09 xp blowen motor on rental

crashdunn

Reaction score
I am posting this to get more info for a buddy. We talked our buddy into renting a sled for last weekend so he did. He rented from All Season Rentals in Calgary. He picked it up thur night and we hauled it to revy in our heated enclosed trailer. Friday morning unload to ride boulder. We let everything warm up as we buy our passes. (4 other 08 xp's in the group not rentals) Get 4 KM up the trail and the motor goes 9:30am. Tow it down and call them they don't beleive us. He drops it off and tries to get his money back and they won't plus yesterday they call him and tell him he has to pay for the motor cause of cold start. They said they took it to the dealer in calgary and they agree.
What are your thoughts and are they trying to screw him?
Thanks

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk them its a rental, lose your rental fee and move on.

crashdunn

Reaction score
He would but they have a pre auth for 1500 that they are taking. He canceled his credit card but they said they still might be able to access it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Not a good business strategy in my opinion.....

Any idea what the mileage on the sled was? Crashing it is one thing, can't see how mechanical failure can be held against the renter.... thats like renting a car from Budget having the motor go and them telling you you are responsible for replacing said motor...

I'd fight it tooth & nail...

as a rental company, just like the rest of us, it has to be expected that a certain percentage of sleds will suffer from pre-mature mechanical issues.

Tell them about Snow and Mud and that thier decision good or bad will be made public for the 25000 members on here...

So his sled trip was ruined...if anything they should be compensating him in good faith..

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Not a good business strategy in my opinion.....

Any idea what the mileage on the sled was? Crashing it is one thing, can't see how mechanical failure can be held against the renter.... thats like renting a car from Budget having the motor go and them telling you you are responsible for replacing said motor...

I'd fight it tooth & nail...

as a rental company, just like the rest of us, it has to be expected that a certain percentage of sleds will suffer from pre-mature mechanical issues.

Tell them about Snow and Mud and that thier decision good or bad will be made public for the 25000 members on here...

So his sled trip was ruined...if anything they should be compensating him in good faith..

I rent lots of stuff for the company and I have to agree...stuff happens, and stuff breaks...

I gaurantee they have insurance for this type of thing. Fight, Fight, Fight...then when ya win, go after them to get your money back, and maybe compensation for wrecking your trip.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rent lots of stuff for the company and I have to agree...stuff happens, and stuff breaks...

I gaurantee they have insurance for this type of thing. Fight, Fight, Fight...then when ya win, go after them to get your money back, and maybe compensation for wrecking your trip.
Agree with long horn........and always but rental insurance from the rental company...it's your out if something does go south........even if the fine print has a disclaimer, they can't sell bogus insurance to people and go after them for problems after the fact disclaimer or not..................so signy signy payie payie.....and forget about being responsible for anything breaking smashing etc.....

crashdunn

Reaction score
If this happend on sat or sun they might have a leg to stand on but day 1, 4KM's up the trail BULL SHAT. Weekend wasn't a total loss cause one of our buddies travels with a spare in his trailer so that got us threw friday, but he rented for sat so they should give his money back and compinsate for the sat rental

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta agree a cold start can have happened and not show up for 1 or 2 rides later. fog your hat guys lets be honest here.

crashdunn

Reaction score
The sled was warmed up properly. It had 2000 miles on it and the bottom was covered in hay and when we filled it cause they don't we put 39 lt in it so I am sure it has been road hard. Just sucks that they just point the finger and not take everything into consideration

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good old cold seize,thats the answer every time,i worked at a dealer for 8 years it used alot!,it could have been the guy before you riding deep powder and sucked in steam witch i've seen more times then cold seizing,but sure look the same.

robhayward

Reaction score
I could see a cold start on a 07 XRS where they don't have thermostats. But with your evidence of a proper warm up and the small likelyhood that it was a "pull the cord and pin it" there should be no repair bill and a rental discount.

All Season Rentals hey, well I'm taking my work buds out sometime on rentals and they can count one sale down the tubes (unless they really come around for your bud)

You can call your visa card company and tell them to stop payment on a bill and the selling company has 30 days to respond and ask for the payment. I've only done this once to force a refund, TD VISA was really good.

Stonehands

Reaction score
I would counter sue them for the lost time, hotel rental, beer, pain and suffering and any thing else you can think of. F@#k them bastards. Cold seize my ass. I never let my sled sit and warm up before I head up the road. Just take it easy for a mile or two and never had a problem on any sled i've ever ridden. 2000 miles of rental and that sled has paid for itself already. Like I said before F them and not pay them a dime.

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Ya, total bullchit. I operated a rental/tour company for years and not once did I ever charge anyone for mechanical failure. The credit card authorization is for physical damages ONLY!
Tell your buddy to contact is credit card company and file a fraudulant charge case against the rental company. It's super easy to do, just a little paperwork. Contest the authorization and change the credit card number immediately. The rental company won't stand a chance. I've had people actually wreck sleds and pull the fraudulant charge move and I've lost even when it was for physical damages. There is no way they will win for mechanical issues.
Once the rental company is flagged for a fraudulent charge they will have NO ACCESS to his card whatsoever. Not only will they not have access to his account, but they won't be able to do anything without contacting a rep from the credit card company.
Contested charges can effect the owners credit as well. It will force him to be a little more honest...

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, total bullchit. I operated a rental/tour company for years and not once did I ever charge anyone for mechanical failure. The credit card authorization is for physical damages ONLY!
Tell your buddy to contact is credit card company and file a fraudulant charge case against the rental company. It's super easy to do, just a little paperwork. Contest the authorization and change the credit card number immediately. The rental company won't stand a chance. I've had people actually wreck sleds and pull the fraudulant charge move and I've lost even when it was for physical damages. There is no way they will win for mechanical issues.
Once the rental company is flagged for a fraudulent charge they will have NO ACCESS to his card whatsoever. Not only will they not have access to his account, but they won't be able to do anything without contacting a rep from the credit card company.
Contested charges can effect the owners credit as well. It will force him to be a little more honest...

some good advice here

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Also ask for the paperwork from the Dealer they took it to as well.

Good idea, just don't use the paperwork for anything more than your own knowledge. The dealers are always in with the rental companies. Rental companies are big money for dealers, and dealers will do anything to help them out. Trust me on that one! Just stick to the very basics of this. You are NOT responsible for ANY mechanical failures of this sled. You are responsible for physical damages only! Get that paperwork filed on the fraudulent charge ASAP! Then just let your credit card company deal with the rental outfit. I've been in this type of business for about 12 years and I have only ever won 1 disputed credit card charge. It is next to impossible for retailers to win disputed charges.
Bottom line. Keep it simple. You aren't responsible for the mechanics of the sled.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea, just don't use the paperwork for anything more than your own knowledge. The dealers are always in with the rental companies. Rental companies are big money for dealers, and dealers will do anything to help them out. Trust me on that one! Just stick to the very basics of this. You are NOT responsible for ANY mechanical failures of this sled. You are responsible for physical damages only! Get that paperwork filed on the fraudulent charge ASAP! Then just let your credit card company deal with the rental outfit. I've been in this type of business for about 12 years and I have only ever won 1 disputed credit card charge. It is next to impossible for retailers to win disputed charges.
Bottom line. Keep it simple. You aren't responsible for the mechanics of the sled.

Just would be good info ,throw their name up here as well :) Give them some nice exposure ...

jhsummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.jhactivities.com
Just would be good info ,throw their name up here as well :) Give them some nice exposure ...

Good idea, let people know who is screwing people over so that others don't get screwed. Also, not sure how it works up North but down here if people aren't happy they tell the local Chamber of Commerce. That will hurt there local reputation, create awareness and make them think twice about their stance on this.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
those guys are dicks. i wanted to rent a bike from them for a weekend so i called them to reserve it and they said to just come in and it would be ready.
when i got there no bikes at all. dont let them screw your buddy over i rode an 08 xp for a few years untell it got stolden and i was told by the dealer that i should do the top end at 2000-2500miles so it was prob ready to blow up any how.

Top Bottom