Teryx,Rhino or Ranger?

BB.

Reaction score
Not much info or feed on the Teryx,looking at buying a SidexSide .Thoughts/ experience/advice.Also what about going south to get one with our dollar par?

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much info or feed on the Teryx,looking at buying a SidexSide .Thoughts/ experience/advice.Also what about going south to get one with our dollar par?

Well I've owned a Rhino and a Ranger and have run a Teryx a few times and I would rank them Ranger first, then Teryx and finally the Rhino. The Ranger is more all purpose has a huge box and carrying capacity, is more family oriented (it has a bench seat and you can get a crew cab version) and has plenty of power, the Teryx does the utility thing well and has plenty of power. The Rhino is outdated, kinda gutless, but still pretty fun but it's the least capable of the three, I think you can get way more options for the Rhino.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends we ride with have a ranger,it is a great machine and can carry a good load or coolers...:d:d:beer::beer:

No issues with them and they drive them hard.

racerfromhell

Reaction score

Depends on what you are going to use it for........just sport riding or do you want to put it to work? Do you want to haul a cow or just haul down the trail?......They are all good, any any good dealer will let you test drive them.
I even test drove my wife before I married her.........:d

500 King

Reaction score
I even test drove my wife before I married her.........:d

LOL... hope you made a good choice... they're not so easy to trade in. :d

Anyhow, I agree... depends on what you use the machine for, and what you want out of it. When it comes to reliability, it's hard to beat a Yamaha. On the other hand, the Ranger has it's advantages (and disadvantages). I can't speak to the Teryx? The guys we know, only have Rhino's and Ranger's.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL... hope you made a good choice... they're not so easy to trade in. :d

Anyhow, I agree... depends on what you use the machine for, and what you want out of it. When it comes to reliability, it's hard to beat a Yamaha. On the other hand, the Ranger has it's advantages (and disadvantages). I can't speak to the Teryx? The guys we know, only have Rhino's and Ranger's.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of the Ranger as I am also looking to purchase.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages / disadvantages of the Ranger as I am also looking to purchase.

We are on our 3rd Ranger. The first 2 were 6x6's, and the new one is a 4x4. The 6x6 will go anywhere, they are incredibly stable in the hills, and by far the smoothest ride of any sxs I have rat-bagged. They also have a huge tow/haul capacity (1500lbs). I like the fact that they have a 3-person bench seat...it works great for my wife and 2 daughters. I ride a quad, so the 3 of them fit perfectly up front, nobody has to ride in the back...although I did install a rear cage and seat. They are nice and easy to get in and out of as well, you can just slide into them. The down side is that they are a little wider than the other sxs's, but the trails are becoming more adaptive to them, as more and more people are buying sxs's. The 4x4 Ranger is a lot sportier and more fun to drive, but will not go where the 6x6 will in the muskeg. As far as reliability goes, they all require a certain amount of maintenance, but, we have never had anything more serious than a popped tire bead in the bush.

chicken eyes

Reaction score
I think all OEM's are making good machines and price could also be a factor. I run a 2008 Rhino, but buy the time you outfit it, the cost is up there. Polaris has some awsome rebates right now. I don't know anyone riding a tyrex but I think they have more low end torque then a rhino due to the twin cyl. Good time off year for buying.

500 King

Reaction score
I was looking at the 800XP. Is the EPS worth the extra cash ? A guy could buy alot of extras instead.

Well then, the 800XP Polaris has the disadvantage, or advantage (depending on what you need) of being extremely wider than the Rhino. Especially if one takes off the factory added wheel spacers off the Rhino. On the other hand, the extra width makes the machine more stable, but not near as nimble. Obviously, the added width gives more room in the cab.

The Polaris has the AWD, but I prefer the locker on the Rhino. I also prefer the fact that the Rhino doesn't have a plastic roller cage in the front differential holding that AWD together. Although, I don't see or hear of too many Rangers busting up the front diff like I do on the Polaris ATV's. I can tell you from personal experience, fixing, or worse yet, having that front diff fixed/replaced on a PoPo is expensive.

The ride of the Polaris is the best... no doubt. However, the Rhino is fine, and a bit more fun on the trails.

The Polaris has more power, and can tow/haul more "stuff". The Rhino does just fine though.

As for the power steering... try one with and without if you can. I have it on my ATV and wouldn't be without it, but I understood going in that if it breaks, it is EXPENSIVE to replace (like 1200 - 1500 US) The Rangers I've driven are not bad without it, but I bet it would be a nice option... your choice.

In the end, these toys are expensive. I like the reliably of the Yamaha's compared to the Polaris machines.

Good luck, and have fun with your ride... whatever you get.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are on our 3rd Ranger. The first 2 were 6x6's, and the new one is a 4x4. The 6x6 will go anywhere, they are incredibly stable in the hills, and by far the smoothest ride of any sxs I have rat-bagged. They also have a huge tow/haul capacity (1500lbs). I like the fact that they have a 3-person bench seat...it works great for my wife and 2 daughters. I ride a quad, so the 3 of them fit perfectly up front, nobody has to ride in the back...although I did install a rear cage and seat. They are nice and easy to get in and out of as well, you can just slide into them. The down side is that they are a little wider than the other sxs's, but the trails are becoming more adaptive to them, as more and more people are buying sxs's. The 4x4 Ranger is a lot sportier and more fun to drive, but will not go where the 6x6 will in the muskeg. As far as reliability goes, they all require a certain amount of maintenance, but, we have never had anything more serious than a popped tire bead in the bush.

that was a good ride:d and on a plus it makes a great ambulance

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/members/arff-albums-crane-lake-picture5428t-341.jpg[/media]

Our friends ranger,,,he has had no problems

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people who switched from a rhino to a rzr, teryx , ranger. I can`t think of any one that went the other way......If you are looking for an all around utility machine, the teryx is a pretty good unit, very tough,big diffs ,axles etc and very reliable .It also has the ability to add some more ponies where the rhino is pretty tough to get any power out of it . Stay with a twin, The singles don`t have enough torque in a quad let alone in a side /side . Take a look at the new Commander 800 as well ....?

Top Bottom