip... and im starting to think pretty big waste of 14 g on a xm..... dealer tells me "oh thats weird, well good luck with that" .Ur F**kin kidding me rite..?

anyone know what is going on.... or what i need to do?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a new key. and a spare key. unfortunately this does happen once in a while. fairly rare but it does happen. its never happened to me but to a guy in my group. ever since then ive always ordered a spare key with my new sleds. also nothing your dealer can do if your in mcbride.....nothing else to even check. just needs a new key :(

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell is right. Your taking your chances not carrying a second key. When you go in the backcountry its always nice to have a backup, whether its keys or belts or plugs.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell is right. Your taking your chances not carrying a second key. When you go in the backcountry its always nice to have a backup, whether its keys or belts or plugs.

and as extra jug of doolaide helps. lol

if your riding group rides doo's you can go in together ans get an extra key and have all your sleds programed on the extra key, saves a little money , if that helps you out.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and as extra jug of doolaide helps. lol

if your riding group rides doo's you can go in together ans get an extra key and have all your sleds programed on the extra key, saves a little money , if that helps you out.

ya i really like that concept. might try that next season.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We see alot of guys bring there spare key in when there new ride is getting built and just have it reprogrammed for there new ride. Never really have to buy a new one every year anyways if you are worried about the $40.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an extra that i have programed for all four of my sled, have offered to have friends programe the spare key to there sleds. so far no takers. but it could get ya out of the bush or enable you to continue for the weekend

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so do i need to take the sled back to the dealer to get the keys reprogrammed? or do that do the programming before i even get the keys?

beatty

Reaction score
happened to me back in 08 and my 14 did the same thing one key covered under warranty and always carry a spare this problem is old goes back to the older days, helps not to use it for a tether but to install another one if you like using a tether.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thats retarded... its designed to be a teather but if u use it as a teather theres a possibility of it breaking lol.
ok so i guess ill load it up and take it to riverside i guess

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well thats retarded... its designed to be a teather but if u use it as a teather theres a possibility of it breaking lol.
ok so i guess ill load it up and take it to riverside i guess
The guys I ride with all leave it hooked to the sled and use the kill switch. If they get off the sled they just unhook. Easy peasy..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys I ride with all leave it hooked to the sled and use the kill switch. If they get off the sled they just unhook. Easy peasy..
that's what I do as well, seems like every time I pull the tether I have to wiggle it for the check key message when I fire it up again. I carry a spare, but would rather not flirt with danger lol

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea but that doesn't fix the issue that if something were to get struck in the throttle the thing would take off and end up god knows where. It was designed to be a tether for a reason... so u don't have to buy an aftermarket one.

its stupid... best sled on the market and its downfall are the shitty keys/ tethers they come with.
ski doo needs to fix that ch!t.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The throttle has a feature so that it can't take off on its own. It won't allow the sled to start with the throttle open.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea but that doesn't fix the issue that if something were to get struck in the throttle the thing would take off and end up god knows where. It was designed to be a tether for a reason... so u don't have to buy an aftermarket one.

its stupid... best sled on the market and its downfall are the shitty keys/ tethers they come with.
ski doo needs to fix that ch!t.

Ya they could put a key and no tether like other brands lol. Then you can buy a tether and get your sled stolen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say about etecs and dess keys is use it as a tether.. Etecs can run wide open upside down or when their rolling over on you.. After the second time i almost got eaten by the thing i bought a spare key and started using it how it was designed..

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say about etecs and dess keys is use it as a tether.. Etecs can run wide open upside down or when their rolling over on you.. After the second time i almost got eaten by the thing i bought a spare key and started using it how it was designed..

exactly my point. They were disgned to be a tether so u should be able to use it as a tether without it getting screwed up. that way if it does take off or roll over u or something happens it shuts down , BUT ON THE OTHER HAND WORKS FOR LIKE more then 300 KM!

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long does it take them to make a new key?

Top Bottom