SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
February 24, 2022 by Adam Malik

Most are paying above sticker price for new vehicles​

Car-delaership-pexels-antoni-shkraba-7144191-1024x682.jpg

Antoni Shkraba / Pexels
More than eight-in-10 consumers paid above sticker price when shopping for a new vehicle in the United States in January, according to new research.

Edmunds found that 82 per cent of consumers paid above the manufacturer’s suggested retail price last month. That happened in just 2.8 per cent of transactions in January 2021 and 0.3 per cent in January 2020.

The average transaction price for a new vehicle climbed to US$728 above MSRP in January 2022, compared to US$2,152 below MSRP in January 2021 and US$2,648 below MSRP in January 2020.

“The fact that an overwhelming majority of consumers are paying above sticker price would have been unthinkable even just a year ago,” said Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds’ executive director of insights. “This is in part driven by affluent consumers being willing to shell out more cash to get the vehicles that they want, but there’s also a vast population of individuals who are being forced to do so simply because they need transportation and have no other choice.”

Cadillac topped the list of brands that commanded above-sticker price, with an average markup of $4,048 in January, followed by Land Rover, with an average markup of $2,565, and Kia, with an average markup of $2,289.

Consumers could end up waiting up to a year or longer if decide to hold off until the market resembles anything close to the pre-pandemic normal, observed Ivan Drury, Edmunds’ senior manager of insights

“But some buyers simply cannot wait. If you know you need a new vehicle soon — or if you have a vehicle coming off lease and its term can’t be extended — doing extra research is critical to get an advantage, and using the list set forth below is a decent starting point if you’re looking out for price discrepancies among different brands.”

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a fact. Working at a dealership I see this a lot. The worst part of it is that these dealers are selling for more than MSRP, but in their ad its says the asking price IS MSRP. Then I take my customer to the FCA website and show them the actual price. Another eye opener or awakening as you'd say. Everyone just wants to phuck one another. No honest people left... except for S&M's.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suspect with majority of vehicles financed, many see payment go up $50 a month and blow it off. When the auto industry stabilizes who knows.

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a fact. Working at a dealership I see this a lot. The worst part of it is that these dealers are selling for more than MSRP, but in their ad its says the asking price IS MSRP. Then I take my customer to the FCA website and show them the actual price. Another eye opener or awakening as you'd say. Everyone just wants to phuck one another. No honest people left... except for S&M's.
FCA website? what is that?

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sales guy looks happy, customers not so much
Sales guys aren’t happy, their numbers are down and they struggle to make a living because there is fak all to sell. Sales commission is a volume business and if u have nothing on the lot times are hard.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that in the dealer agreements the dealer is not spose to sell any vehicle above the MSRP.

t300

Reaction score
I believe that in the dealer agreements the dealer is not spose to sell any vehicle above the MSRP.

Appears some dealers are adding a ton of high margin dealer Addons. So msrp may not be more but sale price is, can’t take off paint or glass protection, or undercoat .

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
MSRP = manufacturer's suggested retail price....
It is a suggested retail price, and if it sells for more, great for the dealer. If you don't like it, go buy elsewhere. That's what happened to the new Corvettes, the TRX, the Red Eye Hellcat widebodies etc etc.
Nothing in dealer agreements about selling for more than MSRP.
Just like TV's, Phones, even Home sales, etc

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fella i know loves his vettes. when the c8 came out he stopped in calgary and was checking one out. salesman said 20k over list and its yours. he told him to eat a dick, lol.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my ‘20 Sierra 3500HD AT4 with 45000km on it for 3g less than the window sticker was. In 3hrs. Used market is just as nuts.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the time I ordered my new truck to the time I picked it up, dealer said price has gone up $5000......hadn't even driven it off the lot yet. An appreciating asset....lol. Apparently I have a limited model now as well....dealer told me Ford not producing new 350's with sunroofs since Ford is out of sunroof drive mechanisms. My old truck is listing for $10,000 more than I paid. Can't make this shat up.

Raptors $25,000 over list.
Gentleman I was chatting with told me he saw a USED Audi R8 listed at $40,000 over what the asking price was just prior to the pandemic.

Crazy times....

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any predictions from those in the know? We would like to upgrade our SUV. Seems like the worst possible time to do it though. Starting to wonder if a guy wouldn't be smart to order one the way things are going. Used market is just insane

Top Bottom