sure quiet around here lately...........

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So then would it be safe to say that an electronic boost gauge like the koso x2 which is around a $400-$600 gauge depending where u get it -must be a decent gauge for that price? No? would only register boost on a digital lcd screen in the positive values I guess if the pressure in the little vacuum line that feeds the sensor for the digital gauge would be let's just say for instance hmmm let me think - must be something like any pressure above 14.7psi - if you look at this picture below or am I just completely out to lunch here and maybe just maybe I'm just sitting on this forum just arguing with myself - or by chance am I trying to get somewhere with this
c909b3a074042d143f0485c035080774.jpg

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You answer the question first before I answer any more of your chit

8000feet air pressure 10.9psia , I want 14.7psi in the manifold, do I need the spinny thing yes or no?
Yes - you want 14.7 in your manifold you need a turbo - because the turbo will make its own atmospheric pressure right? - ask yourself this - a boost gauge right? It has a zero and some positive numbers and some negative numbers right - if it was at negative 1 is that negative 1 lbs of boost? Or vacuum? And anything above zero would be considered boost right? RIGHT - boost is known as a positive value right ? So if a boost gauge only registers boost above 14.7 which I've explained countless times - and the stock turbo maintains 14.7 in the manifold how much boost is it gonna register on a gauge if just so happens somebody with bottomless pockets wanted to put the pricey x2 gauge on their new $20,000 sled just for funzeez

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this guy might actually live in a vacuum...LMAO

75de79970cbdc78b0cccf19323e69090.gif

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - you want 14.7 in your manifold you need a turbo - because the turbo will make its own atmospheric pressure right? - ask yourself this - a boost gauge right? It has a zero and some positive numbers and some negative numbers right - if it was at negative 1 is that negative 1 lbs of boost? Or vacuum? And anything above zero would be considered boost right? RIGHT - boost is known as a positive value right ? So if a boost gauge only registers boost above 14.7 which I've explained countless times - and the stock turbo maintains 14.7 in the manifold how much boost is it gonna register on a gauge if just so happens somebody with bottomless pockets wanted to put the pricey x2 gauge on their new $20,000 sled just for funzeez

You know what the vacuum is? Its a difference in pressure. The differnce exists only in the guage. If you lived in a vacuum you would die....

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what the vacuum is? Its a difference in pressure. The differnce exists only in the guage. If you lived in a vacuum you would die....
Anything below zero on a boost gauge is considered vacuum no? If your at idle the boost gauge shows vacuum right? Yes because the motor at idle is sucking air like a Dyson - if the motor is stopped the gauge reads a bit of vacuum negative zero point 5 at my house - when you go up in altitude the gauge will read more into the negative numbers - so is it safe to say that the smallest amount of vacuum - and I mean the smallest amount of vacuum - would it be safe to say that the vacuum on a boost gauge would start going into the negative numbers when you start climbing in altitude like the mountain climber on the price is right?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything below zero on a boost gauge is considered vacuum no? If your at idle the boost gauge shows vacuum right? Yes because the motor at idle is sucking air like a Dyson - if the motor is stopped the gauge reads a bit of vacuum negative zero point 5 at my house - when you go up in altitude the gauge will read more into the negative numbers - so is it safe to say that the smallest amount of vacuum - and I mean the smallest amount of vacuum - would it be safe to say that the vacuum on a boost gauge would start going into the negative numbers when you start climbing in altitude like the mountain climber on the price is right?

You must be a troll or retarded, either way its time for bed. Your gauges must be chit too, and they obviously dont read air pressure. Toys for sledding aplications. Not for science.

Peace.

Last edited:

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the fact that the factory Doo turbo pushes ZERO BOOST PRESSURE - if you were to put a gauge on it - u would see zero psi - absolute manifold pressure is 14.7psi at all times - quite a few people need to wrap their head around that one

Wrong! Many Boost gauges reference atmospheric pressure as you gain elevation a gauge will still be 0 KOEO. It equalizes pressure increases both sides of the diaphragm. You will not go into vacuum as you gain elevation so it will read boost pressure.

In most areas we ride in Sicamous/Revelstoke boost pressure will be 2.2-2.8 psi.
With BD EBC boost gauge will read 2-3 psi higher at elevation then it does down low

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When an engine load increases, it pulls more vacuum the MAP sensor tells the ecu hey more fuel/air,.. the turbo as was mentioned is an altitude compensator delivers more air to reach absolute 14.7,.. you could go as far as saying its a vacuum compensator. There is no boost per se as there is air makeup because of less density at altitude.

You have that waaaaay backwards. Engine has high vacuum at idle the highest point of vacuum will be when RPM is high and throttle snaps shut. Idle will be typical 18 in hg of vacuum, throttle snap 21-22 in hg of vacuum and wide open 0 vacuum = to atmospheric pressure.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is NO BOOST - over and above sea level pressure - it compensates the loss in manifold pressure from sea level to 8000 - boost is usually any psi the motor will see over and above 14.7 - a wastegate spring wether it is a 3lb or a 7lb spring - it is also calibrated at 14.7 + the 3 or 7lbs - gauges are calibrated at 14.7 - wrap your head around it

Boost is not referenced to 14.7 it is referenced to BARO

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a **** storm of bad/wrong information this this. Some people need to open a text book or read description and operation my ****

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is NO BOOST - over and above sea level pressure - it compensates the loss in manifold pressure from sea level to 8000 - boost is usually any psi the motor will see over and above 14.7 - a wastegate spring wether it is a 3lb or a 7lb spring - it is also calibrated at 14.7 + the 3 or 7lbs - gauges are calibrated at 14.7 - wrap your head around it

Has no wg spring.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a sin - mine is running minto buds - climbs doghouse at eagles like a maf*ka - got a coolant leak I gotta get to the bottom of tho but no biggie

Dog house is like the main trial stock sleds climb dog house all the time my I’ve had my gf climb dog house and a buddy on a stock 155 polaris his second day in the mountains

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly feel broken. For years I have felt happiness when I looked down at the bars and saw the “boost” gauge reading 10psi.... but now I have learnt that I do not know chit about pressures.

should I have been smiling like I was riding on 5psi, or like I was riding a zero boost ski doo?

Did/do I really need race gas?

maybe the all oh mighty king cat with friends deep in the clutch world (who own patents from the 90’s I might add) is right and I actually know F ALL about the iron I ride daily. I probably ride the first zero boost sled known to man.

I can’t wait for me lesson.... que kingcat?

CJD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town in Alberta Canada with an altitude of 2015ft above sea level - with an atmospheric pressure of 13.66psi - sea level is 14.7psi - I have an electronic boost gauge - the koso x2 - if I power on the gauge without the motor running it reads negative 0.5 - because my altitude pressure is just shy 1lb - it only reads in point 5's - so I guess that would mean at my house I'm at almost a lb of vacuum - no? Has anything I said above a false statement?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200302/5cf6448c71e3c8a53130f2ce0135bb5c.jpg
Yes. What you said is a false statement. A vacuum starts at below 0 PSIG or PSIA. You need to understand the difference between PSIG and PSIA. At sea level you have pressure readings on to different gauges. You will see 0 PSIG. Or 14.7 PSIA. One full atmosphere at sea level exerts 14.7 pounds of positive pressure. So at your house you will see roughly 13.7 pounds of positive pressure. Not a vacuum. If you were in an actuall vacuum you would not be able to breath and would die. That’s why when you go to 8000 ft you decrease to 10.7 pounds of positive pressure (not a vacuum) and struggle to breath. When the doo turbo builds 4 lbs of boost at that elevation you will see 4 PSIG in the air box or 14.7 PSIA in the air box vs 10.7PSIA outside the air box therefore IT DOES BUILD BOOST. THE PRESSURE IN THE AIRBOX IS BOOSTED VS ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE AT ELEVATION

Last edited:

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy eats massive amounts of yellow crayons and still jerks off over TSS 5 years after they put them selfs our of business ......
Eat a huge d*ck - u huge f*ktard - why do you people feel the need to make personal stabs at me - because I'm calling you people ? That's not even fair - is generally not a personal stab towards what you ride
- do you by chance ride a Polaris?

Last edited:

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dog house is like the main trial stock sleds climb dog house all the time my I’ve had my gf climb dog house and a buddy on a stock 155 polaris his second day in the mountains
Snow conditions play a huge factor

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does the boost gauge have a little square box at zero? And not an exact spot where zero should be? Help me understand - if I lose 4lbs of pressure at 8000ft and to a manifold pressure of 10.7 and I use a turbo to replace that 4lb loss to get 14.7 in the manifold will my boost gauge read 4lbs of boost?
56979d13d4227262cce85f6f8765da6e.jpg

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. What you said is a false statement. A vacuum starts at below 0 PSIG or PSIA. You need to understand the difference between PSIG and PSIA. At sea level you have pressure readings on to different gauges. You will see 0 PSIG. Or 14.7 PSIA. One full atmosphere at sea level exerts 14.7 pounds of positive pressure. So at your house you will see roughly 13.7 pounds of positive pressure. Not a vacuum. If you were in an actuall vacuum you would not be able to breath and would die. That’s why when you go to 8000 ft you decrease to 10.7 pounds of positive pressure (not a vacuum) and struggle to breath. When the doo turbo builds 4 lbs of boost at that elevation you will see 4 PSIG in the air box or 14.7 PSIA in the air box vs 10.7PSIA outside the air box therefore IT DOES BUILD BOOST. THE PRESSURE IN THE AIRBOX IS BOOSTED VS ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE AT ELEVATION
This.
Doo builds a limited amount of boost. Call it what you want but it does compress ambient air pressure to supply equivalent to sea level pressure. Degree not needed to comprehend.
Would I pay $20k + ..nope.... Only ride 100 to 2500 elevation. Bet lots of low elevation riders will though just to have a T after their 850 sticker ..slick marketing gimmick for doo.

Top Bottom