What’s a fair price on a new 2019 F350 Diesel?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's only looking at one part of the equation. I drive roughly 40K per year and get paid mileage by my employer (2/3rds of my mileage is work) I have next to nothing for maintenance costs involved if I only run that truck 1 year. The only thing I'm paying for out of pocket is a fuel filter change. GM covers the first 4 oil changes. If I keep it 6 years, I'm out of warranty halfway through year 2 on everything not powertrain and a year after that for powertrain. With the emissions junk on these things, I'm NOT keeping one that isn't on warranty. I'm not putting tires on it, I've got no chance of a big service bill if something craps out, etc. I've got equity in it and I'm not one of these people that are upside down in it. I make sure of that. I've ran older vehicles in the past and have been on both sides where it worked out and where I've gotten burned.

Using the numbers on the previous post you're quoting, I'm getting hit 15% for depreciation for 1 year. To me, that's pretty damn fair. Any less and there's no incentive for anyone to buy a 1 year old used truck from a dealer. As far as talking about cash deals, the cash programs are next to nothing on these vehicles and if you can finance at 1.99% like I am now, you're crazy not to.

Have you looked at just leasing? My dad use to just lease and get a new truck ever year or every 6 months even.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's only looking at one part of the equation. I drive roughly 40K per year and get paid mileage by my employer (2/3rds of my mileage is work) I have next to nothing for maintenance costs involved if I only run that truck 1 year. The only thing I'm paying for out of pocket is a fuel filter change. GM covers the first 4 oil changes. If I keep it 6 years, I'm out of warranty halfway through year 2 on everything not powertrain and a year after that for powertrain. With the emissions junk on these things, I'm NOT keeping one that isn't on warranty. I'm not putting tires on it, I've got no chance of a big service bill if something craps out, etc. I've got equity in it and I'm not one of these people that are upside down in it. I make sure of that. I've ran older vehicles in the past and have been on both sides where it worked out and where I've gotten burned.

Using the numbers on the previous post you're quoting, I'm getting hit 15% for depreciation for 1 year. To me, that's pretty damn fair. Any less and there's no incentive for anyone to buy a 1 year old used truck from a dealer. As far as talking about cash deals, the cash programs are next to nothing on these vehicles and if you can finance at 1.99% like I am now, you're crazy not to.

There's a huge difference between keeping for 6 years and 240k compared to 1 year and 40k. One thing I can assure you is buying a new one every year will cost you a chitton of extra money. Even halfway like up to 100k would make much more sense. Let's say 15% hit each year, assuming $60k purchase price. $9k a year just in depreciation not adding any interest. Factor what the truck would be worth in another year and $40k, I bet the hit is 50% tops. Most trucks tend to have some emissions issues around the 200k mark, but still not a big deal.

No one is offering "real" rates of 1.99% it's a paid down interest rate. The real rate is minimum 4%.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get hooked up with a good dealer shipping south you can make it work.

1 year 30,000km on $80K truck bank on $8000 give or take $1500 cost to own.

6 year old $80k truck diesel w 180km would be what worth $35-40K? Plus maintenance with no warranty, brakes, tires etc.

6 years new every year $48000 cost.
6 year keeper $40-45000 depreciation plus 3-4 sets tires $5000, brakes $500, proper service maybe $1000 for tranny service diffs alignments etc, true ownership cost $45000- 51,000. It’s a push if you can make it work.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you ever find a dealer that can make that work let me know....

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between keeping for 6 years and 240k compared to 1 year and 40k. One thing I can assure you is buying a new one every year will cost you a chitton of extra money. Even halfway like up to 100k would make much more sense. Let's say 15% hit each year, assuming $60k purchase price. $9k a year just in depreciation not adding any interest. Factor what the truck would be worth in another year and $40k, I bet the hit is 50% tops. Most trucks tend to have some emissions issues around the 200k mark, but still not a big deal.

No one is offering "real" rates of 1.99% it's a paid down interest rate. The real rate is minimum 4%.

Not true in all cases. I deal with finance daily.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s amazing how there’s guys here that get $20k off on a truck, finance it for close to 0%, drive it for a year or two, then sell it to a dealer for close to what they paid, then do it all again....yet never give any credible details.....I smell BS.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also like the folks that lease for $1800 -$2000 per month and tell you it’s 100% right off .
Weird how the CRA has a different idea on that . Lol
You can get a loaded diesel and pay $1500-$2000 per month for 6 months and turn it back in but it will have restrictions.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true in all cases. I deal with finance daily.

Well if it is, i'd like to know who is loaning out money at 1.99%, as i'd like to borrow some!

No one, and I mean no one is loaning out money on a depreciating asset at 1.99% unless they have fallen on their head many many times. It's all in the price somehow.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also like the folks that lease for $1800 -$2000 per month and tell you it’s 100% right off .
Weird how the CRA has a different idea on that . Lol
You can get a loaded diesel and pay $1500-$2000 per month for 6 months and turn it back in but it will have restrictions.

Technically it can be if they have it under a company, the CRA cannot disallow a deduction just because someone is an idiot and overpays for something. But just because something is a tax write off doesn't mean it's a smart decision.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get hooked up with a good dealer shipping south you can make it work.

1 year 30,000km on $80K truck bank on $8000 give or take $1500 cost to own.

6 year old $80k truck diesel w 180km would be what worth $35-40K? Plus maintenance with no warranty, brakes, tires etc.

6 years new every year $48000 cost.
6 year keeper $40-45000 depreciation plus 3-4 sets tires $5000, brakes $500, proper service maybe $1000 for tranny service diffs alignments etc, true ownership cost $45000- 51,000. It’s a push if you can make it work.

Well I guess it depends how you look at the numbers.

Here's some real numbers on my truck at 171km and just a few months short of 6 years old. Purchased for 51k, estimate worth about $31k, so $20k loss in value. Those maintenance items are pretty crazy! I've bought one set of tires that cost $900, one set of front brakes at about 130k for cost of under $100 (rears tons of life left). 2 diff changes, 1 tranny and t-case service. Generous dealer cost i'd say about $1,000 for all of that, but I change my diffs for about $15, the t-case was like $50.

So for all that it's cost me about $22k if i'm rounding up and factoring in paying someone to do all the work. $3666 a year cost to own, and each year it will depreciate a lot less, and unless maintenance skyrockets (doubt it) each year continues to get cheaper.

One thing you forgot about that new truck every year is interest on constantly having a loan, which would be about $3k if financing $80k at 4% which is about where it's at, compared to if it was financed for 6 years it would be about $10k total interest, so there's an extra $1.4k a year in costs. You'd have to pay at least the $8k off of principal to not start being upside down. That's about $6.3k a YEAR more to own that new fancy truck, is it worth it? No way in hell is it to me. I'll take that money and put it to much better use elsewhere.

If you could buy a new truck every year for about the same cost, everyone would do it. It's because you can't. If someone wants to lie to themselves and say the numbers work, do it. But if someone wants the truth on numbers, there is a reason why people don't buy a new truck every year, it's a terrible financial move.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New Bugatti La Voiture is 18million$ Probably looses 100g the second you drive it off the lot. Can you right that off with the CRA? (probably could) lmao

Would putting miles on the new 18million$ Bugatti be a good financial move? Some things in life arent always about saving a couple buks...

https://youtu.be/rg9d1MP00UQ

https://youtu.be/rg9d1MP00UQ

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair price, hmm

lets see.

if i'm the seller $90,000

if i'm the buyer $100

this is kind of one of those dumb questions.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technically it can be if they have it under a company, the CRA cannot disallow a deduction just because someone is an idiot and overpays for something. But just because something is a tax write off doesn't mean it's a smart decision.

Anything on a vehicle lease off over the allowable $800 per month and it’s disallowed if you get checked .
You take the remainder as personal.
Purchase , it’s 15% first year and 30% after .
At least that’s what people way smarter then me doing the books let me know .

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything on a vehicle lease off over the allowable $800 per month and it’s disallowed if you get checked .
You take the remainder as personal.
Purchase , it’s 15% first year and 30% after .
At least that’s what people way smarter then me doing the books let me know .

Part of it would be how it's claimed though too, someone could mistake a vehicle for equipment. I claim much beyond $800/month for lease payments for my company equipment. Yes for purchase CCA limit is $34k or something? But lease is different. They could also get creative with other ways to write it off.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it is, i'd like to know who is loaning out money at 1.99%, as i'd like to borrow some!

No one, and I mean no one is loaning out money on a depreciating asset at 1.99% unless they have fallen on their head many many times. It's all in the price somehow.

98% of people buying a vehicle are going to finance. Sure it's built into the cost, but I guarantee you the cash discount is no where near enough to warrant financing elsewhere. Very seldom are you going to save anything.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
98% of people buying a vehicle are going to finance. Sure it's built into the cost, but I guarantee you the cash discount is no where near enough to warrant financing elsewhere. Very seldom are you going to save anything.

Generally it is within $1000, the cash better if it's a lower optioned and the finance better if it's really high, but it would also assume you keep it until it's paid for or else the lower rate is a lot more expensive which is part of why it's more attractive. 7 year 0%? They know very few who finance will keep it that long. 98%? Doubt it. I think you'd be surprised how many people pay cash for vehicles. Why would you finance elsewhere? Buy it when you can pay cash.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally it is within $1000, the cash better if it's a lower optioned and the finance better if it's really high, but it would also assume you keep it until it's paid for or else the lower rate is a lot more expensive which is part of why it's more attractive. 7 year 0%? They know very few who finance will keep it that long. 98%? Doubt it. I think you'd be surprised how many people pay cash for vehicles. Why would you finance elsewhere? Buy it when you can pay cash.

Do you even read what you're posting?
You're the one that was yapping off about the purchase price costing a bunch more money to finance, which in most cases it doesn't, and now you're even admitting it. If you had any kind of financial smarts, if you had the cash to buy outright, you're better off investing it and using the finance provided. It isn't rocket science.
As far as me being surprised by the number of people that pay cash, no, because there aren't many. I know that for a fact.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you even read what you're posting?
You're the one that was yapping off about the purchase price costing a bunch more money to finance, which in most cases it doesn't, and now you're even admitting it. If you had any kind of financial smarts, if you had the cash to buy outright, you're better off investing it and using the finance provided. It isn't rocket science.
As far as me being surprised by the number of people that pay cash, no, because there aren't many. I know that for a fact.

Do you read what you write? I said no one is financing a vehicle at a TRUE 1.99%, which is fact. Because most people financing vehicles just have that money around and are investing it? Doubtful. Most do it because they want something right away and won't save, and end up in a endless loop of buying new vehicles every few years and never have any equity. Smart money people don't buy new vehicles unless they have a high net worth and the bad financial decision to buy a new vehicle isn't a big hit.

Top Bottom