Montana/Yellowstone

Stevemtb

Reaction score
Does anyone here still ride at Yellowstone? I see lots online about Montana riding but not a lot is current. Most of the recent stuff on here is about Rip and the train station lol. When I look up guides or cabins most seem to be touristy trail ride stuff which isn’t what we want.

Little group of us are looking to do a Yellowstone trip in Jan/Feb for something new. Hoping we could find a guide to show us around a bit, and ideally we could ride right from a cabin. I know very little about that area so not sure how realistic that is. I think parts of Yellowstone are or were off limits to 2t sleds so if yellowstone itself isn’t worthwhile we’re open to other areas in Montana.

Can anyone here share anything to help get us pointed in the right direction?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
West Yellowstone is pretty much a vast network of trails shared with 2 other states. You will be required to buy trail passes for those states to ride those trails. And it is enforced. The trails lead to different alpine riding areas like Lionshead, Big Sky and Two Top. West Yellowstone is very forgiving for riding in town. As long as you follow normal traffic rules you won’t need to drive your tow rig the whole time you are down there. We would ride to breakfast downtown every morning from our cabins. Can’t help you much with that as the place we stayed when we used to go is closed now. Maybe someone will chime in? Be careful on the trails closer to town. You might find a cop jump out from behind a tree with a radar gun to clock your speed. Also do not go into the park. The boundaries are patrolled daily numerous times and it’s poorly signed so has turned into a tourist cash cow. Ask me how I know lol. Haven’t been there for a few years now as the snow hasn’t been what it used to be but enjoyed it a lot when we used to go.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooke City is pretty nice riding. I'm not sure why, but i was looking at rooms there for Jan/feb and the Soda butte hotel (older not so great hotel but has a bar and pizza) was asking $680USD per night. it was usually priced lie other hotels in the area.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
West Yellowstone is pretty much a vast network of trails shared with 2 other states. You will be required to buy trail passes for those states to ride those trails. And it is enforced. The trails lead to different alpine riding areas like Lionshead, Big Sky and Two Top. West Yellowstone is very forgiving for riding in town. As long as you follow normal traffic rules you won’t need to drive your tow rig the whole time you are down there. We would ride to breakfast downtown every morning from our cabins. Can’t help you much with that as the place we stayed when we used to go is closed now. Maybe someone will chime in? Be careful on the trails closer to town. You might find a cop jump out from behind a tree with a radar gun to clock your speed. Also do not go into the park. The boundaries are patrolled daily numerous times and it’s poorly signed so has turned into a tourist cash cow. Ask me how I know lol. Haven’t been there for a few years now as the snow hasn’t been what it used to be but enjoyed it a lot when we used to go.

You should’ve got a refund from your guide..!! 🤣

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooke City is pretty nice riding. I'm not sure why, but i was looking at rooms there for Jan/feb and the Soda butte hotel (older not so great hotel but has a bar and pizza) was asking $680USD per night. it was usually priced lie other hotels in the area.
My mistake on the rooms. It was $680.00 for the 4 nights. Just checked into it again. last time there, we hit a huge storm. roads were closed for a few days, and it was pretty awesome riding.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have spent some time in west yellowstone, lots of riding there, have never been into Cooke but thats suppose to be really good

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like a bunch of guys on this site used to ride the US fairly regularly but you don't hear about it any more. Maybe back when the $ was better... not sure.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Ive been to all of them. West Yellowstone is a trail rider heaven. If you want to make brownie points with the lady in your life, its a good family spot. Not much Alpine but the trails are usually pretty flat.
Island park is decent in every aspect. Close to West Yellowstone but maybe a bit more agressive.
Cooke city is more like what we have in BC. Alpine, deep snow, Trees, but fark it can be super cold. ive been there working (yes riding sleds) and it was -54F. Its harder to get to but worth it. its 3 hours drive in from Bozeman, Mt or ride in from Cody, Wy. Its super cool western town where you will only ride your sled all week and drink at the same bar. Eating is good and reasonable. it would be my recommendation of each of these.

But you also gotta ask why all the hot dog US riders want to come to BC? Its for a reason and we certainly do have the best options on snow. Their high Alpine terrain is mostly classified as "wilderness". Think of it as a national park. No riding in those zones.

Thats all i know. My money would stay in BC. Lots of places to hit. Try Whistler when the weather is right in Feb/March. If you get blue bird its an experience.

Safe sleddin ya'll
RS

Stevemtb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input. So it does seem like less are going south to ride…
I’d be happy to explore more in BC but should have mentioned this is an annual trip where some buds come out from MB. It’s actually further for them to get to most riding areas in BC than to Yellowstone. They all have families and one is a teacher so they get locked into dates and most of the time when they come to BC it’s the middle of a dry spell. We’ve had real bad luck the last 3-4 years so figured try Yellowstone and if the snow sucks at least it’s a different place and experience. I think we’ve got some thinkin to do

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitefish area can offer some good riding. Lots of family areas, but it only takes a night or 2 in any bar with a sled in the box of POS truck and you will be pointed to some decent riding. Go past columbia falls to Hungry Horse dam. Terrain there that is great. Need to time the storms in Montana as well.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input. So it does seem like less are going south to ride…
I’d be happy to explore more in BC but should have mentioned this is an annual trip where some buds come out from MB. It’s actually further for them to get to most riding areas in BC than to Yellowstone. They all have families and one is a teacher so they get locked into dates and most of the time when they come to BC it’s the middle of a dry spell. We’ve had real bad luck the last 3-4 years so figured try Yellowstone and if the snow sucks at least it’s a different place and experience. I think we’ve got some thinkin to do
Have you thought about or gone to the grizzly lodge, its a destination to hit for sure, always decent to great snow.

Wagonman

Reaction score
Spent a week in Island park last winter, snow was great and rode right from the cabin/house every day. There is a mix of riding with an extensive trail network so you can tour, hit some drainages then ride to West Yellowstone for lunch and have ravens peck holes in your seat!!!! There was plenty of snow as it snowed most of the week and was quite socked in so we never got to see some of the areas. Idaho falls is not a terribly far drive so there are things to do for any non riders and the staging areas had plenty of room for large trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched those Ravens sit on sleds and unzip handlebar and tunnel bags and steal food out of them. Smart birds

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do a snowbike trip to Whitefish once a year. It’s a lot of fun. No problem crossing the border. Of course we took a break during Covid. And like said above Hungry Horse Dam is where we ride. Lots of area to explore. Mostly tree riding but that’s what we do on the bikes.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us have a trip planned to Island Park in Feb, none of us have been there before but I contacted a fella on the snowest forum and he’s going to show us around or at least point us in the right direction.

Top Bottom