Spot Satelite Messenger

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google Spot Messenger Reviews......I liked this one......

It appears to have recieved mixed reviews,

pros
Seriously rugged: water- temperature -and shock-proof; floats when dropped in water
24-hour support
Unique feature set well suited to outdoor activities
Flexible setup for alert message setup and recipients
Extremely long battery life
Partnership with GEOS Search & Rescue services
Works in areas without cellular coverage
Worldwide coverage
Less expensive than Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs)
2-way communication lets you send "I'm OK" or "HELP" messages from the device
Friends and family can view your position on Google Maps (provided you give them access)

some of the Cons....

GPS Satellite receiver not as sensitive as most modern handhelds; required unobstructed line-of-sight to the sky to work properly
Could not track indoors, in urban environments, in a vehicle, or in a jacket pocket No way to tell of a message was successfully sent or not
Poor documentation
Thumbscrews for battery compartment difficult to open outdoors (impossible while wearing gloves)
No Geofencing support

Conculsion:
SPOT's Satellite Messenger is a unique product with a feature set that could be a dream come true for both outdoor swashbucklers as well as their concerned family and friends.

SPOT's bright, red design and ultra-rugged specifications make it clear the unit is designed for some seriously harsh conditions. Battery life is outstanding, lasting for weeks of regular use.

Unfortunately, I found the GPS sensitivity poor relative to other GPS units on the market, and I was only able to get the unit to function properly by standing outdoors with a clear, unobstructed line-of-sight to the sky. Even moderate tree cover prevented the unit from getting reliable signals, and I was totally unsuccessful getting the unit to work at all in New York City -- indoors or outdoors, nor was I able to receive GPS signals inside a vehicle, or when carrying SPOT around in my jacket pocket.

One of the most exciting features of SPOT is the ability to perform real-time tracking and let friends and family check-in on your location (SPOTcasting). However, this feature's utility is greatly reduced by the poor GPS performance; you'd almost have to tape the unit to your head and be walking in a bare field to get solid tracking.

It wasn't always 100% clear whether the issue was poor GPS reception, or SPOT's own network reception. There are no reception indicators on the device, so there was no way of telling exactly why reception was so spotty.

Which brings me to my next complaint with SPOT: the LED signals are unclear at times. LEDs appeared to be blinking green and indicating everything was working fine, even when I had no GPS signal at all and messages were not being sent. There was no visual indication whether the unit had successfully sent a message or not, or whether the GPS was receiving signals and tracking my position. If you were really in a life-threatening emergency, you'd want some sort of confirmation that the device has successfully notified someone and the cavalry is on its way.

SPOT's 24-hour customer support answered my calls quickly and was friendly, but provided inaccurate information and didn't know how to perform basic functions like resetting a password.

SPOT is a good fit for strictly outdoor use and could be a great way for hikers, boy scouts, boaters, etc., to let friends and family know they're ok. SPOT provides an additional level of security in an emergency situation, and did work even in areas without cell phone coverage (provided I placed the unit in direct view of the sky and waited a few minutes.

SPOT is a niche product that will please those looking for an inexpensive alternative to Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs), but GPS and/or Globalstar's network reception were simply too poor to recommend SPOT for tracking loved ones during normal daily activities.

SPOT is a decent product that could be made into a great product by improving the onboard GPS receiver and making it clearer when the device is operating properly.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the neoprene case which I wear on my backpack strap so it gets a good signal.
Also, when you press the OK button, 2 leds will flash while it is attempting to send the message. When the message is received, it will go back to the single blinking led which lets you know it's on. I would assume that it does the same thing when 911 or Help is pressed. I haven't had to use the help or 911.
I think it's kind of funny that they tested it in an area (new york) that has cell coverage. I would think calling 911 would be much better than SAR there. Picture a bunch of people running around Times Square with beacons, probes and shovels :)
My wife got every message I sent the last time I was out.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
No cell service in the parking lot at the end of the day while having that beer?!?!? No Problem…press ‘OK’ and it texts/emails all the wives in our group to let them know we are off the mountain safe.

Buddy break his leg and need help ASAP, lost with no hope of getting off the mountain?!?!? No Problem…press help and it texts/emails the ladies with our location and the local RCMP’s number to get help.

Avy let loose and wipe out your group?!?!? No Problem…press 911 and it sends our location to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center whom call the Canadian SAR operations and track the rescue.

I’ve got one, used it up in Valemount this year…works perfectly. Put it in track mode then check out your day on Google Earth when you return.

We use it camping, hiking etc. their line is ‘Life After Cell Service’…will not go into the hills without it.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So to put it in tracking mode you just press the OK button and leave it on...right?
No cell service in the parking lot at the end of the day while having that beer?!?!? No Problem…press ‘OK’ and it texts/emails all the wives in our group to let them know we are off the mountain safe.

Buddy break his leg and need help ASAP, lost with no hope of getting off the mountain?!?!? No Problem…press help and it texts/emails the ladies with our location and the local RCMP’s number to get help.

Avy let loose and wipe out your group?!?!? No Problem…press 911 and it sends our location to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center whom call the Canadian SAR operations and track the rescue.

I’ve got one, used it up in Valemount this year…works perfectly. Put it in track mode then check out your day on Google Earth when you return.

We use it camping, hiking etc. their line is ‘Life After Cell Service’…will not go into the hills without it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice to see some postive stuff comming back on this,I like mine and it works good for me as well.
Even if you just running around long Lake or your local trails,It is nice to have that option anywhere you are.Went to visit my Bro in Calgary and sent him the link and turned on the unit added him and his cell phone and he knew exactly when to have dinner ready when we got there.It is not a 4 or 5 times a year unit.It has lots of uses.
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Same here...like that it is simple and consistent on sending a message. Have only used mine once in the mountains but it worked and the family appreciated it
Nice to see some postive stuff comming back on this,I like mine and it works good for me as well.
Even if you just running around long Lake or your local trails,It is nice to have that option anywhere you are.Went to visit my Bro in Calgary and sent him the link and turned on the unit added him and his cell phone and he knew exactly when to have dinner ready when we got there.It is not a 4 or 5 times a year unit.It has lots of uses.
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read a couple posts back about using it in a car,That explained why the tracking was a bit broken up(was on the dash of the truck)but that being said it still worked good enough to let family know my whereabouts for the most part,dinner was ready LOL!
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here is a view of the "Boys" out in Blue River today.
Summitric, Jrhighmark, Sledderglen, Mod900, Woodies, Sumx154, 162skidoo, Taz & Big_Doo. Tomorrow Rknight111 and Snowseeker are joining them.

Should be a good weekend for them.

Attachments

• BlueMap.jpg
    BlueMap.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there lost LOL!
Or looking for Submarine Ric!
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Actaully you can set it to track...they didn't.
Those boys don't turn much. Just drive right over what ever is in the way ;)

That is what I anticipated actually. I did not hink it would track like a GPS, just pings the current location. Still cool though. I cheaped out and just got the basic and insurance.

Ride SMART guys!!!!!!

Koby

Top Bottom