08 800r - No compression

martincc

Reaction score
sled failed me finally on the weekend. Started running funny then just quit in a bad spot. Got it running again by pouring gas into the cylinders but it was only running on one. Got it out of the valley on one cylinder, and towed to the truck. Checked compression tonight, 130psi on passenger side, won't move the needle on the drivers side. Find it odd that it will make nothing, even with a small hole or something it should move the needle slightly? It is easy to pull over as is the plug is out so it is for sure not making anything. Possible exaust valve is stuck or something? Not a two stroke expert by any means.. but have a feeling i'm going to be learning quick! Any suggestions? Reading how to remove the head tonight, will try removing it tomorrow night to take a look. Wondering if there is something i should check before. Sled is a 2008 summit xp 800r with 4100kms... zero problems before this.. likley its number is up though with the kms. Would love to make revy this weekend but not looking good. Anyone recomend a good engine shop in calgary? maybe big bore? can an 08 crank handle an 860? thanks!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
You have done well with the kms! Kims had 4288 on an 07....

New shortblock and all is well two weeks later.

All the same as you have posted.... I would not piss around as when we are back far in the hills I do not need issues.....

Riverside in Edmontaon has smokin deals and a two day turnaround.....
Hope it all works out for yah.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the new short block too. High miler like that your gonna be having crank trouble not far down the road if you just do a top end.

martincc

Reaction score
whats a new short block going to cost me? other thing I should mention is I have been nursing the PTO side crank bearing after noticing last season a ton of grease had leaked out... I inject isoflex grease every second ride into it.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you got lucky with running 4100km - I have / usually re-ring and replace pistons every 2000km - also depends on what kind of riding you do - out west I think mountain riding is alot harder on engines - especially with long hard pulls and then coming back doing and doing it all over again!! In most cases the ring locator breaks - the ring rotates as is free to enter the exhaust or intake ports - I got lucky one time with the ring breaking off in the exhaust and existing out the y-pipe - still needing new cylinder and piston, but case was ok !! Best of luck - PM if you like maybe can help.

martincc

Reaction score
got the engine apart, piston ring is completelty wore down, and there is some of the piston missing on the exaust side. Cylinder isnt in too bad of shape, but does have some scoring that can be felt with your finger. Any idea what would cause this? Figure I better replace the cylinders and pistons.. think its time to trade up now.. this crank issue has me worried.

On that note.. what should be in the crank case? Have what looks like a very thin oil.. does the 2 stroke oil mix in there? I'm worried with the hoel in the piston that it may have been dumping fuel or oil in there when it was running on one cylinder.

Top Bottom