Utility services

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think last bill worked out to 28 cents kw/hr. 400 bucks for average house, shop and a hot tub. Used to never be over 270/month for the coldest months....
Freedom 85 baby....
Just got gas bill, 406 bucks. So over 800/month just for gas and power. Glad it wasn't -40 all month...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow… you’re living cheap!

My gas bill last month was almost $500

Are you right in Invermere? Whats the property tax like out there?
No natural gas here and hydro in our area is a little cheaper due to the Columbia River agreement with the US.
My acreage taxes are just over $500. Have no services other than fire protection.
Without the wood stove I'd be spending a lot more on propane.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been with Just Energy for the past 8 years. Seem ok and responsible
We have the garage heated.
Hot tub and air conditioning
It’s both power and gas on one bill.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread, I locked in my natural gas in Oct 2022 for 5 yr @ $6.19/GJ. I noticed the 5 yr fixed rate was $4.99 this morning & called in to lock in that price.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
City of red deer is offering 50$ towards your utility bill (one time) if you sign up for a "smart" thermostat.

I have a feeling you should spend the 50$ on a sweater though if you sign up.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might as well go native, pull the closet doors of and put on fire in tub.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Or just dont get it installed in the first place is my plan...
which "smart" thermostat are they offering? Most of them are not controllable by a third party.
Nest Learning Thermostat, the Google Nest Thermostat are all smart thermostats but don't even need to be connected to the web to be used.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which "smart" thermostat are they offering? Most of them are not controllable by a third party.
Nest Learning Thermostat, the Google Nest Thermostat are all smart thermostats but don't even need to be connected to the web to be used.

No idea. Just saw an add, didn't look into it because my thermostat works just fine.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loved my ecobee at my last place. It had sensors in different rooms so I could use those sensors to get an average temp or make sure my son's room was the right temp. It would also turn the heat down if I wasn't home or I could program it to cool down when I was away at work and then warm up again before I got home.

I want one here at our new place but I'm thinking the same thing...I don't want that much technology here...as our robot mop/vacuum cleans the house beside me lol

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread, I locked in my natural gas in Oct 2022 for 5 yr @ $6.19/GJ. I noticed the 5 yr fixed rate was $4.99 this morning & called in to lock in that price.
Is it forecast to go up? I'm on floating rate. Last month was $3.75/Gj

Top Bottom