GnR clutch alignment tool G5

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come I never read anything about us being all worried about clutch alignment on the G5? We all were scared on the G4 and I even bought the GnR alignment tool. I used it on a few sled and did some pretty big adjustments.
now I read the GnR kit does not work on the G5? So did BRP nail it? What changed?
1703177775546.png

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The forth engine mount is a big part of equation on the G5. The GNR alignment was compensating for the engine twist under load, like a floating secondary would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think Most guys are getting 1000k out of a belt so its sort of become less of an issue as most understand thats pretty decent life. Im sure some tweaking could be done to make it better with an alignment tool. Doesnt hurt to check, all it takes is tweaking your chassis a hair not visible to the eye and your clutch alignment could be out

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1360km on the belt so far and it looks good to me still

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1360km on the belt so far and it looks good to me still

id think about changing it. that's really good. the material starts to break down, the belt starts to lose its proper dimension with that many K and it will effect your RPM, belt squeeze and they make a god damn aweful mess when they go. i only put on 1000km last year so i didnt even get the pleasure of blowing a belt

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
Average seems to be about 800km per belt for our crew.. and like Maxwell said when they blow, they blow. Gone are the days of a single pulled cord giving you notice, these things just grenade.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like Maxwell said when they blow, they blow. Gone are the days of a single pulled cord giving you notice, these things just grenade.

My experience is the exact opposite.
That said, I don't just hammer down until it blows. Even before the belt temp warning was a thing, it didn't take much conscientiousness to take a break when it is getting hot.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience is the exact opposite.
That said, I don't just hammer down until it blows. Even before the belt temp warning was a thing, it didn't take much conscientiousness to take a break when it is getting hot.

hmmm i havent had one give me a cord warning since my summit 600 in 2001 LOL. The new turbos are even worse with the extra power they pop hard. But im not easy on it thats forsure

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, anybody wanna buy a GnR clutch alignment tool set-up?
Looks like I won’t be needing it for the next sled……..

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt issue's don't exist for the average rider, if you don't have an issue you have indicated your riding style. If you have an issue you are in the extreme riding group. The guy that does not have belt problem with his sled, let the the guy that does have belt issue's drive the no problem sled :) I promise the no problem sled now has a problem.

Many factors have changed since the belt issue's, that began with 2017 G4.

Horrible clutching that has improved each year, major heat generation.

Engine clutch alignment, small improvements each year of the G4 until revised engine mounting G5.

Cooling, the Phoney belt guard BS with the G4, continued from the XM.......another engineering die to the grave deal. Now the G5 cover is moving air as it should.

To the OP, I've checked G5 alignment vs G4 using GnR's tool. Initially I thought we are still going to see problems. The motor cannot move in gyro motion as the G4......that is one part. Then the improved clutching & cooling.

I'm guessing you won't find anyone interested in your used tool Ha! Not many sled guys would take the deep dive into the how & why it was so helpful. Mine has it's own drawer in the tool box.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alignment on the 17 and 18 was not sufficient offset on the Z compared to the 19~newer models.
My 17 blew 8~9 belts, and after the 18 update mount kit on the magneto side, then 4~5 belts.
Once I did the GNR alignment, red urethane, drill out the update mount kit, move the engine fwd 1/8" on the mag side, now I get a season out of a belt and i've on-purpose run the 571 over 300deg for belt testing.

My sled has the original clutch guard, not modified, nor do I have the finned clutches. Running as stock from crate.

The 2019~newer sleds just dont blow much belts anymore that I get feedback of.
And my GNR tool is collecting dust.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a guy explain how likely over 75% of the G4s did not have belt issues? I dont think any of them did not have belt heat issues, but they were not all belt eaters?

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2018 had the dealer updates done before I bought it including vent 3600 km 2belts . Never blew one. Sold it with the second one on it and still measured very good. I hope the G5 is just as good. It would be nice to have snow to test it.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think Most guys are getting 1000k out of a belt so its sort of become less of an issue as most understand thats pretty decent life. Im sure some tweaking could be done to make it better with an alignment tool. Doesnt hurt to check, all it takes is tweaking your chassis a hair not visible to the eye and your clutch alignment could be out
You think the extra venting on the g5 will prolong that any?

Sold my '22 with 1700km on the original belt. Not many easy miles on that thing.

Top Bottom