13' pro drive belt issues?

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356279737.888895.jpg

So got back from valemount/ blue river and looked at my belt had some ice build up around the foot well by the belt and wore a notch into the outside of the belt.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 ProRMK 600, 170 miles on it thus far (all mountain riding). No damage to belt or driveshaft.(clamp not installed yet) I carry a spare belt in the trailer with the tools to change it. I suspect the 600's will not have the failure rate that the 800's will have due to the additional torque that the 800 has...

bradb

Reaction score
Are you going to replace it? I wonder if it will weaken the belt. With the power your turbo makes, I would change it and keep that one as a spare. You sledding over Xmas?

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy at cycle works when they did that recall on the driveshaft looked at it and said that it shouldn't effect it because its hardly wore into the back of it, I'm going to carry the spare in the front nose of the sled, and I'm not changing it until it breaks.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
2013 ProRMK 600, 170 miles on it thus far (all mountain riding). No damage to belt or driveshaft.(clamp not installed yet) I carry a spare belt in the trailer with the tools to change it. I suspect the 600's will not have the failure rate that the 800's will have due to the additional torque that the 800 has...

Don't kid yourself..... get the clamp on there....

Climber1

Reaction score
Page 65 in the manual:

Drive Belt/QUICKDRIVE Belt Break-In
The length of the break-in period varies depending on the type of drive system. The break-in period for a new drive belt is 30 miles (48 km). The break-in period for a new QUICKDRIVE belt is 100 miles (160 km).

• During the break-in period, vary the throttle position under 50% and limit full throttle use.
  • Always take time to warm up the belt and driveline prior to operating the snowmobile. Free the track and skis from the ground before engaging throttle.
    QUICKDRIVE Belt
    During the 100 miles (160 km) of belt break-in, the rider will hear a sound made by the drive system. After the break-in period, the sound will become similar to that of a traditional chaincase.
    During the break-in period, this belt will shed a fiber-type material in and around the drive system. Use a dry shop towel to clean the residue.

I heard about a couple of belts going; one on a turbo and less than 30 km before he opened it up... another guy with a "ride it like a rental" attitude right out of the parking lot. Over 600 km on mine and its sweet. Went from an M8 to the 600 this year; age and ego didn't need 800 on the hood. Performance so far has been awesome!

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Just a quicky on the quick belt... I was riding last weekend with Randy from Whitecap Rec in Slave Lake he has a hot turboed pro 155 that I watched him wail on for two days hard and he never had an issue.

Shaft fine and belt fine. That thing went like a raped ape by the way holy crap...

And I'm an XM guy so there yahoo

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have to put 160 km on the belt to break it in is an absolute joke. For some folks that's a whole weekends trip to the mountains prancing around at half throttle. Ya that will happen lmfao what were they thinking. These sleds need to be built to take a full throttle beating from the time they leave the show room

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fact that you have to put 160 km on the belt to break it in is an absolute joke. For some folks that's a whole weekends trip to the mountains prancing around at half throttle. Ya that will happen lmfao what were they thinking. These sleds need to be built to take a full throttle beating from the time they leave the show room

Belt break in coincides with engine break in for similar mileages, what's the problem here again maxwell?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt break in coincides with engine break in for similar mileages, what's the problem here again maxwell?

Ya who actually follows that is the problem. If you don't follow engine breakin procedure it's not going to blow. But the belt will. That's the problem. It's great to put it in printing doesn't mean people will listen. I don't recall driving 1000km to putt around at half throttle all weekend.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya who actually follows that is the problem. If you don't follow engine breakin procedure it's not going to blow. But the belt will. That's the problem. It's great to put it in printing doesn't mean people will listen. I don't recall driving 1000km to putt around at half throttle all weekend.

We follow the break in procedures to the letter, and always have. This is a simple and expected part of mountain sledding and in running equipment in general maxwell, and you know it. For the owners that do not follow the break in procedures and then experience failures directly related to that, I have no sympathy.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We follow the break in procedures to the letter, and always have. This is a simple and expected part of mountain sledding and in running equipment in general maxwell, and you know it. For the owners that do not follow the break in procedures and then experience failures directly related to that, I have no sympathy.

Well that's good and there's no sense arguing about it because everyone's break in procedures vary by opinion. What we do is beat the hell out of them right out of the box. A lot of good engine builders will say the same. Heck even the new cummins dealers are saying to hook up to something heavy and give it a good workout now so like I said all opinion. My findings is just that a lot of people aren't going to follow break in like the manual states is all I'm saying.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree with you Maxwell.. I would just hope that if people are spending 10k+ on something they would do some research on any questionable subject..

For example my R1 said in the manual to do a light break-in.. but after I did research it said to throw it on a dyno and go balls out.. so I did that and it still runs perfect to this day.

Not every 4-stroke or 2-stroke will be the same.. research is key

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

What about those who prescribe to the theory that you break it in by "Driving it like you stole it"????? That one always kills me........lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt break in is an absolute joke. For the price they charge for that crap it should come pre broke in. Same as drive belts.

Ive broke all of my sleds in by heat cycling once, then warming up good and riding it like its stolen for probably the last 10 sleds. Never had an issue. In fact it seems like I always get the "good" one in the bunch. Im thinking its my break in procedure. :)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YEP! You gots to seat those rings... If anything's gonna fail, it will in the first WOT pull.... unless it's a poo.. LOL(JK)

Belt break in is an absolute joke. For the price they charge for that crap it should come pre broke in. Same as drive belts.

Ive broke all of my sleds in by heat cycling once, then warming up good and riding it like its stolen for probably the last 10 sleds. Never had an issue. In fact it seems like I always get the "good" one in the bunch. Im thinking its my break in procedure. :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
anymore personal attacks in this thread will be dealt with via the ban button.

Thanks.

Top Bottom