How fast can your life change?

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, you're a lucky man. I'm back sledding this year after taking most of the last two seasons off. I broke my neck in Quartz Creek on Dec 2, 2012, first ride of the year. I was lucky as well and I rode my sled out that day, not realizing that I fractured the C6 and C7 vertebrae. I'm gonna go back next weekend for the first time since. I am sure I will get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, but it is something I have to do. All the best on a speedy recovery man. You'll find out the same thing I did, the hills aren't going anywhere. They'll be there when you are ready.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
Thanks for sharing this so openly kyle. Glad your doing ok, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.. I agree life can change in the blink of an eye, and when you sit back ad think about it, it can scare you to death.. I cant count how often I walked away from something that could have killed me.. but try to get past the night tremors, as you cant let something like this stop you from living.... It likely wont hurt if it tames your riding down to a safer level (no offence intended). I know my person experiences in combination with getting older, has certainly affected my riding style somewhat.. If possible I like to try to keep out of harms way, but still want to have fun doing so

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kyle just checking in to see how your getting along, wondering if your now at home.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hey man. Yeah I'm at home now. Been here for about a week. I'm doing ok. Still not able to bare any weight on the leg. I went and had a check up with my surgeon last week and she said it was healing really well. All the swelling is almost gone. I saw my x rays prior to the surgery, my femur was actually broken in two places, 3 pieces. It's quite nasty.

Had my sled checked over. It needs a bit of work but should be ready to go for next season!

Thanks for the concern man, I appreciate it! It's nice knowing how close a bunch of sledders that's only ever met online can become in times like this. It's amazing to be a part of it. Thanks to all s&m community for the best wishes!

Kyle H.

Rust

Reaction score
Just read this start to finish! Crazy story, gives me the chills thinking about. No idea who you are dude, but glad to hear your on the mend. Merry Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your recovery is on the right track Kyle and thanks for sharin. Might be startin my 11 yr old on the hills this year and after reading your story I am also gonna adjust what I carry in my pack as well. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and Merry Christmas to ya.
P.S. Not letting my wife read this or she will never let our boy come to the hills with me.
Derek

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your recovery is on the right track Kyle and thanks for sharin. Might be startin my 11 yr old on the hills this year and after reading your story I am also gonna adjust what I carry in my pack as well. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and Merry Christmas to ya.
P.S. Not letting my wife read this or she will never let our boy come to the hills with me.
Derek

As bad of an experience this has been for me, the one thing that gets me thru this is the fact that so many people have read my story, and those people have the chance to prepare themselves better on the safety side of mountain riding. Even if I change one persons mind or outlook on this I feel that's a win. Have fun with your son. Don't let my experience put a damper on that. Just make sure you're prepared and stay safe, make good decisions. This all happened because I made bad decisions.

Thanks for the support man! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey man. Yeah I'm at home now. Been here for about a week. I'm doing ok. Still not able to bare any weight on the leg. I went and had a check up with my surgeon last week and she said it was healing really well. All the swelling is almost gone. I saw my x rays prior to the surgery, my femur was actually broken in two places, 3 pieces. It's quite nasty.

Had my sled checked over. It needs a bit of work but should be ready to go for next season!

Thanks for the concern man, I appreciate it! It's nice knowing how close a bunch of sledders that's only ever met online can become in times like this. It's amazing to be a part of it. Thanks to all s&m community for the best wishes!

Kyle H.

I'm glad to hear your back home and on the mend.

here's to you, you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure did. Pointless to wear a helmet if you don't use them

I am bad for at times for not doing up my chin strap on my helmet. I won't forget again. Hope you have speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing in such a positive manner.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I used to be bad for chin strap.... Have gotten a lot better after hitting a creek and having my helmet pop off like a rocket and land 20' away.
I got lucky on that one....

Speedy recovery man! That's some scary chit

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I used to be bad for chin strap.... Have gotten a lot better after hitting a creek and having my helmet pop off like a rocket and land 20' away.
I got lucky on that one....

Speedy recovery man! That's some scary chit
Awesome helmet cam footage though.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
ditto....even though I already knew it "should" be done up I can honestly say I have never done up the strap, that changes now

I am bad for at times for not doing up my chin strap on my helmet. I won't forget again. Hope you have speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing in such a positive manner.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Quick buckles sure would be a nice option. I seem to get stuck way too often...

they are available, used to have them hanging on the parts desk post at Cycle Works West in acheson

Top Bottom