XP Summit deep powder bog

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is what a friend and I did to try to resolve the intake blockage issue in deep pow. when leaning the sled hard to the intake side, my sled would bog down to 7800-7900 rpm's when snow would stick to the intake screen. my friend found belt strings in his airbox from the unfiltered bypass valve meant to open when the intake clogs. hopefully this will alleviate any more problems, and it was cheap too. the most expensive part was the SLP pre-filter material, $55 for an 18"x18" piece enough to do 10 sleds....

we pulled out the guage module and found there was a bit of space between the headlight housings and a clear path to the top of the airbox, so we took the light/guage console off to have a boo. we then took out the airbox and drilled 2 holes, one behind the other with a hole saw right over 2 moulding posts on the top (they are gone now). the airbox is made from thick plastic, about 3/16", then we threaded the holes to accept 2 male to male threaded plastic nipples. we siliconed the threads and screwed them in until they bottomed out on the "nut" and then put a bead of silicone around the installed nipple, leaving the top threads exposed.
pictures3600Small.jpg

pictures3601Small.jpg

next step was to make 2 holes in the top of the console just behind the windshield, large enough to fit a rubber grommet used for 2" clearance lights in automotive applications.
pictures3604Small.jpg

we then used a plastic female to female threaded pipe fitting cut in half, with a threaded hose nipple screwed into the end to accept a plastic 1-1/4" hose. from the underside of the console, we pushed the female fitting up into the installed grommet with a piece of the SLP material on top of it until it was flush with the top of the grommet.
pictures3618Small.jpg

pictures3623Small.jpg

we then mounted the 1-1/4" plastic pipe to the nipples on the airbox, leaving a lot of length to be trimmed off later.
pictures3616Small.jpg

pictures3617Small.jpg

then the airbox was reinstalled in the sled, and the console fitted loosely over top to determine the correct length for the hoses to attach to the nipples on the underside. once we cut the hoses and attached them, we routed the hoses in between the headlights and bolted it back together.
pictures3625Small.jpg

slapped the guage pod back in, put everything together and it looks pretty good (for a couple of rednecks). the air will flow into the box before all the sensors, so there should be no grief with the DPM. heard from a few guys that had put flow rites in the back of the airbox were feeling a lack of throttle response, maybe due to the air coming in not flowing past the upper sensor in the airbox.
pictures3606Small.jpg

pictures3613Small.jpg

other than the SLP filter screen, it was under $20 bucks to do 2 sleds. rode Hasler yesterday in 3 plus feet of fresh snow and didn't bog down at all, but it was very cold and the snow was quite fine. hoping to try it out once it warms up a bit and the snow is a bit more set up and restrictive.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took a couple short vids yesterday, in the first one after a couple turns I flopped it over too much on the intake side and got stuck. you can hear the sled still rev out even with the intake stuffed in the snow.

I posted this all on dootalk as well, thought I would share with my fellow Albertans that aren't on there.

GRD

Reaction score
Nice finishing job... Looks like it came that way!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats thinking outside the box. Great snow...where was that taken?
West of Chetwynd in the Hasler riding area, we went there to test out the vents. it was -32 in the parking lot at km 45, 4 of us unloaded and headed in. there were 3 XP's and an '02 800 Cat, the kitty started freezing up bad and one of the XP guys had problems with goggles and glasses fogging up so they headed back to the truck after about 20K. my friend and I headed in past the warmup shack a few more km's to a nice meadow we had been into before, there was 3 feet of fresh on the flats and around 5 feet closer to the trees. we never bothered heading up to the alpine, the wind was bad enough down below. we rode around in the meadow for a half hour trying to get my sled to bog, the only grief was that the snow was so fine it was getting into the carbs and freezing up. turned on the carb heaters and headed back to the truck. just too damn cold to ride.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice work on the intake teeroy, some great input.
thanks, it was cheap to do and seems to work so far. I'll give more updates when I can get out again, hopefully in warmer temps.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should get that idea patent so other shops cant steal it and you can sell the patent rights to them :)
I did the mail thing, just in case someone else tries to get rich off it. but I posted it so fellow xp owners have a cheaper option than having to buy an expensive kit to fix the problem. these sleds are pricey enough, if anyone wants to copy it for their own use they are welcome to it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanx Ruck......is there any other way? lol....once you get these things set up right, they make you look good.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I am having similar issues on my 2007 800r REV
when I turn left in the supper deep it bogs out and im stuck
Im sure the air box is different on the XPs?
do you want to help fix mine:D
I dont like wrench n or should I say I dont have the time or patients that it takes... but I do like DOO n
any ideas
thx

doublek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where's the best place to buy the SLP pre-filter material. I have a couple little rips, and would like to replace some of my vents.

Top Bottom