Utility services

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious who people are using for utilities? We had a ridiculous easy max bill not being locked in. So looking to change, as they won't do anything to help. Who are you using and what are there rates?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend works at Enmax, she said the call centre people go through a daily debrief after their shift ends to help deal with the brutal calls that they deal with all shift. They a had a few call centre peeps loose it already.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend works at Enmax, she said the call centre people go through a daily debrief after their shift ends to help deal with the brutal calls that they deal with all shift. They a had a few call centre peeps loose it already.
I can imagine.... my wife called and probably a good thing. They would of needed some therapy after my call.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour sent me a text the other night with his current Direct Energy bill...over $1,000!! Traditionally we have gone on floating rates as it typically works out better over the long run. Saw the writing on the wall and locked in early fall. We are with ATCO and have been happy so far. Less than half of neighbours on last billing cycle. Roughly same size house. We have not compared consumption however. I would imagine it should be somewhat close.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the call center person you talk to is responsible for your high utility bill.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I locked in 2 years ago and had "dirt cheap rates" for 3 more years but I moved and enmax or anything similar isn't out here. Sucks losing that good rate

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't say I pay much attention to my utility bills, I have everything with Epcor on auto deposit. Last bill was $450, with the $75 credit so it's really not bad. But looking at it power in dec was 24/kw and in jan 13.5/kw.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't say I pay much attention to my utility bills, I have everything with Epcor on auto deposit. Last bill was $450, with the $75 credit so it's really not bad. But looking at it power in dec was 24/kw and in jan 13.5/kw.

fea678254283e6bf8d54efd0619ddb6e.jpg

Pics from Dec 23rd. Only 11 mill an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine normally was 300 and change now with turd screwing everything up it 800

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think last bill worked out to 28 cents kw/hr. 400 bucks for average house, shop and a hot tub. Used to never be over 270/month for the coldest months....
Freedom 85 baby....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not far off. Rumour has it that it is super pricey to get a stove installed but I'm sitting on a life time supply of heat around my house...
I heat primarily with wood, furnace is back up and helps when it's -25 and below.
Use 3-4 cord a year.
Furnace uses $500 in propane every 18months.
Hydro runs about $200 a month December- Feb. Mostly from tank heaters for horses, pigs and chickens.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not far off. Rumour has it that it is super pricey to get a stove installed but I'm sitting on a life time supply of heat around my house...
Its about 7k plus or minus. Takes a long time to pay off for sure but independence is worth it. Can be done cheaper if you are interested in doing the work for sure. Wood stoves will probably have limited usefulness in the next 20 years, I had to switch from Cooperators because they wanted 2k more per year in premiums to add a stove...

Interesting video for your viewing pleasure

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed rates have worked well for me for many years now. I use to be with Encor/Epcor, but switched to ATCO and have been happy. I’ve rarely seen the floating rate prices cheaper than the fixed price. The monthly administration cost is also significantly less when fixed.

This is for electricity. The area I’m in has gas supplied under a coop and so I only have 1 supplier available for gas that I can go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heat primarily with wood, furnace is back up and helps when it's -25 and below.
Use 3-4 cord a year.
Furnace uses $500 in propane every 18months.
Hydro runs about $200 a month December- Feb. Mostly from tank heaters for horses, pigs and chickens.
Wow… you’re living cheap!

My gas bill last month was almost $500

Are you right in Invermere? Whats the property tax like out there?

Top Bottom