XP top gears 20T

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 146" XP came with 23/45. 154" had 21/45, 163" had 21/49.

I'm running 19/45 on my 146" with a 2.5" camo extreme, tried 21t, 20t, and the 19t works the best for me. need the 102 link chain though, too much slack in the stock 104 link.

strange the 2009 146 came with 21/45. same as the 154

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
strange the 2009 146 came with 21/45. same as the 154
yup. after they (we :rolleyes:) figured out their gearing was out to lunch in '08, they changed 'em to a 21 in '09. 'doo swapped out the 23t for a 21t on the '08 146" under warranty with the driveshaft update.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup. after they (we :rolleyes:) figured out their gearing was out to lunch in '08, they changed 'em to a 21 in '09. 'doo swapped out the 23t for a 21t on the '08 146" under warranty with the driveshaft update.

YA TEE !!!
great info from all... I just grabbed a 08 X 146 pretty stoked to ride, gears were changed out by the dealer and cluthched by Linderman,, I am also a lightweight so I am going to leave the 21 in and see how she go's

hey TEE r u riding castlegar this feb?

takethebounce,, where u ride mostly my fellow calgarian??? look out quartz first week of nov every year.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YA TEE !!!
great info from all... I just grabbed a 08 X 146 pretty stoked to ride, gears were changed out by the dealer and cluthched by Linderman,, I am also a lightweight so I am going to leave the 21 in and see how she go's

hey TEE r u riding castlegar this feb?

takethebounce,, where u ride mostly my fellow calgarian??? look out quartz first week of nov every year.
right on JT....you'll have a blast on the XP!

what dates in Feb for castlegar?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt there will be much riding the first few weeks of Nov this year in Golden unless the weather changes...

Riding is split between Golden (Quartz/Silent), Sicamous, Revy and Castlegar/Nelson (Norns, Grizzly, SnoWater) as well.

If you have $800 to spare get a 146x16x2.5 for that sled!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you have $800 to spare get a 146x16x2.5 for that sled!

I concur....it made a HUGE difference in powder climbing performance. the ports are way too big on the stock swiss cheese powdermax

damn it... I have heard this a few times,, it has a lot of holes lol....

so Im guesing to sell the stock track is not worth much....???

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
damn it... I have heard this a few times,, it has a lot of holes lol....

so Im guesing to sell the stock track is not worth much....???
over $1000 if you ask the dealership...lol

you should be able to get 4-500 all day if it's in good shape JT. when I was lookin for one they were around there for a take-off.

the 2.86 pitch, 146" x 2.5" x 16"w Challenger Extreme is part no. 9144 from Curtis. the lugs on the 2.86p start a half inch inside the outer edge of the track, the 3.0p lugs start all the way from the outside.

I did the 2.86 on mine, heard of guys running the 3.0 on 2.86 drivers with no problems....
pics338Medium.jpg

drop the hammer

Reaction score
although the subject of thetrack ports is a whole can of worms, how floatation or traction is affected doesn't really matter as it can be argued either way....it comes down to durability. the holes are terrible for shredding tracks (some guys don't have any issues), but ask at the rental shops and all of them had issues with most of their ported stock doo tracks in the mtns.

The increase in deep snow performance will be from the 2.5 paddle versus the 2.3 and the lower rolling resistance of the new track also helps. Try unloading your sled off a deck of a truck with the stock track (properly adjusted tension), you pretty much push it down to get it down the ramp....switch the track to the new one listed above and try again, it'll slide right down the ramp....rolling resistance is that much different.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that gearing down will put your belt higher in the primary at a given load. Thus your arms will be further from center and at the same pin weight will be pushing harder on the belt....which is the same effect as adding some pin weight....so in most cases this can be good as your clutches can run more efficient at a 1:1 ratio (if in fact the new gearing gets you closer to this at your hill climbing speed on a given day), however, pin weight must be modified or you'll increase engine load and not pull as high a max rpm anymore (remember the arms are acting heavier now and pushing more since they are further from center and can exert more force). So it is almost the reverse an effect as what you would think...most guys think it will lower the load on the engine when gearing down.

Also there's the issue of chaincase efficiency and that drops off with a small top gear and large dog legs, never mind the durability issue of a chain making a tight radius turn. If you are going to gear down, use larger bottom gears and a new chain with minimal dog leg and then adjust pin weight as needed (lighten it up). But then again that gets pricey to change....so just clutch it correctly and ride it. :)

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Sorry guys the beer has fully kicked in....also to add that gearing down usually feels better for mtn use since the belt is travelling further along the clutch face from your engagement to full speeed climb. So you are using more of the clutch range for what god intended the sled to be used for. But that's after the weight is adjusted and the sled is tuned for the changed load, don';t just gear it down and expect an improvement, it might feel better but a side by side with another unchanged test sled will show true results.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
although the subject of thetrack ports is a whole can of worms, how floatation or traction is affected doesn't really matter as it can be argued either way....it comes down to durability. the holes are terrible for shredding tracks (some guys don't have any issues), but ask at the rental shops and all of them had issues with most of their ported stock doo tracks in the mtns.

The increase in deep snow performance will be from the 2.5 paddle versus the 2.3 and the lower rolling resistance of the new track also helps. Try unloading your sled off a deck of a truck with the stock track (properly adjusted tension), you pretty much push it down to get it down the ramp....switch the track to the new one listed above and try again, it'll slide right down the ramp....rolling resistance is that much different.
mine tore at 1100 miles, but I wasn't easy on it by any means. but that said I never rode over anything I wouldn't have with my other non-ported tracks.

pics066Medium.jpg

you are correct on the rolling resistance, with the ported track I could roll my sled back and forth on the snow by using one hand on the bumper. can't do it with the non ported. but the difference in powder performance is huge....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha i remember that day in valemount " anyone have a 146 track in vmont?" LOL
ugh....I was choked. the weather was gorgeous, fresh spring snow, good bunch of guys to hang and bang with....I would have bought a brand new one if I coulda found one....lol. had all the tools to do the job, we had our "emergency drive shaft replacement kit" on hand. ended up renting an '09 154" from Alpine and gave that rig the beating of it's life. forgot how much fun rentals are.....:d

just did one little mod to the rental, was good for at least 10hp....

pics021Large.jpg

man, they go over them things with a fine tooth comb when you bring 'em back. I thought they were gonna b!tch about the decal....:d

pics076Large.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya well marc gets alot of " i have no idea how that tunnel got bent" at the shop LOL

ill have to keep some 154/146 ported tracks onhand at a significantly higher cost on hand this season LOL

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya well marc gets alot of " i have no idea how that tunnel got bent" at the shop LOL
hahahaha.....I'll bet he does. I hung off the side of that sled a few times to save meself a few bones. amazing how a guy can dangle when he's scared.

the year before that, a buddy's ZX summit went down and he rented an XP from alpine, he drove it out of their shop, and then right off the side of the sled deck onto the pavement. that cost a few bucks....lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ill have to keep some 154/146 ported tracks onhand at a significantly higher cost on hand this season LOL
lol...you might sell one, there are five 146" summits in our group....pm me your digits :d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just buy my 16 track right now cheap!

damn thread hijackers........... :d

I think we need to get dropthehammer to type when he is sobber....

Top Bottom