Tips for rebuilding an etec?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i want to take a stab at rebuilding my etec this weekend. I know i need Reeds for sure but considering i'll have it mostly torn down for that, might as well redoo the top end too. Any tips/tricks?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i havent done an xm yet but im sure having the whole top hood come off must make the job much more enjoyable.

thats what i figured, I know the gas tank removed makes it more enjoyable as well. Anything else need to be done?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what i figured, I know the gas tank removed makes it more enjoyable as well. Anything else need to be done?

If you're rebuilding your turbo sled you're right; sliding the fuel tank back will allow you to leave the airbox attached to the throttle bodies and still get at the bolts to remove the reed cages. I got Linderman to do mine this summer and he said he'd wished that he had pulled the fuel tank because it's a bitch if you don't.

The only other advice I would have is to replace all your gaskets and hopefully have some help when it comes to putting the monoblock back on. It can be a real bitch to get both pistons and rings into the cylinders.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to use fat zap straps for ring compressors. Tighten them up around the piston with the rings seated and then slide the monoblock over top. Hold the monoblock up off the bottom case enough to get side cutters in and snip the zap straps.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup the monoblock is a biotch. if you use single ring pistons again i find a zip straap to hold them closed then it slides off as it goes into the cylinder

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to use fat zap straps for ring compressors. Tighten them up around the piston with the rings seated and then slide the monoblock over top. Hold the monoblock up off the bottom case enough to get side cutters in and snip the zap straps.

LOL nice. what he said

marchuk

Reaction score
makes it alot easer with two guys one guy holding the monoblock from the top and then another compressing the rings

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so zip ties, and two guys; Check. Anything else a guy should know? I have everything ordered and I will be sure to take a bunch of pictures along the way so there is evidence lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0478edae-339e-405d-aa54-0c83ec7bc7ee_300.jpg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so zip ties, and two guys; Check. Anything else a guy should know? I have everything ordered and I will be sure to take a bunch of pictures along the way so there is evidence lol

Sorry to say but zip ties and two guys sounds kinda gay! Oh don't forget the lube and lots of it! Lol

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your Airbox slides out the side (clutch side) by pulling on a little tab on the side right behind secondary..

I tell you what, I pulled my brothers etec right out and believe me its not all the bad.... only took about an hour once you got the panels hood and exhaust off..

then it slides out the clutch side of E-module just like a REV....

Its next to impossible to get the rear Mag side jug bolts if you leave it ion the motor..

dsenych

Reaction score
I like to replace the wrist pin and caged bearings when changing the pistons... Only costs like $30 extra and takes 0 extra time really

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another tip is if your going to be changing reeds quite often I would put Allen head bolts in the intake boots .
This makes it a lot easier with a ball end to remove and install.
The bolts are a pain in the ass.
Also cut the clutch side bolt a bit shorter as it will make it a lot easier to install and remove.
A small 1/4 inch air ratchet makes things go a lot faster as well.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want a good set of feeler gauges and a very fine file to check and adjust your ring end gap.

Good point, I think a lot of guys overlook this. I use a diamond hone to file my rings if needed. Remember to only file one direction, toward the piston.

I like to replace the wrist pin and caged bearings when changing the pistons... Only costs like $30 extra and takes 0 extra time really

For sure cheap insurance.

Top Bottom