Work Commute

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
~180 km round trip to work... The dilemma: Buy chitbox commuter car and gas job truck? Or..... Fork out some cash and get a diesel for a compromise. Any opinions and recommendations are welcome!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
~180 km round trip to work... The dilemma: Buy chitbox commuter car and gas job truck? Or..... Fork out some cash and get a diesel for a compromise. Any opinions and recommendations are welcome!

Diesel Volkswagen. Nuff said.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel Volkswagen. Nuff said.

I don't mean to totally shut down your feedback, but I've heard they have big problems with the dirty fuel up here. i.e. Injectors often, as well as fuel filters and pumps more often. Not sure about that one.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to totally shut down your feedback, but I've heard they have big problems with the dirty fuel up here. i.e. Injectors often, as well as fuel filters and pumps more often. Not sure about that one.

Why would fuel in Hilliard be any different ? It's all made in the same places.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

we had the same issue about 120km rounder, we went and bought a used gas jobber jetta for me to drive just a beater, aprox 35mpg way better than the truck was, and then sold the wifes minivan and bought her a 2010 focus ses, she is getting 45+mpg with that thing crazy, actually a decent little car. 18000km on it when we bought loaded to the top for 14500. excellant bang for the buck.

as for the why would hilliard fuel be worse than other places when all made in the same place well the manufacturing isnt the issue it is the storage that kills the fuel, dirt/water in the storage tanks, not changing the filter on the pumps often enough etc.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
110 km round trip..45 min one way..usually..fuggin trucks on the yellowhead!all ya stay in the same dam lane!!!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
With my stop at the Tims right around the corner from my house it totals 4 km. There is days it can take 1/2 hour with some of the drivers. 50th street gets backed up fast. I prefer leaving at 6 am I'm through the tims drive-thru and at work in less than 10 minutes.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With my stop at the Tims right around the corner from my house it totals 4 km. There is days it can take 1/2 hour with some of the drivers. 50th street gets backed up fast. I prefer leaving at 6 am I'm through the tims drive-thru and at work in less than 10 minutes.

we need a f/u emotion button or smilie. lol j/k:d

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Gas Volkswagen. :d

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An old 5.4 late 90s f150. Worst mileage ever.

But actualy if you need a truck want mileage, buy a 90s GM 6.5 diesel. Good mileage. Doesn't need ultra low sulphur (in the 94 model aat least.) Cause they were made before the ffuel.

Sent from my killer Nexus S.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An old 5.4 late 90s f150. Worst mileage ever.

But actualy if you need a truck want mileage, buy a 90s GM 6.5 diesel. Good mileage. Doesn't need ultra low sulphur (in the 94 model aat least.) Cause they were made before the ffuel.

Sent from my killer Nexus S.

Better yet, a 89-93 dodge cummins. 26mpg.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife drives a gas 2008 Beetle; 32mpg on a good day, going downhill with a tailwind.....not the best mileage out there!

I was thinking OLD Volkswagen. I have an 89 scirocco, and it gets 35 all the time with the 1.8l 8 valve.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VW jetta 2.5 gas. my wifes car averages 35 and she has a 50km round trip commute. Its an 08 with 115,000 km and still feels as solid as the day she bought it. I was never a VW fan untill she got this car.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
VW jetta 2.5 gas. my wifes car averages 35 and she has a 50km round trip commute. Its an 08 with 115,000 km and still feels as solid as the day she bought it. I was never a VW fan untill she got this car.

This is the second "new" Beetle my wife has had. The first one was just falling apart after 150,000 and we'll see about this one!

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 600 km round trip ( week on week off not every day ) And I drive my diesel, its good on fuel about a tank for the round trip but the cost of maintenece is way up there and if you have any issues it could be expensive! Thank god for warranty cause Last year alone would have been well over 10 000 in just repairs. I am also looking into a comuter car tho but would like to get a bit of a fun car too so its not so lame LOL. The subaru wrx are getting cheaper around 7500 to 12 000 for the mid 2000's year.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas Volkswagen. :d

I bought myself a 2011 Jetta 2.5L Auto. Excellent on the Highway 45MPG+ at120kmh.

A mix of city and Highway not so good 32MPG on average.

Mind you these are imperial MPG!

In my mind the car will pay for its self Compared to what my truck was costing me, Im saving 300 a month in fuel and my payment is 375.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought myself a 2011 Jetta 2.5L Auto. Excellent on the Highway 45MPG+ at120kmh.

A mix of city and Highway not so good 32MPG on average.

Mind you these are imperial MPG!

In my mind the car will pay for its self Compared to what my truck was costing me, Im saving 300 a month in fuel and my payment is 375.

So you're the one thats always smokin by me on Hwy2! :d :beer:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
GF has a 2004 GTI, when she drives she can get 650-700 k on a tank.....I how ever like the whistle of the turbo too much and get closer to 550....but I have driven a lot of smaller fun cars and that GTI is by far my favorite

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Top Bottom