Adding Cruise Control on an Old Cummins

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So long story short I ended up buying an 04 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins with the 6 speed standard. Needs a little love but for the most part is in great shape and only 145,000 kms. Also pretty bare boned which I can live with except it doesn’t have cruise control. I like my cruise control for long trips which is pretty much all I’ll be doing with the truck. Anyone have a bunch of experience with these old trucks that might know if it can be added? A quick search tells me that with this particular truck, it’s just a matter of buying the switches and then plug and play. Seems way too good to be true. Anyone know from experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt think 04 was that old lol (i drive an 03 but used to have a 91, that was getting closer to old, imo)

First is it an early 04 or late 04? that was a crossover year.

Seems it can be done easily on the late 04 with just switches.

This site is your best info for 3rd gens.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now isn't that a piss off, dealer upsells the higher model truck for thousands more so a guy can get cruise control, all the while it's only $50 in switches to get the base model to have cruise control.

Agreed. If legit all it’s gonna take to have cruise in that truck is a couple of switches, why in the hell would it leave the factory without them?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably cheaper to have a truck go down the line with a standard wiring package and screw on accessories. Could you imagine in an assembly line scenario having every vehicle with different wiring options? Not sure if its till a thing but BMW for a while was thinking about making customers subscribe for options that there car had.

That would be the day I would own a Beemer..

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OIP.jpg

this should work

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys will pay 50g extra to have a 10inch screen in their truck and you can buy a 65 inch TV for 500$ from walmart.

Its like kinda skidoo selling you a 2$ belt holder for god knows how much.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One might think the wiring harness is in place...

An option is get one from the auto wrecker cheap...

Tell them you require all of the components and you'll be good to go

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 97 F350 Powerstroke. They were the same. No cruise? Just get the horn pad for steering wheel.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So long story short I ended up buying an 04 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins with the 6 speed standard. Needs a little love but for the most part is in great shape and only 145,000 kms. Also pretty bare boned which I can live with except it doesn’t have cruise control. I like my cruise control for long trips which is pretty much all I’ll be doing with the truck. Anyone have a bunch of experience with these old trucks that might know if it can be added? A quick search tells me that with this particular truck, it’s just a matter of buying the switches and then plug and play. Seems way too good to be true. Anyone know from experience?

If memory serves me right the standard trans was different than the auto maybe the kit will still work not sure? Just something to be aware of. The standard potentiometer is under the battery and the auto is on the engine.

Top Bottom