Looking for some recommendations

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I know absolutely nothing on computers. I can turn them on and off and use a few apps and programs.
I'm looking for some advice as to what I should be looking to get. Seems my old Mac desktop to too old. And lap top is even older.

I would like a lap top.

I want lots of storage for making videos from sled trips, quad trips and jeep adventures.
I don't yet have a good app/program to make videos with yet either. So I'll take some recommendations there as well.

But I also want to run Chrip on what ever I get. (Chirp will not work on either computer I currently have).

What should I be looking for? Brand? Size?

Keep in mind I don't speak computer talk.

Thanks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on memory express

I’ve also bought refurbished laptops from London drugs and have had great luck with them

Reactions: RXN

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I went right to Dell for my latest one, we get good pricing through work, and I couldn't find anything in retail stores that were comparable.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I agree with memory express, but after running Mac for a while there will be a learning curve. I'm a Mac guy now and I have a hard time jumping back to PC. Macs are a little more $ but I know for me the longevity has been un real compared to what I was getting out of other brands before I made the switch.

• Thanks

t300

Reaction score
If video processing , get big solid state (SSD) drive, lower price point will typically only get you “hybrid” drive (small ssd and big spinning disk combo essentially)and I would highly recommend getting 32gigs of ram. 16 won’t cut it. 24…. Maybe.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went down to that Memory Express today, and picked up a new lap top.
MSI Thin GF63 with windows 11. Just picked a video editor, currently downloading it now. going to try that Corel Video Studio 2023. start with the free trial, if I like it, sounds like $99.99 one time fee, so see how well I like it.
Down loaded Chirp and was able to label the Frequency we use while Jeeping as "Jeeping" , that was cool, kinda proud of my self for figuring that out. Will need to do that for my Sledding group next.
Also picked up an SD Micro card from my phone, using it, I'm uploading out Nordegg trip into You tube, So I'll post that, but once this Corel Video Studio is down loaded, I will try making another video just to see. So may see two video's floating around.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters now, but I think you'll like the MSI, it's what I use at work.
I have a couple of them ( a GP66 and an older PE60 that still runs my modeling program) and they have some good specs coming out of the box especially for a casual user

• Thanks

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters now, but I think you'll like the MSI, it's what I use at work.
I have a couple of them ( a GP66 and an older PE60 that still runs my modeling program) and they have some good specs coming out of the box especially for a casual user
Right on. Good to know. Most this stuff Is Greek to me. So time will tell.

Top Bottom