Fuel prices - Cardlock vs reg pump

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am l reading most of these wrong? Why would cardlock be more than retail?

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are gonna have to start bringing tidy tanks of fuel to bc when come out
you could be selling fuel in the parking lots were getting so ripped off right now on diesel and gas
I already do bring the slip tank but I usually need all of it to get back to were the sane fuel prices are.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Coop card lock and two Coop gas stations in Salmon Arm under the auspices of Armstrong Cooperative. As far as I know my membership only gets dividend payouts from what this local Coop offers.
I like the idea of a deal for members but I don’t think there are enough members to be able to get this kind of service. Is it worth trying? Absolutely.
I nominate Chris to start looking into it and report back by the end of the month.
If you get a cardlock card through your local COOP, and use it at other cardlock locations you get the dividend $$ back.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Coop Cardlock price varies with the area that I am in, wether its Alberta, BC, or SK, Or even different parts of Sask. Diesel in the Battlefords area has been 30-40 cents a litre cheaper on diesel this summer.. regardless my cardlock price is usually 5-7 cents a litre less than pump.

Now when I get bulk fuel dropped off its usually 15-18 cents cheaper than pump..

I don't go through much fuel compared to some, but I'm usually around $18k/year.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because when you’re a small fish, you pay for the convenience.
That’s what Petro Can told us when we asked why we are paying more than the pumps.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It never used to be… makes no sense why the price is higher as of late (been this way for awhile).
As stated… most that fill up at card locks don’t price check before they fill. Its not as simple as shopping as you drive along the row of gas stations in any town.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Coop Cardlock price varies with the area that I am in, wether its Alberta, BC, or SK, Or even different parts of Sask. Diesel in the Battlefords area has been 30-40 cents a litre cheaper on diesel this summer.. regardless my cardlock price is usually 5-7 cents a litre less than pump.

Now when I get bulk fuel dropped off its usually 15-18 cents cheaper than pump..

I don't go through much fuel compared to some, but I'm usually around $18k/year.
I just checked the rack rate today for Petro, Imperial, and Co-Op and they are all higher than the pump by good margin and that was almost all of BC and AB that I spot checked.

I get almost daily updates from Imperial/Esso and today it was almost 30 cents more $1.97 vs $1.69 at the local Chevron. 🤷‍♂️

It’s a large difference currently so maybe I am just not going through enough volume.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess this is why l always see dumptruck guys filling up at the Superstore.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just checked the rack rate today for Petro, Imperial, and Co-Op and they are all higher than the pump by good margin and that was almost all of BC and AB that I spot checked.

I get almost daily updates from Imperial/Esso and today it was almost 30 cents more $1.97 vs $1.69 at the local Chevron. 🤷‍♂️

It’s a large difference currently so maybe I am just not going through enough volume.
That is garbage.. the whole idea of filling at bulk station is slightly discounted for large volumes. 30c is flat out gouging.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is garbage.. the whole idea of filling at bulk station is slightly discounted for large volumes. 30c is flat out gouging.
I thought it was so you don't have to deal with people.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cardlocks are geared to large consumers, trucks that pull up and put in 500+ Liters at a time, and companies whose monthly fuel bill is in the tens of thousands per month or more. We do about $100k/year at work, and from what I've seen the prices are pretty much on par with what I pay at the pump. For us it's the convenience, the employee driving the trucks gets a fuel card good for any time of day, and we don't have to give them a credit card to purchase fuel and the risks associated turning an employee loose with a credit card.

There's not a lot of incentive for a cardlock to setup small users, there's paperwork and accounts to setup/monitor, and now they've become the creditor effectively loaning you money for your fuel until you pay your bill, assuming you do. There's certainly risk associated with it that a standard fuel station doesn't have. At a normal station you pull up and the fuel purchase is pre-authorized before you get the first drop.

I use Costco, I don't know how they make money doing it sometimes. The weekly average rack price for Petro-Can Diesel in Edmonton is $1.20/liter, add the 4cent excise tax, 17 cents carbon tax, 5% gst, you get $1.47/liter. Which is exactly what they are selling it for, which doesn't leave anything for trucking or profit.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Co-Op has bought all the Western Husky’s so that will likely increase availability but as you mentioned it may only be applicable for the ones operated by your local retailer.
Co-op bought half the Husky’s and Parkland bought the other half. (Parkland has Chevron, Fas Gas and Esso retail stations). I’m hoping the Husky that recently closed at the end of my street opens as a Co-op so I can use my fleet card in town again. Calgary Co-op sold everything here to Chevron.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today
IMG_3733.jpeg

Top Bottom