07 SUMMIT 800... no spark!....

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just tried to fire up the sled today and got nothing!. have fresh fuel, and plugs are getting some, but when checked I got no spark from them. any ideas on where to start looking? started it with no problems in September. any and all suggestions are appreciated- thanks!!

sledaholics

Reaction score
I have to same problem First i would check all your fuses, wire conections, make sure your killswitch isnt shorted out u can do this by just unplugging it on your handlebars. Next if it still wont spark i would check your stator voltage im not quite sure how much voltage you are suppossed to get. Thats as far as i got still looking for the problem on mine.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuses good (are there more than two?), kill switch good (disconnected wiring harnesses at handlebar and still no spark), wiring all looks good. don't know how to check stator ( pictures would be great if anybody has some), I was wondering if headlight should come on a little when pulling cord?

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh!!, so i think I've found the problem and I'll post a pic just to get some feedback. Is the 'stator' inside this housing?, could the recoil itself be ok as it's functioning fine at the moment?, any guesses as to what my parts cost might be?, and finally...there's not a lot of room in there so is this something I can do myself or should I just 'bite-the-bullet' and take it in to the pro's(labour cost estimates?)
recoil housing20111123-00083.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a snap ring that holds the shaft of the recoil. If its in the mags it might cancel the signal in the pickups

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a snap ring that holds the shaft of the recoil. If its in the mags it might cancel the signal in the pickups

but the only way to get to it is by taking that cover off right?....now, this is a bit embarassing, but that 'crack' in the picture is actually just a crack in the reflective tape on the cover itself-not my proudest moment! (perhaps I may not have looked as closely as I should have). so I'm back to trying to find the electrical issue...which may end up being as you suggest or something within that same area anyway. I've tracked the wires visually but don't have a voltmeter to test specific wires so I might be at the end of my 'electrical assessment' career. I appreciate your suggestions but I might have to take it in as it would appear that if I proceed without adequate knowledge or tools, I'm gonna get into more trouble.....maybe a rum would help! thanks again.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I had drained fuel and fogged it at the end of last season then started it in Sept to move it with no issues but when I tried again this week- no start, no spark. you have a thought brewing about something I should've done first?

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
perhaps your kill switch is shorted

try to unplug your handle bar harnesses and give it another pull

I've tried that but still no spark. It just seems so weird that in the span of two months it would go from starting and running like a dream...to nothing at all. just hate to have to take her in and pay good money because I forgot to do something simple. Thanks for the ideas though, i'll likely try all of the ideas a few more times "just in case"!! before I throw in the towel.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i'm still no further ahead but I'm wondering about something I read in another post about a short in the left side handlebar wiriing. my reverse button has been broken off for a couple years and aside from having to use your fingertip, it still worked fine. would that be an area that would have shorted out to cause no spark?

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the relay above the clutches. Nielsy is a Doo tech extrodanaire. If the dealer doesn't have one try a NAPA store. Good Luck!

Thanks, is this the item in question?
RELAY-20111129-00089.jpg

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the key or safety tether which ever you would like to call it go on my 07. If you have a spare you may want to try it. Mine was working fine shut sled off went to start it again and no go. Pulled it off the mountain when we got back to the truck my spare key was there put it on and fired right up.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the key or safety tether which ever you would like to call it go on my 07. If you have a spare you may want to try it. Mine was working fine shut sled off went to start it again and no go. Pulled it off the mountain when we got back to the truck my spare key was there put it on and fired right up.

I don't have a spare key but I thought the sleds are supposed to start even without a key, but just wouldn't be able to rev up at all. thanks for all the suggestions though, I have tried all of them but still no go:(.
I dropped it off at the dealers today and I'll just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a major ticket deal!!
thanks again to all of you:beer:-cheers!
P.S- I did try a new relay but again, it didn't make a difference:sadbanana:

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No key on nothing happens. If u have a buddy with a dess key to put on it will start-run but won't rev up high enough to engauge the clutch

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a spare key but I thought the sleds are supposed to start even without a key, but just wouldn't be able to rev up at all. thanks for all the suggestions though, I have tried all of them but still no go:(.
I dropped it off at the dealers today and I'll just hope that it doesn't turn out to be a major ticket deal!!
thanks again to all of you:beer:-cheers!
P.S- I did try a new relay but again, it didn't make a difference:sadbanana:
Wont start without tether but will start with the wrong one.

Top Bottom