03 Summit ZX disc removal

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it seems the old steed has some excessive play in the disc brake. I've checked the manual and it says to remove the secondary clutch then the bearing and then the jack shaft to get it out. Is this the easiest way to do this?

thanks, Barnes

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your disc floats on the shaft so there should be some movement between shaft & disc and check your chain tension in chain case that some times can be an issue too

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soft keystock is worn - common on the older doo's. I used to replace mine every season as preventative maintenance (I was using aluminum jackshafts, kinda pricy compared to a $3 chunk of keystock).

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your disc floats on the shaft so there should be some movement between shaft & disc and check your chain tension in chain case that some times can be an issue too

ya, the disc is moving about 2-3 inchs back and forth. Seems excessive to me.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the way the manual tells you to do it the easiest? or am i better pulling the gears and chain case?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what the manual says. But is it easier to pull the bearing behind the secondary? OR pull both gears and the chain, then the chaincase and pull the disc off the shaft?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull the bearing behind secondary or you will be messing with the drive shaft / track / suspendtion / alot more work :)

Top Bottom