Who should you support

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow... i think that this thread started out encouraging people/business to support a good cause, as usual a bit of poking here and there, agressive opinions, some things are stated based on what everyone "knows or perceives" about what everyone should do with there money and what/who to support... i would like to know what model of sled the guy figures a dealer is making 1500.00 on in one shot..lol after 20 yrs still hasnt happend for me.... if every one would pay retail i could donate alot more to all the industries that i am involved in, as well as my commmunity, schools, fundraisers, stars ambulance, girl guides, etc.... the line of possible deserving donation recipients is never ending...i would love to be able to support and help everyone thats how i am. But we all know we can only do what we can do.... and thats usually what we do. I donate support to several clubs, causes and individuals, fundraisers, raffles, rallies, silent auctions, etc. I just try to spread the funds around..as best as possible... Varda imo is a great cause as are many others, I have ridden in Valemount several times and have not yet, become a club member as i am one in my home town, nor have i donated to become a member - not because i dont think its worth while- but can a dealer or person seriously be expected to donate to every location where people ride, all cabins are nice to take advantage off as are groomed and maintained trails just like the 4 we have in my area and all the trails that i help maintain and look after, where is the cut off- Mc Bride sees more of my sled than others over the past few yrs, but i have also tried to spread the riding around to different areas that ll have cabins and trails to maintain. I dont think 250 is a huge amount of money to support a riding area... and i will probably seek a membership at the show... my point is this...where do you as a rider/user/supporter/dealer think the limit is... support what you can when you can. and be concerned about looking after the customers and supporting the industry as a whole, other wise how do you place all the groups on the table and give everyone what they want... i know... the next sled i sell that i am making 1500 on i will donate 500 to the purchasers area or club of choice.... mostly the consumer wants to payless me included, its difficult to add 5.00 for this n 100 for that,
perhaps, the monies we spend on registrations, should be giving back to the industries as well as matching grants for tourism....

enough of my 2 cents.... like Ken at MM i probably should not have posted but i too have an opinion.... a closing comment on the "amount of
money" or perceived money that is made on a new sled or atv....Look at MSRP and look at what you are paying.... after 20 yrs im still aways from retirement.... however if i made 1500 a unit..wow.... id be sledding somewhere right now...!

remember this is just an opinion not trying to spill any cornflakes or offend anyone... i respect you all...regardless of what u sell... ok post..:)

Terry

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know all the sled clubs are tight for cash but the point I was hoping to get across is it should be up to the sledder to support which ever community they ride in the most.When I first started going to the mountains we used to by a BCSF membership and we were good for the year,it seemed like a lot of cash at the time but we did it to support the sport.I'm not here to fight I just thought it was odd that a business should donate to a club or town that some of their customers spend a lot of time at.Not everyone rides at Valemount so if a business gets pressured into donating what about all the other clubs and trail systems!And for gods sake don't everyone jump on me for just making a point because I think you won't be able to please everyone on who you donate money to.Also does BC still have a club equivalent to ASA?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow... i think that this thread started out encouraging people/business to support a good cause, as usual a bit of poking here and there, agressive opinions, some things are stated based on what everyone "knows or perceives" about what everyone should do with there money and what/who to support... i would like to know what model of sled the guy figures a dealer is making 1500.00 on in one shot..lol after 20 yrs still hasnt happend for me.... if every one would pay retail i could donate alot more to all the industries that i am involved in, as well as my commmunity, schools, fundraisers, stars ambulance, girl guides, etc.... the line of possible deserving donation recipients is never ending...i would love to be able to support and help everyone thats how i am. But we all know we can only do what we can do.... and thats usually what we do. I donate support to several clubs, causes and individuals, fundraisers, raffles, rallies, silent auctions, etc. I just try to spread the funds around..as best as possible... Varda imo is a great cause as are many others, I have ridden in Valemount several times and have not yet, become a club member as i am one in my home town, nor have i donated to become a member - not because i dont think its worth while- but can a dealer or person seriously be expected to donate to every location where people ride, all cabins are nice to take advantage off as are groomed and maintained trails just like the 4 we have in my area and all the trails that i help maintain and look after, where is the cut off- Mc Bride sees more of my sled than others over the past few yrs, but i have also tried to spread the riding around to different areas that ll have cabins and trails to maintain. I dont think 250 is a huge amount of money to support a riding area... and i will probably seek a membership at the show... my point is this...where do you as a rider/user/supporter/dealer think the limit is... support what you can when you can. and be concerned about looking after the customers and supporting the industry as a whole, other wise how do you place all the groups on the table and give everyone what they want... i know... the next sled i sell that i am making 1500 on i will donate 500 to the purchasers area or club of choice.... mostly the consumer wants to payless me included, its difficult to add 5.00 for this n 100 for that,
perhaps, the monies we spend on registrations, should be giving back to the industries as well as matching grants for tourism....

enough of my 2 cents.... like Ken at MM i probably should not have posted but i too have an opinion.... a closing comment on the "amount of
money" or perceived money that is made on a new sled or atv....Look at MSRP and look at what you are paying.... after 20 yrs im still aways from retirement.... however if i made 1500 a unit..wow.... id be sledding somewhere right now...!

remember this is just an opinion not trying to spill any cornflakes or offend anyone... i respect you all...regardless of what u sell... ok post..:)

Terry

Not trying to argue with you, but the $1500 was just a number. I bet it is not far off when you factor the new sled purchase, accesories and first service.
I also notice that you are a supporting vendor and give s&m members 15% off. Good for you, supporting the website and and its members.Your support for this site probably helps sales for you. Its a win win situation for everybody, kinda like what this thread is about.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, maybe some sledders should ask there parts and sled sources in the states which clubs they support up here? too funny. And Terry, I hear you if you were able to make full pop on a unit you could donate more. Maybe next time on a grinder deal you should ask the purchaser if he pay an extra $50 or $100 bucks and you could donate it to the club of there choice and see what kind of response you'd get.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Terry

HaHa. Terry great post! If it makes you feel any better when I was a dealer back in 2005 we made $1500 profit on every Summit RT1000 we sold..................then we lost it all doing warranty work on those sows for the next 2 years. It was the only year in 25 we sold a type of sled at full pop. Dad still shakes his head and talks about that. Lol. Keep up the good work up there. It will pay off in the end.:):beer::beer:

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow this is crazy.....U suggesting TAXING sledders and splitting it to clubs.....Then we will need a board oh ya and a president well we also need board members, a building, expenses well lets raise taxes sh!!t this is sounding like the same guys I pay the rest of my taxes too

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow this is crazy.....U suggesting TAXING sledders and splitting it to clubs.....Then we will need a board oh ya and a president well we also need board members, a building, expenses well lets raise taxes sh!!t this is sounding like the same guys I pay the rest of my taxes too

Now Now there big guy...think you need to come to Blue for a sled trip...lol snow is now starting to fall on the mountains.....should be good in Dec....:D:D

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you right lex, I get a little reved this time of year..........waiting for snow sucks

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to "User Pay"??

You use it, you pay for it.

Whether it be camping, swimming, or sledding.....everbody has their reason's for why their specific area is more important that others.....

and everybody has their reason's on why money should go their way..... but it can't work that way.

If the costs of maintaining your trails are higher the fees collected......raise the fees.....don't demand the dealers subsidize your trail system because you bought a sled and some clothes....I think every dealer / business supports some groups / charities and being it it THERE business...it should be THERE choice!

Like T & T Terry said, there are many groups walking into his place of business with their hands out asking for a donation than most of us realize....and they are ALL good causes.....but to force/bully a dealer to donate to your cause is just wrong.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow this was a great bedtime story thanks guys! I am gonna say one thing and the people that know me knowi am pretty relaxed and easy going. But when I get harassed by an RCMP because I didnt park straight enough with the trailer and he gives me a ticket for backing up unsafe for a$150 when there was no other cars around me, that is why I haven't been back to valemont because I think there cops should remember who supports the town! I agree that some sledders r asses and ask for it but when I am nice to the cop and he power trips like he did that's enough for me!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow this was a great bedtime story thanks guys! I am gonna say one thing and the people that know me knowi am pretty relaxed and easy going. But when I get harassed by an RCMP because I didnt park straight enough with the trailer and he gives me a ticket for backing up unsafe for a$150 when there was no other cars around me, that is why I haven't been back to valemont because I think there cops should remember who supports the town! I agree that some sledders r asses and ask for it but when I am nice to the cop and he power trips like he did that's enough for me!

The RCMP is a national police force, they don't report to the village of Valemount

Just sayin

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every individual on this site just needs to ask themselves if they want to continue riding in the mountains of B.C. for years to come. If the answer is yes, then you better start directly supporting the various clubs and associations in BC that are continually fighting to keep riding areas open. Trail pass money grooms trails. Buying booze, fuel, meals, etc. definitely helps the communities. But, none of these things keep our riding areas open. Donations and membership fees to the various clubs and associations are what allow these dedicated people to continue fighting for our right to ride.

As I said above, the same also applies to all businesses that profit from sledders. If you want to continue to profit from sledders, then start showing financial support to the clubs that fight so your customers can continue to ride. If we lost a lot of riding areas, do you not think it would affect your customer base ?

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to "User Pay"??

You use it, you pay for it.

Whether it be camping, swimming, or sledding.....everbody has their reason's for why their specific area is more important that others.....

and everybody has their reason's on why money should go their way..... but it can't work that way.

If the costs of maintaining your trails are higher the fees collected......raise the fees.....don't demand the dealers subsidize your trail system because you bought a sled and some clothes....I think every dealer / business supports some groups / charities and being it it THERE business...it should be THERE choice!

Like T & T Terry said, there are many groups walking into his place of business with their hands out asking for a donation than most of us realize....and they are ALL good causes.....but to force/bully a dealer to donate to your cause is just wrong.
These good causes that you speak of ( ie cancer, heart and stroke fund etc) are different than a business that makes the majority of its profit from selling sleds , parts and accessories. No one is forcing them to donate. It seems that it would be good for business to keep areas open and more people will keep getting into the sport and this would equal more profit for the store.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every individual on this site just needs to ask themselves if they want to continue riding in the mountains of b.c. For years to come. If the answer is yes, then you better start directly supporting the various clubs and associations in bc that are continually fighting to keep riding areas open. Trail pass money grooms trails. Buying booze, fuel, meals, etc. Definitely helps the communities. But, none of these things keep our riding areas open. Donations and membership fees to the various clubs and associations are what allow these dedicated people to continue fighting for our right to ride.

As i said above, the same also applies to all businesses that profit from sledders. If you want to continue to profit from sledders, then start showing financial support to the clubs that fight so your customers can continue to ride. If we lost a lot of riding areas, do you not think it would affect your customer base ?

Sent from my ipad when i should be fishing.
well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should stay out of this although do feel the need to write as our name keeps getting brought up. As others have stated this will be my only post although please call me anytime should you want to chat.

Most of our supporters have sought us out or have been obtained through creating relashionships on the mountain or word of mouth from friends of friends. It is not fair or right to shed negative light on anyone and although it may come off negative, i believe these individuals only mean well, maybe the tactics could just be a little softer, but again it goes to show the passion that is held by the snowmobiler.

I truely hope/feel that the work clubs do for the snowmobile community/industry speaks for itself and that is how we have all begun to develope a list of supporters over the years. Year after year the list continues to grow slowly and it makes my heart warm to see these small (or large) businesses or individuals offer any form of support to local snowmobiling groups and appreciate the work that we/they do.

Yes VARDA is proud of our supporters and members and we may be a bit more public than most with the information although I truely hope this only goes to show the gratitude we feel towards these groups or individuals. That being said, we need to focus on the positive side of sponsorship/support and that is that it does happen and is growing within all clubs.

Life is too short, please lets focus on the positive, and that is that those who can support do! those who are able to volunteer do! And snowmobilers are an amazing group of people. I could go on for hours of the help the snowmobile community can and will provide when asked, and this website has been a portal to some amazing acts of human kindness.

Support your local clubs by joining as member, helping out when asked, attend the od meeting, ask questions and give someone a pat on the back sometime.

We are all in this in a variety of ways, but in the end it is to enjoy the snow with our friends and family and to ensure we have places to do this with our grandkids one day.

Ride safe.

Last edited:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No not at all I'm saying that the monies that are paid to the government for licence registrations, should go back to the industries, and the clubs as well the towns that get the business should be after their governments n tourism to support the industry. Specially when that's a major sour e of income for the communities, support where you ride however u see fit and however you can. I believe the clubs should have a fundraising activity or two during the season to attract attention to their needs, and let people know what they can doto help. As a snowmobiler I know we are not opposed to supporting the industry or the towns n clubs just be more informative, flyers In restaurants stating club info ride days and maybe opportunities for sponsors, then we can all plan it an maybe all help out a little more.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not at all I'm saying that the monies that are paid to the government for licence registrations, should go back to the industries, and the clubs as well the towns that get the business should be after their governments n tourism to support the industry. Specially when that's a major sour e of income for the communities, support where you ride however u see fit and however you can. I believe the clubs should have a fundraising activity or two during the season to attract attention to their needs, and let people know what they can doto help. As a snowmobiler I know we are not opposed to supporting the industry or the towns n clubs just be more informative, flyers In restaurants stating club info ride days and maybe opportunities for sponsors, then we can all plan it an maybe all help out a little more.
Just when you thought you were out they suck you back in!LOL!

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With all due respect I think you have posted in the wrong thread. The thread that did not originate as, but turned out to be a thread bashing Valemount Cop's is under the Valemount section of this forum.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right they do... up to a $500 max per club.... but like most programs the clubs normally have to beg their membership to fill out the form...

It would be nice to see the other 3 follow suit...

Polairs

Polaris/Victory Donate $154,125 to Wounded Warrior Project - Motorcycle.com News | Motorcycle.com News

Month-Long Polaris Goodwill Event Provides Jackets & Bibs for the Needy, Rewards Riders With Pure Polaris Discounts

Polaris Industries Donates $100,000 in All-Terrain Vehicles to Local Youth Camps | MaxSled.com Snowmobile Magazine

Yamaha

Yamaha

Arctic cat

SUPERTRAXMAG.COM - Home of Supertrax International - Snowmobiling's Most Read, Most Opinionated and Highest Circulation Magazine

SUPERTRAXMAG.COM - Home of Supertrax International - Snowmobiling's Most Read, Most Opinionated and Highest Circulation Magazine

That’s just a few I found in about 5mins on Google. They all give back some more than others but any amount of charity/donations are better than none at all IMO.

Boostmonkey.

Bogger,

If you meant it as in "It would be nice if the other 3 follow suit in having a program like BRP's specific to sledders and there local clubs" I also agree

http://www.brp.com/en-ca/company/news/brp-donate-1-million-canadian-snowmobile-clubs

Last edited:

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with supporting clubs and community's this thread was started just to open some peoples eyes in the fact that there are more riding areas than just valemount.
If you don't want to support a company because they don't support Varda that's your choice or if that kind of thing is importand to you ask them if they support any clubs.

Top Bottom