Stand up for your atv rights before they are lost!!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree stand up for our rights.

Ohv use gets a black eye for trash.

Yet campers near us who had no ohv at all left a big mess and the fire going.

It's has been reported with pictures and plate numbers.

Beer Belch

Reaction score
I had no idea things were getting so crazy out there. I clean up what I can on the trail but don't bring it back with me, I usually put it in a pile off to the side just so it's not scattered every where and the majority of the mess I do find is from the firearms community. This sport is a huge industry for Alberta and I bet more than 50% of the population owns some sort of off road machine. I hate to say it but I just read another forum about a possible off road licence with training in different aspects on what is responsible riding and the fines the government has implemented to those that break them. I think it's a good idea, pain in the azz but maybe it would educate more people who don't know the regulations as I most certainly did not know of a bunch of regulations that I do now know and would have continued to ride like I did if someone didn't raise a stink about people getting some nasty fines.I mean how the heck are people supposed to know if there is no training required to ride? Obviously common sense is not part of a lot of people's thought process as already posted at least the law would have some grounds to say, well you got the training and you know the laws. River riding was fun and honestly I didn't think it did much damage especially as most people wouldn't enter a water body unless their machine was water tight. And then there's the things a was not aware off like disturbing spawning grounds for our fish and I love to fish but I didn't give it a rational thought as doing damage while washing a little mud off my machine at the end of the day. Threads are started to hear people's opinions on different subjects this is just my 2.0

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Beer Belch. While mandatory training wouldn't eliminate these issues, I think it would go a long way towards reducing them. Training also has the additional benefit of helping riders to recognize their limits. What do most new riders do as soon as they unload their quad for the first time? I'd bet they (almost invariably) burn a bunch of donuts in the gravel road and then tear into the trails at 80km per hour, not realizing the nuisance they just made of themselves or the danger they just exposed themselves to. I know was that guy.

Beer Belch

Reaction score
I think what u carry in you need to carry out no excuses
If everyone just piled up there mess in a nice neat pile there will b piles everywhere

I agree with you, I don't add to the mess. I find it hard to bag up everyone else's though when the intension of my ride was relaxation and fun, not being a garbage man. At least it's easier for those who do clean up when it's in a pile. Don't get me wrong as it's a very noble thing to clean up the mess but I don't see anyone cleaning my sons mess up other than his mother and me, I'm not changing someone else's kids diapers just because I half to change my sons I may however toss other people's diapers to the side in hopes there mom and dad will pick up after them.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya but if we all pic up a little bit we could have clean riding areas
Problem is if some one see a garbage pile peaple seam to add to the pile

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am about a 8.6 trash collector .....

I was getting good at it following kawasaki's one yr, was at a nearby mud hole making sure a fine example of the female persuasion didn't lose anything, as she had so very little left on to lose

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't really see much being done to make little piles of garbage, with very little more effort it could go in a bag and out to the garbage bin, Your little pile will be spread out by the first passing 4 legged critter .

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Out near Alder Flats on the weekend, the group I was with picked up a lot of trash on the trails. I personally think this is absolute crap, if people have no common knowledge to put the empties or garbage back on their machine the same way it was carried in and actually respected the nature enough to enjoy it when out riding we wouldn't have a lot of these issues. We would also receive a lot more respect from others looking in and bashing the off-road community if this occurred. Its no different then throwing the trash out of your vehicle window into the ditch (like c'mon people give your heads a shake) we are very fortunate to live in this beautiful country with such amazing scenery and a vase amount of different scenery especially in Alberta, if you're going to disrespect the land you my friend don't deserve to ride in it and should just move elsewhere.

When I was in Panama last November I found it just disgusting how they all just threw their trash out into the ditches etc, and that's exactly how Canada would/could look if we didn't have clubs like 4H who spends countless volunteer hours cleaning up the ditches after the disrespectful folks. And soon enough all of our offload trails will look like it as well, I for one go quading to enjoy it but also find I nine times out of ten i am stopping to pick up more trash more then i'm able to enjoy the trails. I bring back loads of garbage due to someone else's lack of respect for the environment.

Beer Belch

Reaction score
It's most certainly a catch-22 isn't it, I pick the garbage up and dispose of it properly so the next litter bug can dump it again. Alberta needs the laws that bc has in place with plenty of signs that state the fine for littering. I'm not saying it's going to stop litter bugs, but it would help a lot when they see a sign that says $10.000 fine for littering. The way I see it if enough garbage builds up the government won't have a choice but to instate harsh penalties for stupid people. So by pilling it up so it's more visible gives me some hope that more can be done other than making litter bugs think it's alright when they see someone picked up their last mess. 9.5

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By signing up with Clubs and associations like AOHVA, you will be supporting groups the that will speak for the 'greater good' of OHV riders, the land and the environment. The cultural change to do the 'greater good' is being out paced by the amount of new ATV'ers that show up on the trails.
Its our role and responsibility to educate. There two ways to do it.... One way is to yell and scream and swear, call names and try to demoralize the rider.... usually winds up bad and no one learns.
The other way is to approach give advice, listen, reinforce the message with some kind of commitment to at least think about it and walk away hoping that they remembered at least 10% of what you said. I know, I was one of those a-holes many years ago.
If they don't play nicely, then call for reinforcements.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the ability to pack it in why do you loose the ability to pack it out? Just ignorant if you ask me, regardless if it is in a neat pile or not. Good gust of wind or a animal and it's not a neat pile. You would actually take the extra time to neatly stack your trash rather then just put it back in the bag? I wouldn't ride with you and if we were seen in a group you would get a ear full. I would actually pick up your trash to dump it on your front lawn.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the ability to pack it in why do you loose the ability to pack it out? Just ignorant if you ask me, regardless if it is in a neat pile or not. Good gust of wind or a animal and it's not a neat pile. You would actually take the extra time to neatly stack your trash rather then just put it back in the bag? I wouldn't ride with you and if we were seen in a group you would get a ear full. I would actually pick up your trash to dump it on your front lawn.

I think you misunderstood what he said. He said he picks up and piles OTHER peoples trash...but he does not carry it out. I'm guessing he takes his own trash with him.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So he actually takes the time to handle it but not deal with it. I understand you can't always pick up for everyone else and really if every individual took responsibility for their own this wouldn't hardly be a discussion. But if you actually take the time to move and pile it why not just bag it?

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of great replies here, hopefully the people that run this province chime in and here what the off road community has to say! Littering and riding shouldn't fall in the same boat as litter bugs are every where. Pack it in and out is the best way to be .

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's most certainly a catch-22 isn't it, I pick the garbage up and dispose of it properly so the next litter bug can dump it again. Alberta needs the laws that bc has in place with plenty of signs that state the fine for littering. I'm not saying it's going to stop litter bugs, but it would help a lot when they see a sign that says $10.000 fine for littering. The way I see it if enough garbage builds up the government won't have a choice but to instate harsh penalties for stupid people. So by pilling it up so it's more visible gives me some hope that more can be done other than making litter bugs think it's alright when they see someone picked up their last mess. 9.5

I like your theory, the more it piles up the sooner it will get dealt with by the authorities that govern this province. 10.0

Top Bottom