Looking for suggestions on a winter beater/commuter

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to drive 75km each way daily for 5 years. Honda Civic, chev colbalt, Ford Focus all great choices. Winter studded tires on anyone of those will do way better than any vehicle with 4x4 and half fu*k mud tires. I’m currently rocking a Honda Crosstour. V6 awd, if i drive under 110 it faithfully does under 9l per hundred and of course I have winter studded and summer tires for it.

Side story. it was winter of 2015 we had one hell of a snow storm. I had probably 1.5 ft of snow on top a ice driveway by the trees so it fell nice. I was working nights and when I got to the driveway I noticed the snow was deep. Figured I don’t want to deal with the snow fall untill I got some sleep. I kept ramming that snow that was sheltered by the trees and was gaining distance. I made it about 3/4 of the way to the house. When the car finally could not go fwd anymore the snow was on top the hood and the Honda H was imprinted in the snow.

Don’t be scared to get a front wheel drive car but spend the money to get proper tires for the commuter. U will find u will use it way more than just going to work. Easy to park and zero fs given what happens to it.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, Found a used 2001 Toyota RAV4 high km but looks good shape, anybody know of these are reliable? I know Honda and Toyota seem to be both very reliable

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not sure what you mean by beater
Some think $1000 other $10000
So that will make a difference.
As for a vehicle for hunting and Scouting
One that has a high low range will not get great gas mileage, and the cheaper ones are probably beat up good.
You could use your truck for hunting and get a front wheel drive with good tires to commute.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, Found a used 2001 Toyota RAV4 high km but looks good shape, anybody know of these are reliable? I know Honda and Toyota seem to be both very reliable
Rav-4 is an excellent commuter vehicle. I've never owned one but know others that have and have nothing but praise. I'd still put studded tires even with 4x4 or AWD. I just picked up studded hakkapilitas for my tundra, it's 4x4 and will go anywhere but the studs are awesome for stopping and steering.

\i used to use my subaru svx to run our 400m driveway before I plowed with the quad.... it would remove most of the snow (4"ground clearance) and even with it coming up over the hood would power thru then it was easy peasy with the foreman and plow.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I run a commuter vehicle to keep the KM off my real vehicles. My daily commute is 110km total run an old 02 pathfinder for this vehicle essentially cannot depreciate anymore I don’t put fire or theft on it just liability. For me it’s 20,000km I keep off my truck same way your thinking. If pathfinder ever craters I would have a hard time not buying Honda or Toyota car or SUV.

Top Bottom