1/2 ton pickup

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a half ton pick with overloads haul a sled deck with 2 sleds, I know it's illegal but can the truck do it and be ok to drive some what safely, Its payload weight is around 1500 never minding the overloads ?

Last edited:

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can a half ton pick with overloads haul a sled deck with 2 sleds, I know it's illegal but can the truck do it and be ok to drive some what safely, Its payload weight is around 1500 never minding the overloads ?
sure why not? farmers doit all the time

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
age old question, age old answer, maybe look the answer up. yer pickup, will be overloaded. 2 sleds will be close to 1200lbs loaded up, yer aluminum deck will be close to 300lbs, gear , 2 guys yer pushin 2000 lbs, ice and snow accumulation, yer at 2500 to 3000 lbs, good luck in an accident. you will have overloaded brakes for sure.

you can do it yes, legal no. be careful, corners, ice and brakeing, your call or gamble.

Last edited:

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1500 Silverado with a sled deck on. i have airbags that i inflate to 30 lbs and the ride height with 2 sleds is perfect. The newer half tons are rated with a GVWR that is very close to the old 3/4 ton and the newer sleds are lighter. In saying that, you should load up and hit the scales. The sticker on your door jam should tell you the GVW and go from there. Mine rides and drives very well, braking is good and with my XP and sons smaller sled, i am legal.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never said I would I was just wondering if it was possible I'm gonna most likely get a trailer

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
age old question, age old answer, maybe look the answer up. yer pickup, will be overloaded. 2 sleds will be close to 1200lbs loaded up, yer aluminum deck will be close to 300lbs, gear , 2 guys yer pushin 2000 lbs, ice and snow accumulation, yer at 2500 to 3000 lbs, good luck in an accident. you will have overloaded brakes for sure.

you can do it yes, legal no. be careful, corners, ice and brakeing, your call or gamble.
it's not illegal in AB, they go by tire weight rating. that's right from the mouth of the DOT.

oops, just noticed the OP is from john. it is illegal.....my bad

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
it's not illegal in AB, they go by tire weight rating. that's right from the mouth of the DOT.

oops, just noticed the OP is from john. it is illegal.....my bad

Hard to take a guy serious with a stache like that...

robhayward

Reaction score
I've done it for years. 2007 gm half ton with helwig springs (same as super springs). Payload was as high as any half ton before or since. I drove the ch!t out of it and it worked good. Lots of guys will say "ooooh it's too heavy, it's unsafe... waaaah" Just do it.
Air bags are $350 and then the ride height would be leveled.

But yeah I've weighed and was 800-1000lbs over, full load with gear, gas and guys. Too bad it's illegal because new trucks can handle it.

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it for years. 2007 gm half ton with helwig springs (same as super springs). Payload was as high as any half ton before or since. I drove the ch!t out of it and it worked good. Lots of guys will say "ooooh it's too heavy, it's unsafe... waaaah" Just do it.

But yeah I've weighed and was 800-1000lbs over, full load with gear, gas and guys. Too bad it's illegal because new trucks can handle it.
Have fun when they pull you over and weigh you in BC.

chromed

Reaction score

Is there a thumbs down button? :rolleyes:

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad yur not a pilot RobHaywire

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes your over weight, can the truck handle it...problably yes with no problems, I've done into BC a few times and never had a problem. I stopped becuase I didnt like the way the front end felt (too light), I now use a trailer. But as per saftey I'd rather have an over loaded half ton on the road beside me cause usually they now their over loaded and drive accordingly, its the Pro Stars in the lifted diesel trucks with hockey puck mud tires pulling the biggest trailer they can with no weight over the rear axle (see it all the time, bumpers dragging, front end touching the sky) and doing a buck 40 passing on blind corners etc that scare me!

Top Bottom