Work Commute

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Myself I don't understand having a good newer vehicle then buying a 2nd vehicle to save on gas. Buy the time you buy one say $2500-5000 with a ton of KM on it, insurance, maintenance cause it will probably soon need tires, battery, alternator all those nickel a dime stuff all to say what $50 a week on gas it would takes years to recover the costs of the second vehicle.

On kinda a unrelated note a guy I work with who is kinda a greenie bought a 04 civic brand new he travels from Fort sask to Sherwood Park everyday for work it nows has 170,000Km on it. He keeps in a spread sheet every receipt and EVERY fuel up he has ever done along with the gas milage beside it. This spring he just crossed over putting in $10,000 worth of gas in it. When he bought it he wanted a hybrid but it was $10,000 more than the civic SI so he needed to save $10,000 in fuel in the life of the car to make it worth while well proved it couldn't be done. 1 of my customers has a Prius he hates it you only save money stopped at a red light cause the gas engine shuts down. It never runs on electricity whenever the heat is on the gas engine runs to produce heat and the engine runs for the air conditioning his wife's corolla gets better mileage. So trying to save some bucks doesn't always work.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
WRX isn't gonna be a gas miser... I drive an SVX as my daily commuter, I get 500km to a 55L tank the WRX will be a bit better based on weight but between the HP and the AWD it's tough to make it compete with the little 4-bangers gas wise.... BUT the AWD is awesome in the winter. not sure what they are putting in the WRX's but my SVX has a 3.0L boxer 6... love the car but the mileage leaves something to be desired.

Murm... I could never justify a new car... $30000+ (more like $50k for one I'd be happy with) then I commute 130Km daily throw in site visits around the province and weekend running around and I rack up 60k-ish km a year...so my new $50K in 5 years would have 300K km and be worth nothing....

I buy an older low milage fun-ish car every 2-3 years.. my BMW was bought with 160K km for $4500, I drove it for almost 3 years then sold it with almost 300km for $1800 cost me about $1200 yr + $1000 maintenance. much better than a $50K car over 5 years + maintenance.

My SVX was bought in the fall with 116k km, to date I've put $500 maintenance and it currently sits at 155Km. I knew buying the SVX I was going to sacrifice fuel economy compared to the BMW but driving the SVX daily makes up for it... I will keep it until 250-300Km then sell it off to some kid for whatever I can get and do it all over...

I have a 600 km round trip ( week on week off not every day ) And I drive my diesel, its good on fuel about a tank for the round trip but the cost of maintenece is way up there and if you have any issues it could be expensive! Thank god for warranty cause Last year alone would have been well over 10 000 in just repairs. I am also looking into a comuter car tho but would like to get a bit of a fun car too so its not so lame LOL. The subaru wrx are getting cheaper around 7500 to 12 000 for the mid 2000's year.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want a car that gets excellent milage for a little commuter, my parents just bought a smart car. 55mpg and it costs $14 to fill the darn thing. Not much room but my mom loves it.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WRX isn't gonna be a gas miser... I drive an SVX as my daily commuter, I get 500km to a 55L tank the WRX will be a bit better based on weight but between the HP and the AWD it's tough to make it compete with the little 4-bangers gas wise.... BUT the AWD is awesome in the winter. not sure what they are putting in the WRX's but my SVX has a 3.0L boxer 6... love the car but the mileage leaves something to be desired.

Murm... I could never justify a new car... $30000+ (more like $50k for one I'd be happy with) then I commute 130Km daily throw in site visits around the province and weekend running around and I rack up 60k-ish km a year...so my new $50K in 5 years would have 300K km and be worth nothing....

I buy an older low milage fun-ish car every 2-3 years.. my BMW was bought with 160K km for $4500, I drove it for almost 3 years then sold it with almost 300km for $1800 cost me about $1200 yr + $1000 maintenance. much better than a $50K car over 5 years + maintenance.

My SVX was bought in the fall with 116k km, to date I've put $500 maintenance and it currently sits at 155Km. I knew buying the SVX I was going to sacrifice fuel economy compared to the BMW but driving the SVX daily makes up for it... I will keep it until 250-300Km then sell it off to some kid for whatever I can get and do it all over...

Well my thoughts behind the WRX are to have a fun fast car that is better than my truck on fuel and I won't mind driving it to town plus save a lil on gas but mostly the maintenece on the diesel. I put about 50 k on a year aswell so that gets pricey with the diesel and when you start replacing ball joints, hubs, and stuff like that to me its worth the extra cost.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Well my thoughts behind the WRX are to have a fun fast car that is better than my truck on fuel and I won't mind driving it to town plus save a lil on gas but mostly the maintenece on the diesel. I put about 50 k on a year aswell so that gets pricey with the diesel and when you start replacing ball joints, hubs, and stuff like that to me its worth the extra cost.

I hear ya... I run a 1994 chevy 2500 diesel for towing etc...

then I run the SVX for my fun everyday car...WRX STI would be awesome for a fun runner... my next will be a e46 BMW M3, a nice low mile one can be had in the US for around $15K

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VW diesel hands down. We just bought our 4th one. Just parked the 1992 Jetta at 430,000 km only because it developed a really bad oil leak. No dust in my driveway anymore! Still runs great, and if i hadn't found a good deal on a 2002 with low kms I probably would have fixed it and kept driving it. A deer wrecked the wifes 1990 jetta last year at over 400,000 km. It got replaced with a 2000. All of them have been easily over 50 mpg and low maintenance. The 2 older ones with mechanical injection were definately cheaper for maintenance costs, but the new ones really aren't bad either. After 4 of them I'm obviously a fan. :)

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI and I love that thing. I put on between 400 and 500 km a week driving the kids all over. I don't know what my mileage is but I can go between 750 and 800 kms before I fill and this is all city driving.

I will say that our local VW dealer sucks and I have had several issues trying to get minor warranty issues fixed. I would buy another one in a heart beat just from a different dealer.

Jan

Top Bottom