2012 Summit X - what track length?

keepitrealeh

Reaction score
Ive made the decision to buy a 2012 Summit X...now I just cant decide between track lengths. Ive ridden sleds in all three lengths, but never in the same day on the same trail/terrain so Ive found it tough to really compare and see what suits me best. Ive noticed the 163 is great for bumpy trails but i really enjoyed the 146 for tight tree-lined trails and the ability to toss it around more.

Ive heard different opinions on whats better...Ive heard longer track is better for hill climbing and ripping around in deep snow and then I also hear that 146 is better for that....very confusing.

so....what say you?

thanks in advance.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say 154 your all round track great for powder hill and trees. best of both worlds but thats just me. But I do think a 163 could be a lot of fun also.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a 163 for trails and a 146 for tight trees. Your trees, snow, and trails must be a lot different than ours out here.

I would say 146 for Trails.... maybe. and a 163 for tight trees.

keepitrealeh

Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far...

I ride mainly mountain terrain and trails. tight tree-lined trails are maybe 10-15% of the time...the rest of the time its mountain logging roads to get to higher altitudes to play in the bowls and open areas in the deep snow...sometimes that's above the tree line so its mainly deep snow and steeper hills...other times we ride around in large meadows with trees around but usually not tight trees so usually don't have to weave in and out. For those who know the area, I ride a lot in the Pemberton/Whistler area.

thanks.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
This is my fourth season on a 154. I have never seen a place I couldn't go that the 163s' went. I'm thinking od a 146 next time for the reasons you stated.......fun and flickability. Sure when the big snow comes (if it comes) I might have to wait for a track or take a second run but who cares, at least it isn't as hard to dig out. I spend more time on the banks on the sides of the road and drifts,canyons etc. Let the big boys climb the basins.(usually the big money likes to do that)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how big are you,, height and weight??

Im shorter 5'8" and lighter 155lb so I like my 146 because I like tight lines lil jumping and the 146 will actually skip over the whoops on the trail at about 65km/h they go away until the 4 footers lol,,

if your smaller guy go 146 or 154 but hey if your tall take all the machine ya can get...

or get 2:d

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'9'' 165lbs and have only ridden 163! imo if u ride a 153 and get in deep snow and need more track its not there where as the 163 always has track and float and is always there when u need it 163 all the way! you wont be dissappointed

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just spent the weekend in revy with a 2011 summit x 146 and had the time of my life. There were a few times i wish i had more track, but not many. Since the new track is a 2.5" i would say go with either a 146 or 154.

im 190 pounds 5 10

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ride a 159 right now, so i think i'm gonna get a 163 doo for 2012!

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what your looking for.
On the trail the 146 will be nice and quick! Only other real reason ive seen people go to the 146 is for jumping.
The 163 is a beast but is made for the super deep snow and climbing.
I ride a 154 and love it! Best of both worlds! Can still manage to send it good when I feel like flying, works fine on the trail, and hasnt had any trouble climbing anywhere the 163 goes! Climbing, once you slow down the 163 will pull ahead longer, but thats why you gotta keep er to the bar! Carry your speed and you will be all over the 163s, they loose a bit of track speed with the extra length :d
In the trees it doesnt seem to matter what you ride just how you ride it! Well...unless its a yammy...:d
Hope this helps! Just my :twocents:

Rkwhite

Reaction score
Buy a 163, ride for a season, then try something smaller......
you will be very happy with your purchase and never want to go shorter!:)
Riding whistler / pemberton or the Coq.....163 is justified!
No matter what anyone tells you, bigger works better it just takes a little more effort.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with a guy last weekend who has a new 154 and was given the same advise that you are getting. Where do you do most of your riding? We ride in revy all the time and with the snow conditions this year he was wishing he had a 163 and he was talked into a 154. I ride a 163 and have never looked back and its all in the trees.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a 146 for 2 seasons and was very pro 146 and pretty sure i posted on here saying the 146 was the way to go on some past threads. We have pretty deep snow up here and I could go anywhere any of the longer track sleds went with no problems and was nice for tight areas, trees jumps etc.

So this year i switched sleds to a 163 with a bb and i must say i would never ride a shorter track. I can turn a nut every bit as tight as the 146 and even better as it seems to hold an edge better whereas the 146 would slide out on occasion. The 163 will out perform in deep snow and climbing and in my opinion just as good everywhere else. It's also a bit more forgiving if you screw up in deep snow and need to get going from a slow speed or dead stop.

They are all good though. :beer:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just noticed where you are riding...you get the same big dumps we get...you won't regret the 163 when the snow is 4' nipple deep.

Brentk

Reaction score
try thinking about it this way. Why wouldn't you want a 163? The top pros only get shorter sleds for launching large cliffs and hitting jumps. the 163 is superior for mountain riding in pretty much every aspect, accept for that area. The skids can bend easier if you are launching big air.
I have had both a 154 and 163...i'll never go back to a 154 unless I get better at huge air. by the way, the 163 does work better in tight trees...it's like cheating. my friends that ride 154's all say it will be too big and hard to ride until they try it, now they all want a 163.

Top Bottom